The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 AM

Talking

As a long time member of several bluegrass bands, we always counted on 9 songs for a half hour set, or festival show.

At about two minutes a song, it leaves almost enough time for banjo tuning
Old 07-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Default money?

Well, if you're playing for money..you need to know how to play all of them!!..I've seen people in Nashville get tipped over $100 to play certain songs. The big thing now is getting a bidding war between two different groups of people for 1 of 2 songs. The other night in a bar on Broadway I saw a guy have $150 in his right hand from some guys from Alabama wanting to hear Sweet Home Alabama. He had $225 in his left hand from some guys wanting to hear another song. After the bidding he took the money (from both hands), put it in the tip jar, and played only one song!!!...Cha Ching!!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Figure one song for every 3 minutes, and you'll be good to go.
Yup. This. I play in a duo and even with the banjo taking a lead or two per song still in the 3-3.5 minute range.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikland View Post
Personally, I only need 2. Three at the most. I doubt it would take longer than that to clear out the bar.
My fear as well! Lol
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Personally, I only need 2. Three at the most. I doubt it would take longer than that to clear out the bar.
That's hilarious Thanks for a good laugh mate
Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Well, if you're playing for money..you need to know how to play all of them!!..I've seen people in Nashville get tipped over $100 to play certain songs. The big thing now is getting a bidding war between two different groups of people for 1 of 2 songs. The other night in a bar on Broadway I saw a guy have $150 in his right hand from some guys from Alabama wanting to hear Sweet Home Alabama. He had $225 in his left hand from some guys wanting to hear another song. After the bidding he took the money (from both hands), put it in the tip jar, and played only one song!!!...Cha Ching!!

Sounds really scummy. Why didn't he just play both. You can't take money for a promise and then not keep it.. I wouldn't ever tip that guy again.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM

"A fool (and a drunk) and his money are soon parted" ... I mean seriously, why would anyone who was sober pay $150 to hear a cover of "Sweet Home Alabama". I wouldn't pay $150 to hear Lynyrd Skynyrd play it for me, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflink View Post
Sounds really scummy. Why didn't he just play both. You can't take money for a promise and then not keep it.. I wouldn't ever tip that guy again.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM

I play a four hour gig; usually 45 min on with a 15 min break. I usually play almost the first full hour and then 3 - 45 min sets so that it ends on the hour. My setup includes a looper that I use a few times through the night and allows songs to be extended a bit.

I find that I need about 50 songs give or take. I always have a few more in each setlist to allow for some flexibility. In my opinion, a setlist should never be written in stone - you have to get a feel for the audience and play to them. That usually means playing something that you haven't prepared or haven't played in years. I like the feel of an impromptu performance - it makes your adrenalin pump a bit, and keeps boredom from setting in. I have arrangements for about 350 songs (originals and covers) on an iPad. The list grows a bit every week.

When I advise my son on how to play to an audience I always emphasize that you have to play them something they recognize before they realize that you're any good. I've heard people say just that - "Play me something I know so that I can tell if you're good or not". Once you have the audience on your side, they'll listen to anything you play.

To start, if your list is limited, open with your second best song (make sure it's a familiar one) and end the set with your very best. Build momentum through the set, slow it down a bit, and then blow them away at the end.

Do it a few times and you'll soon find that you don't have enough time to play all the songs you want to do.

Mike
Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I play in three bands - well two trios and a bluegrass 4/5 piece,k and can play solo.

Whether it is a concert (listening audience) or a restaurant or pub gig (latter I tend to avoid now) I work on five minutes a song. This includes applause, intro shtick, retuning, changing instruments, etc.

However pub/bar/restaurant gigs are NOT concerts. It is always a challenge to capture the attention of the audience and build up a rapport but it cannot be taken for granted. Therefore they won't mind (or even notice0 if you don't play for five minutes. I tend not to take breaks - unless I need the loo, or want to drink a coffee etc., as I find sitting there - doing nothing is not comfortable. Also one should never "noodle" - as it seems to discomfort the customers - although a simple 12 bar instrumental often goes down as well as a complex song.

For concerts they have come to listen to you and so you should be entertaining them in the given time as much as possible. This requires making contact with them, relating to them, having a little bit of "stand-up"
humour up your sleeve, and being prepared that if anything goes wrong with your gear - they you have a back up.
In the latter circumstance we can often work to four minutes per number.

Also arrange with compere/m.c. as to whether you will do the faux finish, and then encore number! It's an old fashioned and hackneyed ploy but it tends to make audiences feel they've had a better time.

Just my POV.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
I averaged 35 to 40 songs per night...give or take a few. That's a lot of vocals when going 3 to 4 nights in a row. I now keep about 10 instrumentals in reserve for diner crowd, stretching sets or for voice resting.
This.

I have been working up some solo guitar for the same reason.

If you get a three-set gig, a lot of times you can get away with repeating a few tunes. In fact, sometimes people will ask for a repeat.

A farmers market gig can be a good way to polish up and rehearse in public.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Guest4562

I have always heard the number 40 in response to this. I don't think you'll use that many, but I do think it's good to have about 1/4 to 1/3 more than you need. Not all songs are gonna work for every venue or even the time of night in any given venue. You need spares and the ability to shift gears.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Depends on the type of music you play and the requirements of the job. When I was playing regularly, I had about 8 hours of repertoire I could call on. Some of those were really just chord melody hacks from lead sheets to fill requests. I probably had 4-6 hours of reasonably solid repertoire I cycled through, with mostly favorites and the more difficult pieces played each gig and others in rotation to keep them under my fingers.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
That's a good question. I was playing on a camping trip with some friends and they all felt I should try playing at some local cafés. My repertoire isn't enormous but I could probably fill an hour.
Heh, same here. I'll be playing over at a friend's house, and they'll say "hey, you're pretty good, you should play for money..." and I'm like, "nawww, no way, nawwwww...." and then I'm thinking about it all the way home.

I knew one girl who was in that situation, but really WANTED to get gigs in spite of her stage fright. She volunteered to pick at a coffee shop for 30 minutes, just to get the feel of it. Crawl before you walk, and all that, you know.......
Old 07-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I can relate to that. Will be doing my first gig in about 7 weeks. I figure I will fill up with tip jar with people telling me to stop playing!

To the OP, I was figuring about 30 songs for two 50-55 minute sets but I will be prepared for 35-40 in case my patter isn't well received or I have too many 2-minute numbers.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
This is a good rule of thumb for a solo act.

So figure 15 songs per 45 minute set times how many sets the gig requires. Should leave you with a few extras which is never a bad idea.
Yep, yep.

3 min per song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion