The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Default humidity is a big deal....to me

My Martin got a little dry this winter and I got it back to normal but with the humidity here in Indiana it started to get damp, dull sounding,higher action etc... My new A/c unit installed and tech telling me to leave fan running all the time is a mistake. The coils got damp as I understand it and I noticed the humidity in the house was running 75% ouch ( I use a gauge)...Turned fan to auto and now it is down to a comfortable 55%. In just a couple of weeks the guitar is back sounding great and action lower. I usually leave it in the case with the humidpak but with the 55% I'm leaving it out for now. It takes a while but humidity, to me, takes its toll.....

Mrbirdog
Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 PM

I had a similar experience, I got a hygrometer from Walmart to keep track of the humidity. I know it's not 100% accurate, but it's better then nothing.

I let my guitars out if it is in the 30-60% range, if it is lower or higher it I time for the case. Some people think I am nuts for tracking humidity, most of them are not into guitar and it takes some explaining to them to get the idea that guitars are wood and expensive so if you keep track of your cigars why wouldn't you keep track of a guitar
Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM

When a room is warmer then the outside temperature, humidity drops. So heating up a small room where the guitars are kept seems a good solution.
There are also small dehumifiers which use heat to get rid of dampness, I've seen a few for closet mounting, perhaps an idea? You can use additional stackable sillica gel packs to reduce R/H even more.

Ludwig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion