The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Elusive Alvarez AF66SHB

A few weeks ago, I went to a local GC and played a few guitars, namely the Alvarez AD66SHB. I thought it sounded pretty good, and was hoping to get my hands on the OM/folk version, but so far, I've only been able to find them in one location online. I contacted Alvarez directly, and was told they're currently shipping in small batches. I also contacted a specific music store, who said they could order one, but it would be full MSRP. I'm wondering if anyone has seen these anywhere, played any... I was originally thinking about getting another parlor, but have since decided to just go with an OM or somewhere in that size area. I'd like to be able to compare the AF60 with the AF66SHB to determine whether I really want a mahogany top or not, but it's looking somewhat unlikely at this point. I know there is an older similar model, but I don't care for that particular sunburst.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Sorry bout my last post. I mis-read the model number. Mine is the sb not thr shb

Last edited by sublro; 04-30-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:34 PM

You may have better luck scoring a MFA66 in Shadowburst. The Masterworks series has solid African mahogany top, and solid back and sides. A very nice folk, OM sized guitar.

I bought a customer return from Music123 at a great price through their ebay sales. Mine came with a hard case. The news ones have also come down a bit in price in various places.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:42 PM

Hm... That might be true. I saw one that was a good price, but it said 'scratches all over'. Hard to say if I'd be ok with that without seeing it first, and I don't want to hassle with returns.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:30 AM

The one I got listed scratches...turned out to be very light pick swirl only visible at certain angles. MF/M123 tend to overstate the defects, IME.

Good luck the MFA66 is a nice guitar that needs no upgrades.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 AM

Might be worth looking into, then. I will seriously consider it. Thanks for the input!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion