The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2001, 09:52 AM

Question Nut width

Hi, all -

I'm looking for an expert opinion.

Does "nut width" refer to the width of the physical nut or the outside dimension of the hi and low "E" strings?

Here's why I ask. I have a 614ce with a 1-7/8 nut (measured across the nut proper), which is wider than standard but available as a special.

I also have a Martin HD-35 with a 1-3/4 inch nut, measured the same way. I was under the impression that all Marting dreads have a 1-11/16 nut.

I'd appreciate any wisdom from those who know.

RfM
Old 10-22-2001, 03:05 PM

Cool

Complete physical width of the nut, as for the martin width I cant say except I have seen 1 3/4 necks on some 00 models. JW
Old 10-22-2001, 03:20 PM

Howdy,

Well, even though I probably know more about guitars and anything else in life...I hesitate to call myself an expert

But I always have known it to be exactly as it is stated: The Nut Width.

But, not to complicate things, you also have measurements between the bridge pins to condend with in some cases, as the width of the neck itself can vary on some instruments even if the nut width is the standard.

And yes, there are Martins with 1 3/4 (one and twelve sixteenths). The standard HD35 has a standard width. The 1 11/16" seems to have been adopted as a sort of an "industry standard" for many nut widths and I believe this to be due to Martin. If you brouse around the Martin site you'll find some models with the wider nuts such as D-45ge, but not being a Martin expert, I believe the wider necks are more prone to special editions and special orders?

Later,
-grm

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: gmccall ]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion