The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 07:59 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Default Talk me out of it?

So...

I went to my local GC yesterday hoping to find a Yamaha FG9 to sample, but not only did they not have one, they looked it up there are only 2 in the entire GC distribution center network. Looks like I won't be sampling that one anytime soon...

But, while I was there I just hung out trying various guitars (which is what I do when I go to GC). What did I run into, hanging there on the middle row just above a Taylor 214ce? I found a Martin 0012-28 Modern Deluxe.

O M G.

It is, to me, just about the perfect combination of size, tone, playability, aesthetics, and overall total tactile response. It's just beautiful. It's beautiful presentation. Beautiful sound. Beautiful to play.

It's also got a big price tag... and I don't need it. I have guitars. I have more than I need. I don't need any more. My guitar cupboard is full!

But this is like the one ring to rule them all! So here I sit, contemplating... GC opens at 11am (CT) and I'm trying to decide if I really, really want it. It's priced at $4500. I can probably work some magic and get it down to $4000. There is also a current GC promotion that could get me 10% in store credit, so another $400+ that I could use for other stuff. Not that I need $400 in store credit, but that's a lot of guitar strings and such...

What would you do? Would you wait until the GAS passes, or pull the trigger and get the guitar that would immediately become your #1?
Old 04-28-2024, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Got food, housing, and other responsibilities covered? Then get it.

Get rid of the ones it replaces if you need to reduce clutter. They will be worth less than you'd like right now, but that's life. Speaking of which, it's not unlimited - so if you've found the one, go get it.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Are you comfortable with the money element? If so go get it, and move one or two on if you are overly guitared at present.

If the cash is disposable dont let a guitar like that swim by you, say I.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:11 AM

This is probably the wrong forum to have guys talk you out of buying a guitar, just saying! I say--go for it. You're going to be dead a long time. Enjoy your days while your can. I'm facing a critical health emergency, which has really helped to put life in perspective, so believe me when I say that life is fleeting. Guitars are some of the best things in life, that bring constant pleasure and joy and serenity. How many "things" in this world can you say that about?
Old 04-28-2024, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
…It is, to me, just about the perfect combination of size, tone, playability, aesthetics, and overall total tactile response. It's just beautiful. It's beautiful presentation. Beautiful sound. Beautiful to play.
Hi GITM

Not going to try to talk you out of it. How could we???

You're at least infatuated if not 'smitten'…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-28-2024, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Talk you out of it? No. Life is too short.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-28-2024, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

GC has a great return policy. If it were me, I would order one of their FG9's and try that. You can always return it. They are always in very short supply and for good reason. The Martin is probably readily available.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:28 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I guess the money thing is the obvious question. Yeah, I can do it, but anytime I'm looking at something in the thousands I immediately think about how that money can make me money

Quick math on $1000: in 5 years at 8% return, that $1000 is now just under $1500.

So it's not just spending $4000, it's losing almost $2000 in potential return on investment over just the next 5 years. Even more if I extend it out to 10+ years.

Ah, the beauty of compound interest when it works in our favor...

I also have 2 kids in college and I am working on getting them through with no debt. So far, so good. Daughter will be starting her senior year in the fall. Son is actually changing degree pursuits so he's still got a few years ahead...

It really does always come back to the money. Yeah, I can afford it, with the understanding that it's money that will no longer be working for me... but it's also not money that's 'thrown away' as the guitar will retain some value. Not sure where it will be in value when I'm gone, but it will be worth something.

So, yeah... the fiscally smart thing is to pass on it. It will not generate any income for me, and I have some great guitars already. But the other side says get this guitar, pair it with the other top 2 or 3 I currently own, and offload the rest. I can also downsize my watch collection to offset the expense...

This is how my mind works on stuff like this... at minimum I'd like to get to net $0 impact by 'paying for it' by selling elsewhere... the struggle... is real.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

I looked the guitar up on Sweetwater. It's a really nice 00, 12-fret design, spruce over EIR guitar with herringbone trim and maple binding. It's a pretty guitar.

I don't know how you feel about the 1 13/16" nut width. Some people love it, some don't.

I can see why it's expensive, a beautiful guitar. I can also see why you are tempted. I have a 2006 Martin 000-28VS similar to this but a little larger, a lovely guitar. My 000-28VS also has a 1 13/16" nut width. That wide nut width is not my favorite but I deal with it.

Sometimes you have to go with your gut feelings. Or not...

- Glenn
Old 04-28-2024, 08:35 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
GC has a great return policy. If it were me, I would order one of their FG9's and try that. You can always return it. They are always in very short supply and for good reason. The Martin is probably readily available.
Good thought, but these are very different animals. Can't really compare the FG9 to the 0012-28. And the 0012-28 is actually not readily available. It is very limited, as well.

So that is another angle... would I prefer to have a top-line Yamaha dreadnaught, or a top-line Martin 00-28 12 fret? As I am predominantly a finger-style player, the 00-28 would almost certainly be more responsive to my style of playing. I'm not so much a bluegrass picker...
Old 04-28-2024, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Good thought, but these are very different animals. Can't really compare the FG9 to the 0012-28. And the 0012-28 is actually not readily available. It is very limited, as well.

So that is another angle... would I prefer to have a top-line Yamaha dreadnaught, or a top-line Martin 00-28 12 fret? As I am predominantly a finger-style player, the 00-28 would almost certainly be more responsive to my style of playing. I'm not so much a bluegrass picker...
Then get the 0012-28. If that suits your playing better, get that one.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-28-2024, 08:45 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I looked the guitar up on Sweetwater. It's a really nice 00, 12-fret design, spruce over EIR guitar with herringbone trim and maple binding. It's a pretty guitar.

I don't know how you feel about the 1 13/16" nut width. Some people love it, some don't.

I can see why it's expensive, a beautiful guitar. I can also see why you are tempted. I have a 2006 Martin 000-28VS similar to this but a little larger, a lovely guitar. My 000-28VS also has a 1 13/16" nut width. That wide nut width is not my favorite but I deal with it.

Sometimes you have to go with your gut feelings. Or not...

- Glenn
Talk about staying in the middle of the road! Thanks, Glenn!

The neck plays beautifully and the string spacing is fine. I've never really cared about the actual specs on a guitar so much as just how it feels when I play... and this one feels very comfortable. Having the smaller body makes it easier to navigate around the fretboard, and having the bridge more centered on the soundboard (farther from the sound hole) it adds a lot more responsiveness. It's louder than I would expect just based on the body size, but the VTS treatment and the dynamics of the bridge location (and the liquid metal end pins and carbon fiber plate) give it a lot of punchiness.

Sigh. Obviously I'm leaning toward buying it. I just feel like I have to do every possible bit of due diligence first...
Old 04-28-2024, 08:47 AM

As a fan of larger guitars, I say get it. IMO, smaller guitars are harder to get "right" in the build process, especially for factories. Occasionally I come across ones that sound way bigger and better than they should given their size. If that guitar has spoken to you, and it seems it has, then I think you'd be crazy not to get it!

And has been mentioned, you have 45 days to decide if it's a lifetime keeper. Perhaps this is the biggest perk of buying from GC
Old 04-28-2024, 08:49 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
This is probably the wrong forum to have guys talk you out of buying a guitar, just saying! I say--go for it. You're going to be dead a long time. Enjoy your days while your can. I'm facing a critical health emergency, which has really helped to put life in perspective, so believe me when I say that life is fleeting. Guitars are some of the best things in life, that bring constant pleasure and joy and serenity. How many "things" in this world can you say that about?
I hope you are okay! All the best, man. And you are 100% correct.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:49 AM

So, yeah... the fiscally smart thing is to pass on it. It will not generate any income for me, and I have some great guitars already. But the other side says get this guitar, pair it with the other top 2 or 3 I currently own, and offload the rest. I can also downsize my watch collection to offset the expense...

This is what I'd do......but, identify and seriously tag the one (s) that will go now. Put them away and consider them gone....until that sale takes place. If you have trouble identifying one or two, have doubts or indecision, maybe this Martin is not the best decision, right now.

Good luck with this!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion