The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Default Which Guitar...Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King, Loar, Seagull...

Hey all. I am looking to buy a few guitars and want best bang for the buck. Had surgery a few months ago and sold several to pay for it and now rebuilding. I currently only have a Washburn D10. I mainly strum with my fingers but occasionally a pick. dont fingerstyle too much yet. I love Ed Sheeran type music and sound with lots of acoustic and its only ever me, not trying to cut through a mix. With all that said, do yall have recommendations? Want to spend under $1K. I tried a seagull s6 original but to me it did not strum well (was bought from amazon so may have been a dud or for strumming maybe the slim would be better?). Now looking at Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King, Loar to name a few. Thinking the OM/000 bodies may work better for me and be the sound i'm after as do want it to be comfortable to play and intimate. What do yall recommend? Do you recommend any of those names and if so, which models in particular? I know the BR163 gets alot of love as does the E10OM. I'm all ears. I will be buying some GS mini's to replenish but honestly they are fun but have never rung out to me to sound like a full guitar. Have not really been a Taylor fan for some reason or Martin for all that matter, guess I like being different and love best bang for the buck instead of name.

For gigging in the mancave, I use a TC Helicon FX150 and have a new TC Helicon Play Acoustic.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 AM

the Recording king 0,00 and 000 slot-head series of 12 fret guitars are great instruments and wont break the bank, I love mine..check out the website..
http://www.recordingking.com/product...ars-all-models
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

All are good. All are different. All are worthy of the investment. You just really to go play them and choose what works for you. What works for you may not work for me and vice-versa. I can say that all of the brands you mention will have mostly good reviews.

Todd
Old 06-25-2014, 12:30 PM

For just jamming in the living room, I LOVE my GS mini.
But for something larger, also look at them Alvarez Artist series. The af66 is all mahogany, folk size.
The AF70 is solid spruce topped. There is something for every taste, and under $500.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Seagull, Eastman, Walden, Guild GAD series...
Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Cool

I haven't played any of the ones you mentioned except the Seagull, but I hear good things about all of them. The Pacific Rim is producing some very nice guitars.

I would just say you might want to revisit the Seagull again. I owned an S6 original, and I'm telling you the sound just jumped out of that guitar, especially when strummed. Maybe I just had an exceptional one, or maybe you just had a dud, but you might try another one and see what happens.

Best of luck in your search!
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM

I've had nothing but very positive experiences with Blueridge and RK. I have a BR-163A currently - perfect for finger style with 1 3/4 nut, solid adirondack over solid EIR. it's a killer guitar.
A few Telecasters
Old 06-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Take a look at a Martin OM1-GT. They are at the top of your price rance but can still be had for just under $1,000. They play great finger picked and sound great strummed with fingers and pick. It will provide you with the Martin Sound.
Taylor 214e SB DLX
Old 06-25-2014, 01:46 PM

any suggestions to narrow down the list, model # wise. thats alot of recording king models right there
Old 06-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesop View Post
I've had nothing but very positive experiences with Blueridge and RK. I have a BR-163A currently - perfect for finger style with 1 3/4 nut, solid adirondack over solid EIR. it's a killer guitar.
is the br-163a good for strumming with your fingers? do you have a pickup in it?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyg View Post
the Recording king 0,00 and 000 slot-head series of 12 fret guitars are great instruments and wont break the bank, I love mine..check out the website..
http://www.recordingking.com/product...ars-all-models
any suggestions to narrow down to a few model #'s? thats alot of recording king models to look at. any you've been successful with or had something special for finger strumming?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGull View Post
Seagull, Eastman, Walden, Guild GAD series...
any suggestion for an Eastman or walden or Seagull? I played a ac322ce that was for $500, sounded nice but almost too Taylorly. Walden, played a g570 with cedar top...sounded great but had b-band electronics which scares me (any different opinions?), could get that for $300. Seagull, s6 original didnt strum well but could have been a dud. Wondering if I should try s6 slim or entourage or maybe a folk/mini jumbo model. Thoughts FloridaGull?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Since you mentioned Ed Sheeran as an influence I would like to point out that he has played a Little Martin most of his career. However he recently switched to a Martin custom shop Parlor which sounds amazing... You can hear it pretty well in this video

If you like the tone of the smaller scale Parlor guitar, the best one I've found on a budget is the Alvarez 66SB. These are going street for around $450 and imo well worth it, they sound amazing. I will eventually own one.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 06-25-2014, 02:03 PM

You can see what I own in my signature.

The RK - ros10 is a good guitar but not in the same class as my Eastman soundwise. Neither is their more direct equivalent - the RO-10. They are exceptional for the money though and probably 90% as good as my Eastman.

I like the Seagull brand in general, but their smaller sized guitars have never done much for me - even the all solid ones.

That leaves the BR 163 and the E10OM - apples to oranges IMO. Different woods.

The 143A is the basic equivalent to the E10om. Adi over mahogany.
143=E6om
163 = E8om
163A = E20om

I actually preferred the E6om to the E10om. The Adi top wasn't as sweet or as loud straight out of the box. I tried all the Eastmans listed above and preferred the E6, but I have a strong preference toward mahogany.

I don't think you could go wrong with either an Eastman or a Blueridge. A few things to consider:
1) BR has a thinner profile neck - Eastman is quite similar to a Martin
2) BR has poly finish, Eastman - nitro. The poly is much hardier.
3) The 'a' series OM (Adirondack) BR's have a 1.75 nut - the others have 11/16ths. All the Eastman OM's have 1.75" although their string spacing may be slightly tighter than some.
4) Eastman has satin neck. BR is full gloss.

I like a thicker neck and loved the sound of the Eastman immediately. Loud, full and responsive. I have NOT played the BR counterparts but most people that get 'em hang on to 'em.

Hope you find this helpful to some degree.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 PM

dancingfool1079,
Of the brands you mentioned, I prefer the Seagull. You want an OM/000 size (15" lower bout) but Seagull only makes larger and small sized guitars. The Seagull Folk is 14.76" wide at lower bout and the closest to OM/000 size.

You like Ed Sheeran's sound and he plays a Little Martin with 0 body size, HPL B/S, Stratabond neck, 23" scale; but you don't like Martins. MSRP of $599. Not at all like an OM/000
http://www.martinguitar.com/new/item....html?Itemid=6

Why not look for a used OM-1 if you want 1-3/4 nut width or a 000-1 (000-m) if you want 1-11/16" nut width. Used they would be similar price to your other brands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion