The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

I was in the same boat 3 years ago and played a lot of guitars in that price range (30+), many on your list. I made a list of important features I really wanted: nut width, neck profile, top woods, finishes, fretboard material, etc. and ultimately went for an RK RD-316 dread: Adi top, solid mahogany body, nitro finish, ebony fretboard and bridge...top dollar appointments for well under $1K with the case, shipped. Later, when looking for a smaller fingerstyle guitar, I picked up an Eastman AC508 Grand Concert...beautiful Englemann top, slothead, solid mahogany, nitro finish and ebony fretboard/bridge...just over $1K with a case shipped. Both are fantastic playing and sounding guitars and bring me joy when I play them. Most of the others I tried were missing one or more of the features I really wanted, even though many of them were great playing and sounding instruments. Once I knew what I wanted, the decision was pretty easy!

It is great that there are so many good guitars to choose from these days...good luck in your search!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 PM

I'd go for a Larrivee 02 or 03 series over any of the others you listed.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo21 View Post
I'm new to the site but not to buying guitars. Just Purchased a Blueridge Parlour BR-341 yesterday. Been chasing parlours for about 5 months. Was looking to upgrade from my Alvarez AP-70. Served it's purpose. Strictly for country blues. But this Blueridge is something else entirely. It actually has more bass and sustain than my Martin OM -28v. I go back and forth between them just to prove it to myself. I've tried every factory parlour I could get my hands on .

Alvarez, Eastman,Breedlove, Larrivee, Washburn.

BR-341 blows them out of the water. Now you can easily pay over $4000.00 EX: Goodall, Foggy Bottom, Santa Cruz. Those will all be custom and you won't know what you've got until they build it and you pay for it.

There is a compromise between the Blueridge and some of the other factory Parlours.

The neck and nut width on all of the Blueridge parlours (341,361,371) are the same (1& 7/8) and that neck is wide. Very different from my OM-28 and especially the Alvarez, so you have to adjust to it. But the bass is worth the money alone
Great review! Mine is on its way, should have it in the next few days.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingfool1979 View Post
Should I try to get an Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King, etc with electronics preinstalled or get a fishman/k&k installed (or install myself) or just try to mic for live performance in my mancave?
I wouldn't buy a guitar with preinstalled electronics (unless I really loved the guitar AND the sound of those particular electronics). Go for the guitar you really love (and can afford), and then hook it up with the PU system you like best. They differ so much in sound, and everybody got their own taste for what they should sound like. I have the LR Baggs Lyric, which I like, but I might put the KK in my Eastman.

How do you perform live? If you sit down and play, without a band, you might just put a mic in front of the guitar. That's by far the best sound IMO, but if you move around a lot or play with other musicians that might not work...
Eastman 515 mandolin
+many ukuleles

http://www.youtube.com/baronk69
Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
The best guitar I've purchased for the money in the last few years
is a Yamaha L Series (2014) ARE LS 16

Infinite sustain, really well balanced sound, esp. compared to older Yamaha's I've owned, attractive, high quality construction, yet lighter than older/similar models. Includes amplification system.
A LOT of guitar for < $700.
Absolutely, 100% agree. The old 'L' series were great (I have owned a couple of LL6s and an LL26), and the new series has managed to improve on them substantially and I have an LL16D A.R.E on order. After years of owning many higher end guitars I always seem to gravitate back to Yamaha. Good enough for Bert Jansch, James Taylor, Paul Simon, Jimmy Page...
A friend owns, on my recommendation, the earlier LS6 and it sounds superb. Yamaha know what they're doing with laminates.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 AM

Appreciate everyone's replies. Sad to say, I am no closer to making a decision. Looked at reviews and videos last night but still not being pulled in any particular direction. I'd really prefer to spend less than $500 on 1 guitar and buy 2 so I can mix things up. Going back to Recording King, Blueridge ,etc opinion, any thoughts on RO-310, RNJ-17-NA, RNJ-26-NA, RO-06-FE3, ROS-16, RO-10, ROS-10, or RD-126 or Blueridge BR343, , BR143, BR-43, BR163 or Flinthill FHG-027 or FHG-026. They are all somewhat near $500-600. Eastman's will be out of my price range unless I can find one used...I do have access to a ac322ce for $500 that can be thrown into above for opinion. Or I could revert back to Seagull and get an Entourage S6 or S6 Slim or upgrade to a better folk or mini jumbo model in that brand. Or can look at the Yamaha's as were mentioned, Guitar Center does carry those so I can try them out and do have a 15% off coupon. Or I have alot of gift cards through amazon.

Last edited by dancingfool1979; 06-26-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
The best guitar I've purchased for the money in the last few years
is a Yamaha L Series (2014) ARE LS 16

Infinite sustain, really well balanced sound, esp. compared to older Yamaha's I've owned, attractive, high quality construction, yet lighter than older/similar models. Includes amplification system.
A LOT of guitar for < $700.
I would also recommend a Yamaha LS 6 (laminated back & sides/solid top) or LS16 (all solid wood). A whole lot of bang for the buck. I recently replaced an LL6 (dread) which I'd previously foolishly sold...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 AM

I also have an option to purchase a Seagull Artist Mosaic Cutaway dreadnought for $800 which is about $400 off with tax. That is through craigslist.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGull View Post
Seagull, Eastman, Walden, Guild GAD series...
Quote:
any suggestion for an Eastman or walden or Seagull? I played a ac322ce that was for $500, sounded nice but almost too Taylorly. Walden, played a g570 with cedar top...sounded great but had b-band electronics which scares me (any different opinions?), could get that for $300. Seagull, s6 original didnt strum well but could have been a dud. Wondering if I should try s6 slim or entourage or maybe a folk/mini jumbo model. Thoughts FloridaGull?
Sorry - I usually post pics and links, but was using a smartphone yesterday...

Are you interested in a wider nut (1 3/4") or the standard 1 11/16"? That would impact my suggestions. Briefly, Godin acoustics (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, and Art & Lutherie) - http://www.godinguitars.com/ - are all well made (in Canada!) guitars - the Seagulls (generally) have the wider, 1.8" nut, while the other brands have the 1.72" nut.

In terms of Walden - http://www.waldenguitars.com/ - all the guitars in the 500-600-700-800 series have a 1 11/16" nut - in the 1000, 2000, 3000, and Madera series, the Grand Auditorium and OM models sport a 1 3/4" nut, while the dreads retain the 1 11/16" nut.

The Guild GAD series are very nice - here's that link - http://www.guildguitars.com/instrume...ies=GAD+Series - I own 2 of the previous incarnation of these - from 2005-2011 they had a lot more "good stuff" - like bone nut and saddle, ebony bridgepins and endpin, Grover tuners, wood binding - that the 2012-present models lack - but they still sound great!

Give me a nut width preference, and a wood combination you'd most desire, and I'll be more specific...

You seem to have a handle on Eastmans...
Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 AM

I'd be looking for a good used Guild D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee or D-50 Bluegrass Special built in Tacoma, WA in the mid 2000's.

Adi tops and incredibly good instruments!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGull View Post
Sorry - I usually post pics and links, but was using a smartphone yesterday...

Are you interested in a wider nut (1 3/4") or the standard 1 11/16"? That would impact my suggestions. Briefly, Godin acoustics (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, and Art & Lutherie) - http://www.godinguitars.com/ - are all well made (in Canada!) guitars - the Seagulls (generally) have the wider, 1.8" nut, while the other brands have the 1.72" nut.

In terms of Walden - http://www.waldenguitars.com/ - all the guitars in the 500-600-700-800 series have a 1 11/16" nut - in the 1000, 2000, 3000, and Madera series, the Grand Auditorium and OM models sport a 1 3/4" nut, while the dreads retain the 1 11/16" nut.

The Guild GAD series are very nice - here's that link - http://www.guildguitars.com/instrume...ies=GAD+Series - I own 2 of the previous incarnation of these - from 2005-2011 they had a lot more "good stuff" - like bone nut and saddle, ebony bridgepins and endpin, Grover tuners, wood binding - that the 2012-present models lack - but they still sound great!

Give me a nut width preference, and a wood combination you'd most desire, and I'll be more specific...

You seem to have a handle on Eastmans...
If you could give recommendations in both size nuts that woudl be good. I'll be honest though, I tried the s6 original the other day and it may have been a dud, but strumming didnt sound good and part of me wants to contribute it to the wider neck and me not strumming it very clean. I know the wider neck is better for fingerstyle but I'm definitely more of a finger picker.

Woods wise, I have always like the cedar top of the Seagulls as feel they fall between Martin/Taylor and are their own sound. Think the wild cherry laminate compliments the S6 and Entourage models. So part of me thinks I should try entourage s6 or do I may a huge leap to mosaic artist folk with the wider nut or maybe a mini jumbo. I tried the entourage mini jumbo before but it seemed tinny to me.

I tend to think i like spruce/mahogany combo as my washburn d10 is that and has always sounded nice. If I buy 2 guitars, i would like for them to at least have different wood combinations.

Most importantly, I always play solo, do like singing on top of the guitar so consider myselfa singer/songwriter so open to your suggestions for tonewood and guitars to look at. I am 5'8'' skinny build so sometimes dreadnoughts can be uncomfortable when they are normal size.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:03 PM

Just sent you a PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM

BLUERIDGE!

Blueridge all the way.

My new Blueridge BR183A is the equal of any of the best guitars I've owned and better than most of them.

This includes Martin, Collings, Taylor and even some vintage Martins and Gibsons.

Mine played great and sounded great right out of the box.

I thought my BR163 was pretty spectacular...the BR183A is even better.

I love everything about it and it has a tone and feel similar to my Collings OM2A. Just as loud, deep and thick sounding but the highs are smoother and warmer than the Collings, which could sound a little bright and edgy sometimes.

Highly recommended!

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 06-26-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Hey all. I am looking to buy a few guitars and want best bang for the buck. Had surgery a few months ago and sold several to pay for it and now rebuilding. I currently only have a Washburn D10. I mainly strum with my fingers but occasionally a pick. dont fingerstyle too much yet. I love Ed Sheeran type music and sound with lots of acoustic and its only ever me, not trying to cut through a mix. With all that said, do yall have recommendations? Want to spend under $1K. I tried a seagull s6 original but to me it did not strum well (was bought from amazon so may have been a dud or for strumming maybe the slim would be better?). Now looking at Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King, Loar to name a few. Thinking the OM/000 bodies may work better for me and be the sound i'm after as do want it to be comfortable to play and intimate. What do yall recommend? Do you recommend any of those names and if so, which models in particular? I know the BR163 gets alot of love as does the E10OM. I'm all ears. I will be buying some GS mini's to replenish but honestly they are fun but have never rung out to me to sound like a full guitar. Have not really been a Taylor fan for some reason or Martin for all that matter, guess I like being different and love best bang for the buck instead of name.

For gigging in the mancave, I use a TC Helicon FX150 and have a new TC Helicon Play Acoustic.

You can get a mint condition Martin D-1 for way under that budget, maybe around $600. They even make a cutaway/electrified version if you prefer that. It's not a fancy looking guitar but has 90% of the sound of the higher end models and is solid wood (okay, the neck is laminate). I had a higher-end Recording King for a while and I sold it immediately -- Chinese crap is Chinese crap and it had many little things that were just wrong in terms of serious playing and sound. The other thing about a Martin is that should you ever wish to sell it, it's not at all difficult. I'm sure there are other candidates but it's very hard to beat a D-1 for value and it is well under your budget.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
If you could give recommendations in both size nuts that woudl be good. I'll be honest though, I tried the s6 original the other day and it may have been a dud, but strumming didnt sound good and part of me wants to contribute it to the wider neck and me not strumming it very clean. I know the wider neck is better for fingerstyle but I'm definitely more of a finger picker.

Woods wise, I have always like the cedar top of the Seagulls as feel they fall between Martin/Taylor and are their own sound. Think the wild cherry laminate compliments the S6 and Entourage models. So part of me thinks I should try entourage s6 or do I may a huge leap to mosaic artist folk with the wider nut or maybe a mini jumbo. I tried the entourage mini jumbo before but it seemed tinny to me.

I tend to think i like spruce/mahogany combo as my washburn d10 is that and has always sounded nice. If I buy 2 guitars, i would like for them to at least have different wood combinations.

Most importantly, I always play solo, do like singing on top of the guitar so consider myselfa singer/songwriter so open to your suggestions for tonewood and guitars to look at. I am 5'8'' skinny build so sometimes dreadnoughts can be uncomfortable when they are normal size.
Seagull models come in 3 different nut widths - 1.72", 1.8" and 1.9". Here is a link to their spec page for your reference. You may like the Folk models because of their body size.
http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion