The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2016, 03:33 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatx77 View Post
You write "I just got it out of the box and while I know the strings are old (it's brand new, but has been in the shop a while), man, it sounds so thin to me. I don't want to change the strings yet (they are definitely original and the shop has had this for 10-months or so)"

I would hold off on any decision to return the guitar until I put a new set of strings on. At one time or another the OM2H must have spoken to you. Restring it and you may hear what you heard the first time you played one.
+1. Just try different new sets of strings to make your decision.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

I have five Collings guitars. None have disappointed.

However, I think you are demanding instant gratification from a guitar that hasn't had an opportunity to open up yet.

You say that the guitar has been in store for about a year ? Who would use a guitar with year old strings ?

Put a new set of EJ16s on it and play and play and play !

It will not sound like an M36. It will sound like a perfectly balanced OM.

Even perfect Collings guitars - need time to open up ...and it deserves a good set of strings.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

I am of the mind set of if you do not connect with the guitar right away then send it back. But as others have mentioned, you do need to spend the day with new strings (or multiple string changes) before you make up your mind. And I never heard of (properly) changing strings voiding a warranty.

Let us know how new strings sound and if that changes your mind
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-04-2016, 04:55 AM

Default It is not a dread

I am in a similar situation, however I have had my OM2H for about 6 months. It is really a stellar sounding and playing instrument, but it doesn't do everything. The clarity is second to none. The tone is second to none. It is in my opinion the perfect OM. However, if you are after that dread tone, then it won't provide it.

I am thinking of trading mine for a D28 Authentic '41, but playing my Collings OM last night, I am really thinking twice - it would make a perfect second guitar to the D28. I really want to keep it and just save for longer until I have enough to get the Authentic.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:52 AM

I'm a big fan of Collings guitars, but they don't sound like Martins and not everyone is enamored of their tone. You mention your predilection for the Martin sound so why not return the Collings and go for an OM or 000 Martin? I don't generally like smaller guitars but I once played a Martin 000-GE that was good enough to win over a dread lover like myself. I've never played a Martin OM Authentic but I'll wager that model's likely got everything you're looking for and more.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-04-2016, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I owned a OM2H for a couple years, just recently sold it. I didn't find it to be a good strumming guitar. They are not balanced in my book by any means, strong clear midrange with less bass. Thus the "brightness" that some don't like. If you favor the Martin tone....let the Collings go. I would hate to know how much I spent on strings for that guitar. You may want to check out some SCGC offerings.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:16 AM

I would certainly try new stings before you decide.........

I live in Texas too, and bought a Collings OM a while back based on reputation and the Texas connection. To me it was "bright and tight", superb workmanship, very balanced but no growl compared to my Martin OM/000s, and I moved it.

Two things, a guitar opening up is basically more of the same, not a drastic change into a different voice, if a guitar disappoints up front it isn't going to wow you in five years, at least that has never happened for me.

Second, if you love Martin voicing the best place to get it is a Martin. Bourgeois/Collings/H&D/Santa Cruz all make superb instruments but they are different from each other, each with it's builders take on voicing/nuances.

If a string change doesn't help, it may, return it and start auditioning. I will say, and I was originally a dread player, Martin has a LOT of great OM/000s that do have atty-tude from standards to Authentics', my OM-18A is a monster.

Best of luck.......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-04-2016, 06:23 AM

Put new strings on it and give it a try. BUT don't think that time and "opening up" will make such a drastic difference that it'll change a guitar that you don't care for into a keeper - like changing a frog into a Prince. Well made guitars do indeed get better with time, but their voice remains essentially the same.

I myself never connected with the straight up Collings OM2H - but when I tried one with a German top I was totally won over and own a OM2HG-SS today (and love it). It sounded great new and now that it's breaking in, it's sounding even better. BUT it's still essentially the same tone - only a tad smoother and warmer.

I'd recommend putting on a set of John Pearse PB lights. In my experience they require the least amount of time to settle into their true tone. Then make your appraisal from that. If it's still not convincing you - send it back and get a Martin OM Authentic.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:29 AM

Take it back. Yeah, the strings may be dead but if doesn't float your boat now it probably never will.

That said, I don't know why changing strings would void a warranty?

I totally agree w/Rich - "if a guitar disappoints up front it isn't going to wow you in five years"

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-04-2016, 07:00 AM

Default Thanks!

I appreciate all the input, especially from current and former OM2H players. I should have stated I wasn't sure if changing the strings would void the return policy, not warranty, but even then, I doubt it will. Once that shop opens today (west coast) I'll call them to make sure. Likely change the strings and play it a while, but for now I think I may just return it. I'll post an update once I get all of that done today. Thank you again for the input!

2013 Martin M-36
1974 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson Custom Shop Montana J-35
2006 Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition '52 Telecaster
2015 Danocaster single-cut Mongrel
2014 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Many good deals at Gear Page under same name. 100% positive feedback on Reverb, TGP, and eBay (texrun29).
Old 06-04-2016, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

If you just received the guitar, you'll need to do a proper set up, especially if its been sitting for a year..... once all is properly set up, give it 2 days to open and if it doesn't speak to you, back it goes... You cant believe the difference a good set up and new strings make...but as my fellow forumites have echoed, it will not sound like a Martin...
Old 06-04-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrun38 View Post
I appreciate all the input, especially from current and former OM2H players. I should have stated I wasn't sure if changing the strings would void the return policy, not warranty, but even then, I doubt it will. Once that shop opens today (west coast) I'll call them to make sure. Likely change the strings and play it a while, but for now I think I may just return it. I'll post an update once I get all of that done today. Thank you again for the input!
Best of luck with your decision, which now is informed by some really thoughtful opinions. AGF is a great place!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schau_ins_Regal View Post
+1. Just try different new sets of strings to make your decision.
This.

Collings builds excellent guitars but that doesn't mean that one has your name on it. It really might not be the guitar you are looking for. The guitar that sounds most like a Martin M-36 is probably another M-36. Even a Martin OM-28 might be more to your liking (or an SCGC OM). But you bought the guitar and took it home and you should at least try it with good strings to see what you think of it. Call the shop, double-check that it's ok (hard to imagine that they'd object), and invest 5 or 6 or 8 dollars in giving the guitar a chance. Maybe fresh strings will make all the difference.

If not, return it. Plenty of good guitars around, and you'll find one that suits you better.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Collings makes wonderful guitars and lots of them so it's not like there aren't any other OM2H's out there to try. New strings will probably help the tone and make it sing like an angel, BUT you initial impression will always be stuck in your brain. I'd return it and keep searching for the one that grabs you by the throat the first time you strum a chord or pick a song on it. YMMV
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrun38 View Post
I've wanted a Collings for a long time. I finally took delivery today of a brand new OM2H that I have a 48-hr trial period with. Fit, finish, wood, materials...gorgeous and as "perfect" as any ogranic material like wood can be. Just outstanding.

My issue is the tone. Some background, I've always loved the Martin tone (grew up listening to dad play a D-35). Sometime in college I really got the bug for the balanced, clear tones Taylor had going on. I went through a 614ce and an 816ce cocobolo that were both fantastic, but I always played with a guy that used an HD-28 and felt I got drowned out. That said, I still didn't/don't want a dreadnaught as the size is large and I'm just more comfortable playing the smaller body/narrower guitars (that and I can get access to my dad's D-35 any time I want as he really doesn't play anymore). I sold the Taylors and bought a Martin M-36. Hadn't ever heard of it but I played it and it was "wow". The Martin tone with a guitar super comfy to play. But being a Texan and seeing lots of my favorites constantly playing Collings, I still had the bug.

I researched, read, watched a hundred YouTube videos (those at least recorded well) and zeroed in on OM1 and OM2H due to size and really awesome sounding stuff I heard. I think "the OM2H while not super different, is a little smaller than the M-36 and might be great to travel with". It's about an inch smaller lower bout and about an inch smaller in length. Same scale, same nut width, same woods.

I just got it out of the box and while I know the strings are old (it's brand new, but has been in the shop a while), man, it sounds so thin to me. I don't want to change the strings yet (they are definitely original and the shop has had this for 10-months or so) as I haven't asked the dealer given the hour of the day and don't want to do anything to void the return policy. It also feels really, really stiff where my M-36 (only a year old) seems to resonate just fine.

I super screwed up and a/b'd it against the M-36 and I know it's not going to be anywhere near as loud or have as much bass. I mainly strum/flat-pick and don't play fingerstyle, but I've seen so many playing Collings OMs this way that sound great. I don't need it sound like a dread, but it seems as though almost all of the bass and even some mids are either gone or if I do anything other than a very light strum (open chords) I reach the headroom limit fast.

I know these things open up over time, but those of you who have an OM2H, and more importantly, have had one for a while and who do some strumming on it, have you sensed that it truly did develop more mids? I know environmentals aren't an issue as my RH in my home office is 48% right now and it came to me from the exact same climate I'm in.

This is just a lot of money sunk into a guitar that I love everything about, except the sound. If I believe the sound will round out, no problem, but that's quite a gamble. Any input is appreciated.
I have an OM2 HG, the unique sound was the 1st thing I liked. Send yours back so someone can appreciate it, but 1st try some new strings. That can make a big difference. Good luck!

Last edited by aknow; 06-04-2016 at 08:33 AM. Reason: ok

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion