The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-21-2024, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Headphones fine for tracking, editing; need monitors for final mix

I've been tracking in our backyard studio this weekend. I brought everything out there except my monitors, so I've only been listening through headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for tracking and DT 990 Pro for mixing.

Later tomorrow I'll strike this set and listen in the monitors. I wonder what I'll notice differently. I'll also make a mixdown for the car. Barring some major revelation, I'm on the verge of giving it as is to the mastering engineer. They said they'd give me feedback if they noticed any needs for mixing adjustments. I think I've brought it just about as far as I know how to do with just headphones.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 04-25-2024 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I do the majority of my mixing using my Neumann monitors in my studio, but I also always check everything with a pair of Sennheiser Drop HD6xx (same as Sennheiser HD650). I think using both methods helps me check myself and I almost always make adjustments after a comparison of the two, which suggests my approach does seem to offer benefits.

- Glenn
Old 04-24-2024, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

It’s been a few days without a follow-up.

On monitors, all instruments are just as clear as they sounded on the headphones. I’d let most of the bass stay in (just a 20 Hz cut!), so there’s lots of strong but clear rumble under the guitars that was less physical but still detectable in the phones.

Still, in the monitors I was better able to hear some balance irregularities that I missed in the phones, which helped me smooth out the relative volumes.

If anything, this has shown me I can trust the headphones to tell me when I can close down the tracking — that’s helpful. But I won’t try to wrap up a mix with just headphones.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

I think we were waiting to hear YOUR answer, since thats the one that matters! I dont have the experience to reply, but am working on that….

On a related note, I understand the need for quality monitors, but Im surprised you dont also see a pair of cheap wal-mart car speakers next to the 5-figure Neumanns. Isnt the goal of much mixing/mastering to make a product that sounds good on a Macintosh system and in a Honda civic?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-25-2024, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
It’s been a few days without a follow-up.

On monitors, all instruments are just as clear as they sounded on the headphones. I’d let most of the bass stay in (just a 20 Hz cut!), so there’s lots of strong but clear rumble under the guitars that was less physical but still detectable in the phones.

Still, in the monitors I was better able to hear some balance irregularities that I missed in the phones, which helped me smooth out the relative volumes.

If anything, this has shown me I can trust the headphones to tell me when I can close down the tracking — that’s helpful. But I won’t try to wrap up a mix with just headphones.
Curious when you say let the bass stay in are you meaning an actual bass instrument or the general low end in the mix ?
And just so you know , often a "rumble" in a guitar recording while possibly perceived as a "great low end" can sometimes be introducing unnecessary and unwanted low frequency distortion or mud which while not perceived as distortion BUT can still rob presence from the overall multi instrument mix

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-25-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Curious when you say let the bass stay in are you meaning an actual bass instrument or the general low end in the mix ?
And just so you know , often a "rumble" in a guitar recording while possibly perceived as a "great low end" can sometimes be introducing unnecessary and unwanted low frequency distortion or mud which while not perceived as distortion BUT can still rob presence from the overall multi instrument mix
Right. I meant I didn’t filter out the low frequencies above 20 Hz. I was checking to hear if I got distortion or interference with the acoustic guitar parts, and I thought I’d tame it down in post. I was pleasantly surprised to hear none, while still enjoying a bold, clean basso voice in key moments in the piece where it earns its prominence.

Of course, I rolled off to about 300 Hz, if memory serves, at the top of the reverb bus. Without that cut, the robust low end does play havoc with the echo!
Old 04-25-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Of course, I rolled off to about 300 Hz, if memory serves, at the top of the reverb bus. Without that cut, the robust low end does play havoc with the echo!
300Hz is a bit high to high-pass for the main signal, although it's pretty common to do that kind of a high-pass (and maybe a low-pass as well) on the reverb only.

The low E on a guitar is about 82Hz, so I generally roll off the low end below that for guitar or guitar/vocal tracks. There's no really info there except room rumble that just muddies things up. If you have bass guitar (42Hz) or piano (lowest note 27Hz), adjust accordingly.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
300Hz is a bit high to high-pass for the main signal, although it's pretty common to do that kind of a high-pass (and maybe a low-pass as well) on the reverb only.

The low E on a guitar is about 82Hz, so I generally roll off the low end below that for guitar or guitar/vocal tracks. There's no really info there except room rumble that just muddies things up. If you have bass guitar (42Hz) or piano (lowest note 27Hz), adjust accordingly.
I knew I was leaving in an octave below the lowest bass note, but I wanted to experiment. I have to say like the result. It’s like there’s more there than the notes themselves. The reverb is unaffected, thank goodness
Old 04-26-2024, 05:24 AM

Let us hear a sample of your mix. Assuming your mixing acoustic guitar in there?

I use headphones and an Avantone mix cube for monitoring. I dont use studio monitors at all

The head phones are for initial EQ and getting the bass right

I find that the avantone playing in mono lets me sort my mids and low mids and get all the levels right.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound View Post
Let us hear a sample of your mix. Assuming your mixing acoustic guitar in there?

I use headphones and an Avantone mix cube for monitoring. I dont use studio monitors at all

The head phones are for initial EQ and getting the bass right

I find that the avantone playing in mono lets me sort my mids and low mids and get all the levels right.
Thanks for your interest. I’ve just sent my mix to a mastering engineer. When they’re done with it, I’ll put it over in Show and Tell.

Part of me wishes I had just kept mum about this until it was finished, but I was so fascinated with the process along the way that I couldn’t keep it in. Now it’s a bit overexposed before anyone hears it. Oh well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD