The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Nees help on a parlor guitar please

really needing help on buying a parlor guitar i have found a a&l ami or a rk rp-06 or the dirty thirties o model in my price range and I have been all around trying to find one of these I can try out but no luck. will have to by online please any suggestions on which would be a good couch and travel guitar would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Mike
Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 AM

Default A&L Ami

I bought a 2002 A&L Ami just for travel purposes. It was pretty beat up, but spent $80.00 with a luthier and all is well. Exceptional sounding parlors for a great price used or new. Loud and project well.

Many here seem to like the GS Mini.
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 AM

I've played the Ami and the Dirty Thirty and prefer the Ami. I find them to be very different guitars, the Ami has 1.72" nut and to my ears has a brighter sound. The Dirty Thirty 0 has 1 11/16" nut, the one I played seemed a bit dull and dead sounding but a different set of strings might have helped. I haven't played the rp-06 (1 3/4" nut) although I have to say I prefer it visually. (I have two slot head Martins and also like the natural gloss finish.)

Honestly I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these guitars all will fit your couch and travel needs.

Last edited by jgmaute; 07-08-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks leaning toward the ami
Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM

The Seagull Entourage Rustic Grand and the Art & Lutherie AMI are basically the same guitar - the AMI is a 12-fretter, while the Seagull is a 14-fretter:

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/ami.htm
http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagul...tic_grand.html

I'd also look at a Walden T550 - http://www.waldenguitars.com/T550.html - I was considering a Seagull Entourage, an AMI, a Taylor GS Mini, or a Walden T550 for my daughter for her 15th birthday 2+ years ago - I chose the Walden...

Not really a parlor...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion