The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Default Is Madagascar Rosewood on the same list as Brazilian Rosewood

is madagascar on the endangered Species list?

Trying to figure our what wood to use for my new classical.

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM

You may or may not want to consider this input as you make your decision.
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic....ogging_crisis/
max
Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Any material that you consider using - make sure your builder can offer a guarrantee that it was obtained legally and responsibly, in writing. If you choose to use materials that are or may soon be CITES listed, then it is much more important, and expect that the quality of the documentation to be reflected in the price -
Old 06-03-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Any material that you consider using - make sure your builder can offer a guarrantee that it was obtained legally and responsibly, in writing. If you choose to use materials that are or may soon be CITES listed, then it is much more important, and expect that the quality of the documentation to be reflected in the price -
Or if you plan on simply playing and enjoying the guitar the rest of your life, and have no overwhelming urge to take it overseas ... do just that - Enjoy it.

There is plenty of legal Madagascar around. Martin is making wonderful guitars out of it.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 PM

how about Cocabolo B&S

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
how about Cocabolo B&S
Yeah, what about this? I'm hearing that it is becoming more difficult to obtain and heading down a similar road. Anyone know?

2013 Rockbridge slope
Old 07-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Cites

Buying a martin with madagascar back nd sides its a 2007 is it legal to ship from usa to canada
Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Seems to me,sustainable,renewable is the way its going.Closely controlled(in some cases at the point of a gun)...because there is a lot of money involved and vested interests want to make sure only the local population benefits monetarily(jobs to feed families).

So,yes today i'm looking at a new Martin with Madagasgar. Being released in small quantities.It will be available down the road,but i can only think the price will go upupup...
Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Some years ago, I was admiring a beautiful piece of wood in a luthier's workshop[. I asked about it and he said it was Mad-Rose. He said that he had bought some and then found out about its sourcing and would not, in conscience, use it. indeed he said he felt guilty possessing it although it was bought and paid for and documented.

Would I buy a used guitar with mad-rose ? such as a Martin Authentic ? possibly, but would I order it ? No way.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Would I buy a used guitar with mad-rose ? such as a Martin Authentic ? possibly, but would I order it ? No way.
why wouldn't you order it?

nothing fancy just straight grain, im even thinking about a color

Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Some years ago, I was admiring a beautiful piece of wood in a luthier's workshop[. I asked about it and he said it was Mad-Rose. He said that he had bought some and then found out about its sourcing and would not, in conscience, use it. indeed he said he felt guilty possessing it although it was bought and paid for and documented.

Mad Rose has a lot in common with blood diamonds...
et al
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Mad Rose has a lot in common with blood diamonds...
ah o ok the plot thickens
Old 07-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Whether or not Mad rose is CITES listed, it probably should be. CITES listings are undertaken at the behest of the local government, and if they're cashing in on deforestation they're not going to go that way, even when they should. Madagascar is a huge, ancient, and distinct ecosystem that is being torn apart to feed the market for exotic woods. We're only a tiny part of that market, and you could say we're not the problem, but, of course, we are, in a small way. I have a few sets of Mad rose myself; mostly gifts from a friend, and all 'legal'. At this point I'm not sure they're ethical, and they will probably sit on the shelf.

Meanwhile, there are 'local' woods that sound as good that are difficult to sell, just because they don't look like the 'usual suspects'. Some have their own beauty, like quartered oak. Others, like Osage Orange, have an interesting history (it probably evolved to be spread by mammoths, and nearly went extinct when it's primary vector did). It's entirely possible to get a guitar that will have all the performance of the exotics, look terrific, you can take it anywhere without any hassles about 'endangered species', and (at the moment) you won't pay a big upcharge for the wood.

Finally, if you're aware of the impending (although maybe deferred) ivory ban, you'll have a window into what could well happen with any exotic at any time. You can agree with the logic behind it or not, but the fact remains that there are interests making the argument that any trade in an endangered species, whether it's CITES listed or not, simply fuels the black market and encourages poaching. That Madrose might look like a good investment now, but if a total ban goes through there goes the value. Just talk to the folks who invested in ivory.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
how about Cocabolo B&S
I have been told by a luthier that i know and trust -that wood is very hard to work with -it has a typical allergic reaction when its worked with - many luthiers will not touch that wood because of that .
searching the net will also confirm this . i have some wood that came from africa ( green in color ) that practically knocked me out when i cut into it -
I had a very bad reaction - i know what its like -not nice.

You also need to know Maddy is a very good guitar wood - but only Brazilian rosewood sounds like Brazilian rosewood. !
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
I have been told by a luthier that i know and trust -that wood is very hard to work with -it has a typical allergic reaction when its worked with - many luthiers will not touch that wood because of that .
searching the net will also confirm this . i have some wood that came from africa ( green in color ) that practically knocked me out when i cut into it -
I had a very bad reaction - i know what its like -not nice.
oh i believe you its coming from a tree why wouldn't someone be allergic to it - sorry your allergic to green stuff...

I think my next classical is going to be Indian Rosewood right now i have Brazilian Rosewood but i think EIR might be better. From past talkings to Robert Ruck and hearing stories from Fleta EIR is the easiest wood to manipulate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion