The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
I am pretty taken aback by some of the comments here bashing Martin. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean Martin is any less of a company for producing these.

No, I don't like it. But I recognize that obviously others do.
It's not obvious to me what others would like it.

I mean this isn't just a question of someone having different tastes in guitar tops.

And think of the poor guitars. They must be mortified to be seen in public decked out like that.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Was Chris Martin on vacation when this was approved?

Maybe the goal was to see how much noise could be generated on AGF.
Havent seen this much excitement around here since an outfit in Nebraska joined as a sponsor.

I recall a comment Chris made about his Father who nearly bankrupted the company with poor business decisions (acquiring a banjo company for example) during the late 60's and 70's:
"He should have stuck to his knitting."

This from a guy who brought us the popular CEO-7 and the wonderful Authentics.
Some things enhance the brand, and some dont.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I really thought it was a joke, until I saw the actual link on Martins website.
Umm.. Wow..
Lets just be thankful there will only be 50 of them out there..

This will likely be the butt of jokes for years to come though..
Old 07-07-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Was Chris Martin on vacation when this was approved?
Guess who wasn't on vacation.

“I have been interested in folk art for many years. I’m not sure why, but I’m intrigued by folk art that features the devil. You can imagine how intrigued I was last year when I saw the Louvin Brothers album cover on a T-shirt in Nashville. I had to get one," says Chris Martin IV, Chairman & CEO. “My friend Larry Barnwell sent me a copy of Charlie Louvin’s book. I’ve done some research on the Louvin Brothers and have a better appreciation of their devotion to authentic country music and in particular, their melodious harmonies. I’m really proud the family is allowing us to recreate their iconic album cover on this limited edition.”
Old 07-07-2014, 12:50 PM

Time to sell the Martins boys. CFMIV has lost his mind. Hopefully, Bob Taylor hasn't, and knows better.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-07-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: language
Old 07-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Default Chris was NOT on vacation

Oh my....

its worse than I thought.

Well, he runs a successful business, he must have a plan.
I just cannot see it from here.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Guess who wasn't on vacation.

“I have been interested in folk art for many years. I’m not sure why, but I’m intrigued by folk art that features the devil. You can imagine how intrigued I was last year when I saw the Louvin Brothers album cover on a T-shirt in Nashville. I had to get one," says Chris Martin IV, Chairman & CEO. “My friend Larry Barnwell sent me a copy of Charlie Louvin’s book. I’ve done some research on the Louvin Brothers and have a better appreciation of their devotion to authentic country music and in particular, their melodious harmonies. I’m really proud the family is allowing us to recreate their iconic album cover on this limited edition.”
You could make the argument that an unadorned Martin guitar is as iconic as any folk art out there. Both represent American heritage and creativity.
Mr. Martin, you don't need to try so hard...your product ain't broke...don't fix it.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Guest 429

Quote:
Confirms my hunch that the "need" for this limited edition began with the album cover...

Chris Martin IV needs to do some research on "folk art" because the album cover, designed by the tumultuous and tortured Ira Louvin, is pure, late 50s B-movie camp.

Ira used to smash his mandolins...

Last edited by Guest 429; 07-08-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
It's not obvious to me what others would like it.
I did not say the reasons were obvious, but the fact.

Quote:
I mean this isn't just a question of someone having different tastes in guitar tops.
Obviously it is, as this guitar's top is what the discussion is all about...
Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Maybe CF is planning to buy all 50 to decorate his house..
Maybe the 5 they sell will eventually be worth little enough to sand the image off the top and still be a good deal on a D28.

MSRP $4,666 I'm sure that's not a coincidence.

Martin D35 Johnny Cash #563
Martin HD28-2R
Taylor 810
Tanglewood Java Parlor
Gibson Flying V Faded
Fender Stratocaster (MIM)
Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM

If there was gonna be a Louvin sig, I would've wanted it to look like the one above, which is a D28 Mike Longworth customized for Charlie. I've been giving it a hard look on Gruhn's website.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwir View Post
I really thought it was a joke, until I saw the actual link on Martins website.
Umm.. Wow..
Lets just be thankful there will only be 50 of them out there..

This will likely be the butt of jokes for years to come though..
I hear ya. My thought was, "Did I doze off and not wake up until April Fool's Day?"
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Why would Martin think this is something new and edgy? Here is a photo of my first guitar when I was a kid back in the late 1950s. I'm pretty sure my parents didn't pay more than about $10 for it which is about what Martin's new Louvin Brothers painted guitar would be worth to me.

I think I will write an email to Chris Martin to ask him if he would please share with me some of the mushrooms he has been snarfling. They obviously must be pretty gnarly 'shrooms' to have made him think this was a good idea that would build the reputation of the quality of his guitars.

And why did he decide to ruin some otherwise exceptional D-28s with this silliness. I could perhaps understand putting it on something like the 1 models or other entry level guitars where he is already using a fair amount of non-wood materials, but on a D-28???

Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Why would Martin think this is something new and edgy? Here is a photo of my first guitar when I was a kid back in the late 1950s. I'm pretty sure my parents didn't pay more than about $10 for it which is about what Martin's new Louvin Brothers painted guitar would be worth to me.

I think I will write an email to Chris Martin to ask him if he would please share with me some of the mushrooms he has been snarfling. They obviously must be pretty gnarly 'shrooms' to have made him think this was a good idea that would build the reputation of the quality of his guitars.

And why did he decide to ruin some otherwise exceptional D-28s with this silliness. I could perhaps understand putting it on something like the 1 models or other entry level guitars where he is already using a fair amount of non-wood materials, but on a D-28???

And IF they're going to desecrate a Martin, why not do it on one of the little Formica jobs instead of a D-28?!?!?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I could perhaps understand putting it on something like the 1 models or other entry level guitars where he is already using a fair amount of non-wood materials, but on a D-28???
+1. I think that's what's causing the indignation. There's a really guitar under there. We're not talking Martin trying to move in on the Taylor Swift model.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion