The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2003, 01:53 PM

Default counter resonance 814ce

has anyone else found this.i purchased my 814ce brand new about six months ago and have played it a great deal since then but i have noticed when playing finger style(not finger picks) i notice a very pronounced counter resonance when striking the fifth string on f# ,with my thumb(not thumbnail).i can feel this resonance physically and it has the effect of dampening the note considerably.it is on all f# positions but most noticable on first f# fifth string.not so noticable using a pick or through electronics just accoustic.i have tried several string types and gauges and had it professionaly set up but my luthier says he cannot improve it. any comments? a long thread i know but it bugs me. lee
Old 07-02-2003, 03:55 AM

I just checked mine for the same problem. Nope. It must be really pronounced for it to bother you. There's always some counter resonance, but I have the same ammount on that note as the ones before and after it on my B stirng. Can you hear it as well as feel it?
Old 07-02-2003, 05:52 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)
Default my 814CES

my 814ces does something similar, but on a different note. It's most pronounced when I strike the flagilet tone hard on the sixth E-string at the 12th fret. I went back with it and they heard it too! They said it is caused by the wires of the ES that run along the bottom of the sound board. (ít's inaudible when I play normally)
They were great about it though: my new 814 has been ordered and comes in next week, so I'll check if it has the same thing.
A plus: my new 814 will have the NEW expression system (which has several upgrades over the old one!) Yay!
I hope it has the new tuners as well

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 07-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I haven't experienced the counter resonance, but the F# dampening is a fairly well known phenomenon in the x14 series among those who own them. One change to D/F#, played with the thumb on the low E string, will make you aware of it. One nice fact is that it can often be moderated by the opening-up process.

All solid-wood guitars have their wolf tones and dead tones. You've found the dead tone on your x14. Now, for fun, starting looking for the wolf tones. These things can bug you, but try to understand that it is normal for a high-quality, solid-wood guitar to have quirks. It's a little like performance cars. They all have their quirks. If you understand the quirks and flow with them (in a funny, zen-like way), you'll understand and play your guitar better.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-02-2003, 06:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hey, Torquay! Didn't Martin Turner live there? I read the first line in your location and Wishbone Ash popped into my mind. The second line confirmed it. I've been listening to them since 1973 ("Live Dates") and they were an extremely strong influence on my electric playing. While on a bus tour of the UK in 1996, I followed them around the UK but wasn't able to catch a show. I also just missed their stint in London during my week there. I finally saw them for the first time in 1997 in Springfield, VA, near Washington, DC. They are coming to my home town in September. I'll be there.

Bob

Old 07-02-2003, 12:35 PM

Default 814ce counter resonance

hi,thanks to all for your comments,i don't feel quite so concerned as i did,i will give it more time to open up. i really love it to bits. bob ,yes both martin and his brother glen are good friends although i have'nt seen martin for awhile.a sad note though their youger brother kim(stings manager)died recently.i have'nt seen steve upton (drummer ) since 1972 .we all learned our trade together as teenagers.thanks again for your help. lee
Old 07-03-2003, 01:16 PM

I had this problem on two areas of the neck. On the "D' string 3rd through fifth frets and the "A" string 9th and 10th fret. . The guitar is now two years old. One area is completely gone. Only the "A" string frets still do it. I think as it opens up these quirks tend to dissappear.
2018 Peerless Cremona 16
2019 Schecter J4 bass
Old 07-03-2003, 01:48 PM

I don't know what's worse. I have a howling low A note, noticeably louder than any other note/string. Really shows up when plugged-in.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Re: 814ce counter resonance

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
i have'nt seen steve upton (drummer ) since 1972 .we all learned our trade together as teenagers.thanks again for your help. lee
Hi, Lee. I understand that Steve Upton (one of the most solid drummers of that period, in my opinion) is living in France, managing a luxury vacation Chateau somewhere in Wine Country.

Martin has opened a studio and is a recording engineer/producer working with current acts. He also had an album of his own a while back, I think named "Walking the Reeperbahn". One of his recent jobs was remixing and supervising the remastering of several of Wishbone Ash's records and a boxed set.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion