The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 PM

Default If you could do it all over

Which acoustic guitar would you tell your younger self to buy if you could start over?

For me...Martin D-42
2014 Gibson J-35 Collector's Edition #1

Sold
2014 Taylor 816ce First Edition
2014 Gibson J-35
2014 Martin D-15m
2014 Taylor 320
2014 Martin HD-28V
2014 Martin D-17M
2008 Martin Custom D
2003 Taylor 410ce
Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 PM

There's a very similar thread to this:
Your main gigging guitar is stolen...do you buy the same one again?

But knowing what I know now:
- I'd buy the same exact Taylor series/configuration of the 700 cedar over EIR, GA shape. My Taylor GA7e is discontinued, so I'd go with the 714, but this time without the electronics and still no cutaway
- Now if I had to replace my custom tenor uke (which is sitka over claro walnut), I'd have it made completely with figured mahogany, all around!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 PM

I bought 4 different 12-string acoustic guitars before I bought a Guild F-412 and then a Martin Grand J12-40E Special. I`d tell my younger self to just buy a Guild F-512 right from the start.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-30-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysolEverywhere View Post
Which acoustic guitar would you tell your younger self to buy if you could start over?

For me...Martin D-42
I wouldn't interfere. Would have done things the same way... I had to learn what I didn't like to fully appreciate what I do now.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-31-2014, 01:52 AM

I don't think either of the luthiers who built my guitars were born when I started playing. I would love to have had a guitar of similar quality then.
MJRB
Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
I wouldn't interfere. Would have done things the same way... I had to learn what I didn't like to fully appreciate what I do now.
I agree with this. I've always been a Taylor guy and they're the guitars I loved playing the most in stores. My dad encouraged me to buy a Martin since they're his favorite brand, and while I enjoy my MMV, it's not quite as good a fit for me as the is for my dad. I suspect he not so secretly wanted me to get it so he could play it

Anyway, entertaining the question, I'd go back in time and just tell myself to get a Taylor 614ce to use for everything and stick with it. I've owned a Taylor 110 and sold it to eventually get a guild, a martin, and a takamine. I'd trade them all away to get just the right Taylor. I wouldn't have known how right Taylors are for me without having gotten to know the other brands.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 AM

I started when I was 8, my parents bought me a 3/4 size Yamaha all laminate nylon string. What would I tell them to buy now? Dunno, probably a 3/4 size Yamaha laminate considering they would not know if I progressed or not. If I could choose a guitar for back then maybe a Taylor mini? But they did not exist back then so probably not. Right now my Eastman E10OM is pretty hot, and if I could have had a guitar of this calibre 20 years ago I would be very happy (though I am now much older than 28).
Old 03-31-2014, 05:15 AM

Since Gibson didn't make the Hummingbird True Vintage when I started playing , I would buy an original early 60's Gibson Hummingbird .

I could have bought one for cheap back when I started playing. No one was hardly playing acoustics in the 80's.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:00 AM

I wouldn't change a thing. Loved my guitar journey and I'm right where I'm supposed to be!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 AM

When I first started, Pre-War Martins were referred to as Used Martins and could be had for far less than the cost of a new one. So, I guess I'd have a store room full of those.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 AM

My first guitar was a Silvertone Sovereign 1220 (Harmony) and it sounded great. I still have it.

The only thing I'd change would be to get it set up properly by a professional, because it had terribly high action that hurt my fingers and stunted my musical growth.

There is no way that I could have ever gotten a Martin or a Gibson in 1968 just because of the price.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 AM

Cool If I could do it all over again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
I wouldn't change a thing. Loved my guitar journey and I'm right where I'm supposed to be!
I agree, and feel the same way. I have learned something new with each guitar I have owned, but mostly how to make repairs or adjustments to give each of my guitars their best possible voice. No regrets over "shouda, wouda, couda" here, as I have thoroughly enjoyed my journey, so far. And, I'm looking forward to the next leg of my journey.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 03-31-2014, 06:29 AM

As mentioned earlier pre-wars were just used guitars 50 years ago when I started playing, but I also didn't have any money back then either !~!

My journey has been wonderful, have a fantastic stable, I am content and grateful.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 AM

My first guitar was an old Bentley dreadnought. It was horrible and unplayable. That guitar convinced me I could never learn.

Years later when I finally decided to take the plunge I bought a Seagull to start. No regrets on that one or any of the subsequent choices.

One regret. An elderly neighbor was cleaning out her house to move to a nursing home. She was a dear friend and we had looked out for her for many years. One of her sons had been a fighter pilot in WWII and was lost in the Pacific. She calls me over one day and asks me if I want his old guitar. He bought it a couple of years before joining the Navy. A Martin D28 that had been sitting in it's case since 1941. I took it out and looked it over. It was like a new one. I didn't take it.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

At 34, I am happy. May add as funds become available. The one thing I would change is that I would have started playing at a younger age.

2013 Rockbridge slope

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion