The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up Silvertone Acoustic

Anyone playing a Silvertone Acoustic Six String?

I have one from 1967 that belonged to my wife till I took it over and

learned on it.

I still play it but now I own an Epiphone 12 string as well as a Kala Baritone

Ukulele that I play as well.

Happy Strumming

Clyde Ortego
Old 07-08-2014, 10:48 AM

I've actually been really curious about these old Silvertone acoustic guitars after I read that Justin Vernon used one for almost the entire For Emma, Forever Ago album (not sure if anyone is into his music but you should check out the album, the guitar has such a unique, aged woody kind of tone to it). I think it was just an old beat-up archtop acoustic from a 1960ish Sears catalog that he got off ebay but it sounds really, really good. Anyone know anything about these guitars, what playing styles they're good for?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:28 AM

I have owned and still own a few Silvertones ranging from a late 1950s Kay-built "Master Size" to a late 1930s Harmony-built Supertone parlor (the Sears house brand before Silvertone). Even have an archtop in pieces sitting in the closet waiting to be put back together.

Silvertones were all over the place in sound ranging from the cheap tinny sounding all-birch Stellas up to the Silvertone-badged Kay jumbos and Harmony Sovereigns which were by and far the best Sears flat tops out there in the 1950s and 1960s.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM

My very first guitar (which I still have -- it hangs on the wall of my office) was a 1968 Silvertone western style model, OOO sized. I still play it a few times a year, most often grabbing it when I am working on a song because it is handy.

I have destroyed any "collector" value. Because Dad gave it to me all those years ago, I will never part with it. Over the years, I re-fretted it, added pearl dots, refinished the neck and peghead, dyed the fretboard black with stain, routed the bridge to add a compensated saddle, replaced the tuners with Gotoh's. It is far and away better than stock now. I believe that it even has a solid birch top, and the body really looks like mahogany. It has its own punchy voice, and my wife can always tell when I'm playing it, even from the other end of the house.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-v View Post
I've actually been really curious about these old Silvertone acoustic guitars after I read that Justin Vernon used one for almost the entire For Emma, Forever Ago album (not sure if anyone is into his music but you should check out the album, the guitar has such a unique, aged woody kind of tone to it). I think it was just an old beat-up archtop acoustic from a 1960ish Sears catalog that he got off ebay but it sounds really, really good. Anyone know anything about these guitars, what playing styles they're good for?
Hey Sam:

The Silvertone acoustic is good for any type of music, I personally use it for

old Elvis Presley Love songs and some gospel.

I have also seen on U tube people playing some blues songs on, you can play almost any type of music on them as long as they are in tune.

Happy Strumming

Clyde Ortego
Old 07-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Again, it will vary guitar by guitar. When it comes to Silvertone archtops, I will generally take a Kay built version over those made by Harmony which means sticking with guitars made before around 1962 - something like a Silvertone Crest.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM

I've owned this Silvertone Sovereign Jumbo 1220 since I was in high school. Got it new for Christmas in 1968. I recently had it completely refurbished including a neck re-set ... just for old times sake

It's still a good guitar ... especially now that the action is back down into normal range. Unfortunately, I feel that any example of this guitar still around today that has not had a neck re-set, will probably need one to be playable.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 PM

My Mom had an old Silvertone back in 1966 when I first got interested in Guitar. Learned my first few chords on it. It had the highest action I ever saw. Sure hurt my fingers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion