The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Default A switch-hitter with hybrid picking?

Never knew anything about this technique until after I'd started using it - trained in classical style, i.e. thumb-and-three-fingers with nails back in college, learned flatpicking over time out of stylistic necessity.

Then came the kitchen job this past year and washing dishes. Which meant the nails just didn't stand a chance. Problem is, got a weekly gig a couple weeks before the kitchen job, so something had to be done. Got a fingerpick set and started in, but it was not my first exposure to a thumbpick, and it was at least as cumbersome as one ever felt previously.

So now I keep a hybrid set with each guitar of a flatpick and two fingerpicks, and I guess it's become my main way of playing. What I've been surprised by, I guess, is how quickly I switch without much change (maybe my ears are too forgiving) when I go between thumb-and-three and hybrid picking on most of what I play.

Anyone else do much switching back-and-forth? Had good/bad experiences to relate?

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 PM

I've been flatpick user for 35+ years. Started hybrid a few years ago to handle some songs. Just started, a few months ago, putting a pick down and really going after fingerstyle.

So far, I love how they all seem to reinforce each other...
Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 PM

I flatpick and hybrid, using pick and three fingers. Sometimes I notice my fingers seemingly deciding on their own to switch back and forth between using the pick or fingers, but mostly I try to learn each song in a particular fashion.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 PM

You're certainly in outstanding company, with Amos Garrett and James Burton.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion