The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Default Does Eastman really sound better than Gibson?

First off, I apologize for the thread title. Just having fun with a recent thread. I love me a good J45 as much as the next guy, and it's certainly not my intention to compare Eastman with Gibson, or any other North American maker.

I did, however, take possession of an Eastman E10SS a few days ago. I'm a lefty, and I ordered it a year ago, and it had to be special ordered. It was a long wait, and I had a year to build up some pretty high expectations. Those expectations were exceeded. I cannot believe the tone coming out of this thing. It's airy, it's sweet, and it can bark and growl. The neck profile is perfect for me (I'm one of those odd ducks who prefer 1 and 11/16). As a bonus, it's drop-dead gorgeous. The burst is perfect, and the hog back has a lot of figuring. It almost looks 3D. I've never bonded so quickly to a guitar in my life, nor have I ever been that smitten with a new guitar (and I've had a few). I honestly don't know how they can sell these at that price point.

I realize that there's probably a halo effect going on to some extent, and I'll need to to re-evaluate once my giddiness wears off. But for now, based on this sample of 1 (actually 2, I own an Eastman mandolin), I'm ready to drink the Eastman kool-aid. I used to snicker reading some of the hyperbole in user reviews on these guitars, but now I get it. Eastman makes very nice guitars.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM

Not sure the reason for your subject line if as you say, you aren't trying to compare Gibson to Eastman.

Different guitars, different sounds. Each good in their own right but Apples and Oranges.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM

E10SS owner here...I love mine as well...great sounding guitar for not much money .
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I am a huge "Gibson guy". To be fair I really like some Martins and am also a fan of the new Taylor hogs.

I have had to stop myself from pulling the trigger in an E10SS or E15SS (LA Guitar Sales) on more than one occasion. I suspect they sound different than the typical J45 or SJ, but that they have their own sound that is sweet in a different way.

I am happy you love yours. It would ne nice to sit and play the guitars together... I bet they all sound great. I would like to hear firsthand how different they sound from Gibby J45s.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 01-30-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: To discourage the discussion getting sidetracked with alternative lifestyle overtones :)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

There was a thread on here yesterday saying something about "Does _____ really sound better than _____" so I believe it's just a bit of a joke. I actually did a double take when I read the title since I saw that thread yesterday. I was like, "Seriously???" Then I had a chuckle when I read it.

As for Eastman- I've owned the E10SS and a J-45. As you say, they're different but both great instruments. I sold the Eastman but not because it wasn't an awesome guitar- it was. I just only want to keep so many around. I'm also drinking the Eastman cool-aid, as it were. I currently have an AC422ce. I love it. I've also played a few jumbos, a few dreads, and an all-hog Grand Concert. They were all fantastic. Some people complain about fit and finish consistency problems- I'm not that picky. If it feels good and sounds good then I'm good to go. Eastman has never disappointed me there.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post
omg!!!!!!!

Mind out of gutter...
Old 01-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Not sure the reason for your subject line if as you say, you aren't trying to compare Gibson to Eastman.

Different guitars, different sounds. Each good in their own right but Apples and Oranges.
Paulzoom, the title is just a play on the recent "does blueridge really sound better than martin" thread, which got a lot of very opinionated responses. Just having a little fun here is all. Not to be taken seriously.

Last edited by slackjaw; 01-30-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:25 PM

So you ordered a custom Eastman with a 'burst, but you failed to provide pictures?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitco View Post
So you ordered a custom Eastman with a 'burst, but you failed to provide pictures?
I know......what a tease!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 PM

I own a 2006 Gibson J-50 and a 2013 Eastman E10-SS, as well as an Eastman ET5-SS. The Gibson is the guitar I play with my mates as I await the opening up of my E10-SS. The difference, so far, between a guitar with a sitka top versus one with adi is pretty dramatic. I like the way the J-50 cuts through the mix with the other guitars I regularly play around. And I love the neck and the playability. It does everything I had hoped having a Gibson slope shoulder dreadnaught would do. The Eastman is a much more modern sounding instrument. Very boutique sounding, very smooth and very powerful. If it opens up to the extent my ET5-SS did (over the course of an hour's playing one night at about the one year mark) I expect it to be a monster guitar. It is already stellar but so was the smaller Eastman before the transformation. The thing about the J-50 though is that it sounds way better to the listener's ear than the player's ear. I found this out this past summer when an old high school friend came for a couple of weeks and I let him play it. So I'm happy having both and I find that the differences are fun to play around with. I hope your lefty E10-SS only gets better for you too.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Default teaser!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Maybe in lala land
Old 01-30-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Paulzoom, the title is just a play on the recent "does blueridge really sound better than martin" thread, which got a lot of very opinionated responses. Just having a little fun here is all. Not to be taken seriously.
Sorry about that. I was little slow on the sarcasm today.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
It's also useless without "Pictures".
Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Yes, "YOU" should sell all you Gibsons and any other brand you own and buy Eastmans, you asked..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion