The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Goodall neck profile question

I've owned a 1993 Goodall Standard, and although it was a superb guitar (actually REALLY superb), I never bonded with it probably due to the neck profile. It was a bit too chunky for me, and it caused me to get fatigued a lot sooner than my other guitars. Long story short, I traded it.

I know Goodall offers a slim carved neck profile, but my question is... has Goodall changed their "standard" neck profile through the years? I have played a newer TROM at a store and their first Sinker guitar at Healdsburg (both stellar guitars), and I do not recall having an issue with either of those necks at the time. I do not believe either was a slim carved neck, but perhaps the neck profile was the same as my 93' and I was ignorant of this due to the GAS that was running through my veins.

I would like to own another Goodall someday, and again, I am curious if the newer models (2007 +) have a different neck than my old guitar without having to seek out a slim carved neck.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

A rare "Bump" in the Discussion section! Looking for some Goodall knowledge.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Small-shop variation

From 1992 until just a couple of years ago, Goodall ran a workshop in Hawaii that employed 13 people and produced up to ten guitars a week. All the necks were hand-carved, not CNC'd, which is how he and his son build necks today from their shop in Fort Bragg, CA.

Goodalls are very consistent in their quality, but blanks of wood vary, as do hand builders--who typically introduce small variations in every part of the guitar to suit the wood and to achieve a desired effect. So it's not surprising that even Goodall's "standard" neck profile will vary a bit from one guitar to the next, even if it's not specifically a thin-profile neck.

But unless you can do an on-the-spot comparison, it's hard to tell. I once had the opportunity at Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz, CA, to try all ten of the Goodalls they had in stock in a single afternoon. They were all "regular" necks, and the profiles indeed varied--but not by much, in comparison to the very nice R. Taylors hanging on the wall next to the Goodalls or the Lowdens hanging opposite.

As it turned out I went home that day with a Goodall.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 PM

Interesting question. I have a lefty 2008 Goodall Aloha GC and I love the neck because its fatter than my other guitars. I think you will find posts by searching that indicate the Goodall neck has remained pretty consistent over the years but mine if the only Goodall I have ever played so I can't say based on experience. Interesting how preferences differ. You found the chunky neck caused fatigue and I find slimmer necks require more hand pressure and I don't play as clean.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:40 AM

Default Goodall neck profile question

Yes the current 'Fort Bragg standard' Goodall neck is much different than their 'Hawaiian standard neck'. I know this to be true as I own a 2004 CJ (made on the big island) and a brand new GC made in NoCal. I actually had James reprofile my CJ in 2013 to make it a bit slimmer so I was pleasantly surprised when I recently played the GC (which subsequently followed me home). I called and spoke to Jane and James to see if it was a low profile model and then learned that their son Luke was shaping the standard stateside necks somewhat slimmer than the earlier models. I really love Goodall guitars and the new necks are great.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 AM

Default Neck profile

My Standard is not new but more recent than yours. I'm also having trouble getting use to the thick neck. It's borderline too thick, barely.

I didn't realize having him reprofile it was an option. I'll have to give them call.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

When I was selling/trading my Goodall, someone that was interested told me that they will do a neck "shave". However I remember him telling me it was around $800-$1000 to do so.

I think I got the answer I was looking for. Thanks to all that replied.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:37 PM

Thank you Steve for your insight on the differences between Hawaii and Fort Brag standard necks. Good to know because I hope to get another Goodall (perhaps 12 fret parlor) and if I buy new, I will specify the chunky style neck. I really love it. As a lefty, I may order custom anyway.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:52 PM

Funny how things turn out. I have relatively small hands for a man my size, but the neck on my Hawaii-built Goodall is the best fit I've come across...for me. It's my one total keeper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion