The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 AM

Played a few, I thought the Blueridge sounded better.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:35 AM

Default Furniture vs firewood

I have never played an Eastman but In the spirit of the thread I prefer Gibson

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 AM

With a wind chill of minus 10 and the roads solid ice, thank goodness for some humor and a 0-28VS that just keeps saying "play me, play me."
Old 03-02-2014, 08:21 AM

Yup. There is nothing more important then (preverbal) firewood during this never ending winter. Some of us may have to burn the furniture if it doesn't end.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Guest316

Default Does Eastman really sound better than Gibson?

Gibson makes guitars?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:31 AM

i think eastman's generally do sound better than gibsons.

just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Rich, I'm not sure whether you read post # 8.

I'm regretting the title of my OP -I thought it was a clever play on some other thread, where the OP made some assertions about blueridge vs martin. Frankly, I have very little interest in whether Eastman sounds better than Gibson. My OP was not about Gibson. I believe that guitars should be appraised on their own merit, and what subjective value they bring to the table, but not in relative comparison to other brands and certainly not because of the headstock. Virtually all brands bring their own subjective value, or they wouldn't be in business very long. I happened to purchase a guitar by a given company (eastman), and based on that guitar's merits, I perceive great value.

I have and have had guitars from a wide range of makers, and they all have some value to me. So I'll decline your advice, and keep all my guitars. I'm not stuck on just one brand.
i thought your thread title was funny and you immediately explained it in your op. sadly, people often don't seem to read past the title of a thread.

congrats on your new guitar.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Slight resurrection of this thread, just because I could. And just for fun.

IMHO ...

I've owned three Gibsons in my time, and tried to like them all. An early '70's Country-Western. An '84 Les Paul Standard. A '09 Southern-Jumbo. The first - a gift, the others bought sight-unseen, due to circumstances above and beyond.

I wish I still had them all ... but only to sell again, as the first two are worth considerably more at current prices.

All were a disappointment, especially the first, as it was my first Gibson, given to me by my family. No bashing meant, you understand, this is just the gist of it ... dogs, all of them. Especially considering the price.

The only Gibson I've ever played that I actually liked was a war-era all mahogany banner that looked as if it had been through a tornado. Or two.

More recently, I acquired an Eastman E20SS. I've owned some examples of imported guitars in the past, Alvarez, Washburn, Madeira, Epiphone, and Takamine come to mind. Reasonably decent guitars for the most part, but nothing worth keeping around. But none of these mentioned, including the Gibsons, could possibly keep up with the other USA-made guitars I've owned, or still own.

Until the Eastman, that is.

If I had personally encountered it in a music store, I doubt that I would have picked it up. I would have automatically dismissed it as a second rate instrument, suitable for beginners and journeyman players, and headed straight for the Martins, Collings, Santa Cruz guitars, etc. Experience tells, and if you know what you want in terms of tone, feel, and quality, there's no reason to mess around with lesser guitars, despite the pricing. Go for the good stuff, and keep your choices in perspective.

But since the Eastman was given to me, I had no choice but to evaluate it on my home turf. I hoped that I would find a way to like it, but I also knew that if I didn't care for my last Gibson slope, this guitar was probably going to be even more of a let-down, being that it was an import, and only resembled that J-45. And cost less than half of that same guitar. Less than half of what my 10 year old used Collings cost, as well. You get what you pay for, right?

Playing the Eastman was an educational experience. To say the least. It was definitely tight at first, being that it was so newly pristine. The action needed work, the relief adjusted, and the nut slots filed. An unaccustomed string spacing, and a narrower nut. Light PB strings that sounded all wrong, with weird harmonics and overtones.

Five weeks later, and I'm firmly convinced that I've got my hands on something special. I made the physical adjustments to the guitar, tamed the overtones with nickel strings, and become accustomed to the string spacing and nut width, helped along by what I can only describe as one of the better neck profiles I've had the chance to play.

The tone is pretty incredible. The bass is warm and round, but articulate. The mids are rich. The trebles are clear and fat. It strums wonderfully, and week by week, is becoming more and more responsive to a lighter touch, especially when fingerpicked. It has nice volume, but more than that ... the tone is just complex enough to be interesting and full, with nice sustain, but no messy harmonics, less like rosewood, and more like mahogany. A tad bass-heavy, but accompanied by some of the sweetest, cleanest trebles I've ever heard. Great articulation in the chords.

It doesn't sound like anything else I've ever played, but in this instance, that may be a good thing. The more I play it, the more I want to play it, if you catch my drift. Maybe I just got a good one, but to say that I'm impressed would be an understatement.

I highly suggest that if you want to try one out, that you contact Ted at LA Guitar Sales and have him pick one out for you. I am exceedingly grateful that he did so for me. Man alive, this is a really good guitar. And a whole lot more satisfying and fun to play than the Collings that I sold, and somehow never bonded with, regardless of the exquisite fit and finish. Call me astonished.

... JT
Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 PM

"but now I get it. Eastman makes very nice guitars"

Bingo!..........................................
Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 PM

I have an Eastman E80M, and it played like butter right off the wall. It has a very focused projection; you won't get an OM-28V growl out of it, but you WILL get laser-like projection and an extremely balance tone. It's funny; when friends first start playing it, they say stuff like, "Yeah, it's not bad,", or "yeah, it sounds pretty good." Twenty minutes later, they're still playing it.

Better than Gibsons? Some of them are; I've played some very sketchy Gibsons. The local GC has a True Vintage J-45 that will probably still be there a year from now---a very bad guitar, especially at that price. OTOH, I don't think that any Eastman can compete with a really good AJ.

Last edited by topographic; 07-07-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Photo inclusion
Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 PM

Default Does Eastman really sound better than Gibson?

Thanks a lot guys! Now you have me saving up for an Eastman. And I thought I was GAS-free. Curse you all!!!
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 PM

I've only played one Eastman, it was a flat top, BUT had a carved back on it, and I think that carved back really made it focussed and projected quite well….I wish I had bought that one……lol…..Can't remember the model number, but it was a trip!!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:07 AM

.......and longest post of the year goes to <drum roll>....JT!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
Slight resurrection of this thread, just because I could. And just for fun.

IMHO ...

I've owned three Gibsons in my time, and tried to like them all. An early '70's Country-Western. An '84 Les Paul Standard. A '09 Southern-Jumbo. The first - a gift, the others bought sight-unseen, due to circumstances above and beyond.

I wish I still had them all ... but only to sell again, as the first two are worth considerably more at current prices.

All were a disappointment, especially the first, as it was my first Gibson, given to me by my family. No bashing meant, you understand, this is just the gist of it ... dogs, all of them. Especially considering the price.

The only Gibson I've ever played that I actually liked was a war-era all mahogany banner that looked as if it had been through a tornado. Or two.

More recently, I acquired an Eastman E20SS. I've owned some examples of imported guitars in the past, Alvarez, Washburn, Madeira, Epiphone, and Takamine come to mind. Reasonably decent guitars for the most part, but nothing worth keeping around. But none of these mentioned, including the Gibsons, could possibly keep up with the other USA-made guitars I've owned, or still own.

Until the Eastman, that is.

If I had personally encountered it in a music store, I doubt that I would have picked it up. I would have automatically dismissed it as a second rate instrument, suitable for beginners and journeyman players, and headed straight for the Martins, Collings, Santa Cruz guitars, etc. Experience tells, and if you know what you want in terms of tone, feel, and quality, there's no reason to mess around with lesser guitars, despite the pricing. Go for the good stuff, and keep your choices in perspective.

But since the Eastman was given to me, I had no choice but to evaluate it on my home turf. I hoped that I would find a way to like it, but I also knew that if I didn't care for my last Gibson slope, this guitar was probably going to be even more of a let-down, being that it was an import, and only resembled that J-45. And cost less than half of that same guitar. Less than half of what my 10 year old used Collings cost, as well. You get what you pay for, right?

Playing the Eastman was an educational experience. To say the least. It was definitely tight at first, being that it was so newly pristine. The action needed work, the relief adjusted, and the nut slots filed. An unaccustomed string spacing, and a narrower nut. Light PB strings that sounded all wrong, with weird harmonics and overtones.

Five weeks later, and I'm firmly convinced that I've got my hands on something special. I made the physical adjustments to the guitar, tamed the overtones with nickel strings, and become accustomed to the string spacing and nut width, helped along by what I can only describe as one of the better neck profiles I've had the chance to play.

The tone is pretty incredible. The bass is warm and round, but articulate. The mids are rich. The trebles are clear and fat. It strums wonderfully, and week by week, is becoming more and more responsive to a lighter touch, especially when fingerpicked. It has nice volume, but more than that ... the tone is just complex enough to be interesting and full, with nice sustain, but no messy harmonics, less like rosewood, and more like mahogany. A tad bass-heavy, but accompanied by some of the sweetest, cleanest trebles I've ever heard. Great articulation in the chords.

It doesn't sound like anything else I've ever played, but in this instance, that may be a good thing. The more I play it, the more I want to play it, if you catch my drift. Maybe I just got a good one, but to say that I'm impressed would be an understatement.

I highly suggest that if you want to try one out, that you contact Ted at LA Guitar Sales and have him pick one out for you. I am exceedingly grateful that he did so for me. Man alive, this is a really good guitar. And a whole lot more satisfying and fun to play than the Collings that I sold, and somehow never bonded with, regardless of the exquisite fit and finish. Call me astonished.

... JT
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Nah, that was nothing. I like having conversations! I'm not the typical male; I don't talk in minimized sound bytes. And I write exactly the way I talk. No pretty lady has ever accused me of holding back.

I'm going to start writing a book this summer, maybe two at once ... an autobiography focusing on characters I've met over the years, and the second, a true-to-life ghost story.

I expect to have to throw out half of what goes on paper to tighten everything up, and keep from writing two hundred thousand word novels.

... JT
Old 07-08-2014, 05:20 PM

Everything sounds better than Gibson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion