The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2024, 01:15 PM
Guitar Gourmet

It is called G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). Here is a cool quote from my website that might explain it:
“After a time, you may find that ‘having’ is not so pleasing a thing after all as ‘wanting.’ It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Mr. Spock, from Amok Time, Star Trek The Original Series
Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-06-2024, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
… Because competence on the guitar, once you have a reasonably good instrument, is mostly about putting in the time playing and practicing.
It took me two decades to come to that realization. That and the only way to stop chasing a dopamine response is to pause addictive behaviors, like shopping for and buying new guitars.

At this point, I often think about posting all three of my guitars in the classifieds and keeping whichever doesn’t sell. I’d be perfectly happy with just one.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
I have recently sold a few guitars , one of which I'd had for nigh on 40 years. But I have noticed that when I've bought a guitar, and I like it, it stays great for a couple of months, then ... I start to feel I need to get something else or that the guitar is lacking something.
That's how guitars are. At some point a person starts to think any guitar will do. They all lack something.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 05-07-2024, 08:52 AM

I think that I have done my part in supporting the economy…..now I need to stay off the forum and NEVER go into music stores.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It is called G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). Here is a cool quote from my website that might explain it:
“After a time, you may find that ‘having’ is not so pleasing a thing after all as ‘wanting.’ It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Mr. Spock, from Amok Time, Star Trek The Original Series
Bob
This, and also, shopping is easier than practicing.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
It took me two decades to come to that realization. That and the only way to stop chasing a dopamine response is to pause addictive behaviors, like shopping for and buying new guitars.

At this point, I often think about posting all three of my guitars in the classifieds and keeping whichever doesn’t sell. I’d be perfectly happy with just one.
That ain't such a bad idea at all.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I know for myself that there is a temptation to imagine that I can buy my way to competence. Of course, I know that is not true. So I resist, as much as possible, the urge to keep buying things while I continue to work on my abilities.

Because competence on the guitar, once you have a reasonably good instrument, is mostly about putting in the time playing and practicing.

- Glenn
Nailed it
Old 05-08-2024, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Do some basic research on dopamine to understand the need your brain has for a new rush. Once you get past the low dopamine levels, your brain will get things back in balance, you can proceed on an even keel.

Then you can experience the slow and steady pursuit of learning to play without the I need another guitar nonsense. It is much more rewarding and much more work.

I recently went back to an open mic I was two years absent from. People noticed the improvement. More rewarding than showing off the guitar I bought a year ago, although that was fun too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-08-2024, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I agree and these days a reasonable good instrument can be had for less that a grand. My problem is that I become attached to my possessions and have a hard time giving them up. It was heart breaking to say goodbye to a Chevy pickup that I bought new and drove for 24 years.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:35 PM

Every now and then, there's a grain of insight buried in this forum. The grains I found today are more an admission by the members and an insight for me. I have two guitars -- one electric and one acoustic. The insight there, for me, is that I have the guitars I need.

The collective admission is there's a lot more to be learned here about compulsive buying and selling than there is about learning how to play the guitar.

Me? I like to think my efforts are spent learning to play. It's why I spend money for regular lessons. Others seem to use the forum, and the guitars they own, as a.medium of exchange. To each his own, I suppose. But there's more music in playing than in selling. As I see it. YMMV.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:10 PM

Default a thought

Jack, I think that you've eloquently articulated the thoughts of many of us. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I understand why people want to buy and sell guitar related equipment and why they get so excited by it. I was never any kind of wheeler dealer, but I have enjoyed acquiring some very nice guitars. It's fun, it's like being a kid in a candy store.

Of course, at some point all that has to end. It can only start when people get a whole lot of the big-money expenses taken care of in life. And then it has to pretty much stop at retirement -- or maybe a little after retirement -- because most people don't have an endless supply of money.

I'm in the latter group, having retired in 2016, eight years ago. I suppose it's possible that I might buy another guitar yet in life, but I really doubt it. So once again, I am confronted with just working to become a better guitar player.

And in truth, I like that approach better. Every acquisition provides enjoyment but it also provides guilt for me, I'm not sure why. Probably my upbringing. But I don't feel any guilt working out a new song and seeing what I can do with it.

- Glenn
Old 05-14-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
....But I have noticed that when I've bought a watch, and I like it, it stays great for a couple of months, then ... I start to feel I need to get something else or that the watch is lacking something....
This is very easy to get into as a "watch collector."
Used to be that you got one watch, sometimes for a birthday or a graduation or some other milestone and you wore it every day until it died or some other milestone gift came a long many years later and then you wore that instead.
Now people get one for this outfit, one for that outfit, one for this occasion, one for that occasion.
And before you know it you end up with drawers full of watches that you hardly ever wear. And you keep just because you think you should. Or flip in the never ending quest for the next blingy thingy and the brief dopamine rush from getting something new.
Ask me how I know. Or don't we all know how it goes ....
Old 05-14-2024, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I'll add that for me, I learned there were many, maybe too many guitars that were very good, and very few, too few, that seriously rocked my world. That was a very freeing feeling, putting a guitar down that was nice but not it. You can't get that special feeling while pursuing the dopamine rush. You get it while you are buying strings, waiting for a repair, or killing time before an appointment. When you buy something special three or five years past buying your last guitar, it becomes a dopamine free experience.

If you crave dopamine rush and have the funds, go for it. You could have more destructive habits. The guitar industry needs you.

A friend admitted that he came to the realization he bought and sold guitars instead of working at playing better. He is extremely aware about his motivations. Buys a guitar every three weeks and an amp about once a month. Every time it's the most wonderful gear buy ever. He's having fun, and he has the money.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-14-2024, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Not to worry. You're OK. It's partly the result of our evolutionary history as hunter/gatherers. The drive to hunt, the successful culmination of the drive, and then repeat. Throw in our capacity for abstract thought, and you have the problem of reality never quite matching the ideal. Shopping for the ideal guitar is just another manifestation of this evolutionary baggage. Plus it's fun and easy. So what if it's like storing nuts for the winter.

At least that's my story whenever GAS starts nibbling at my brain.
..... snip ......

I share this theory. I believe that we are still hunter gatherers, a few thousadnd years ago the focus might have been to find a better stick as a spear or club, and then to collect vital tools.

I wonder whether this is why some people call their guitars .... axes .... or their motorbikes ..... choppers?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion