The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 AM

Default How to tune a 12-string

Just got a used Fender 12-string off of Craigs list. Saved about half the price and my local luthier says it's in mint condition.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the tuning. I know that the bottom two pair need to be tuned the same but the top four pair needs the top string from each pair an octave higher.

That's where I get lost. Is there a way to visualize on my tuner (I have an onboard tuner and also a Snark) what an octave higher is or is that something you can only do by ear? Someone told me to just tune them the same and that the string thickness difference will take care of the Octave higher aspect but that doesn't sound right to me.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Just got a used Fender 12-string off of Craigs list. Saved about half the price and my local luthier says it's in mint condition.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the tuning. I know that the bottom two pair need to be tuned the same but the top four pair needs the top string from each pair an octave higher.

That's where I get lost. Is there a way to visualize on my tuner (I have an onboard tuner and also a Snark) what an octave higher is or is that something you can only do by ear? Someone told me to just tune them the same and that the string thickness difference will take care of the Octave higher aspect but that doesn't sound right to me.
An E is still an E no matter what octave it's in. If you just tune the octave strings to E, A, D, and G, it should be fine.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Paul, if for whatever reason you're having trouble hearing those octave notes, all you have to do to find them is fret each of the wound strings at the 12th fret. The pitches you get doing that will be where you need to tune the octave string in each course.

If it's easier for you, you can string the guitar as a six string first. Then add the additional unison strings on the B and high E courses. Then fret the G string at the 12th fret, and put the G octave string on and tune it to that octave G you've produced by fretting the wound G string at the 12th fret.

And so forth, for all of the rest of the strings.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Google.. how to tune a 12 string guitar.. you will find some sort of tutorial.
Composit Acoustics Vintage Performer
2017 Emerald X20 Opus
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Paul, if for whatever reason you're having trouble hearing those octave notes, all you have to do to find them is fret each of the wound strings at the 12th fret. The pitches you get doing that will be where you need to tune the octave string in each course.

If it's easier for you, you can string the guitar as a six string first. Then add the additional unison strings on the B and high E courses. Then fret the G string at the 12th fret, and put the G octave string on and tune it to that octave G you've produced by fretting the wound G string at the 12th fret.

And so forth, for all of the rest of the strings.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
I've read a lot of tutorials form Google but all they said was to put in an octave higher, not how you determine it. This is the best explanation so far. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 AM

I could be wrong here, but isn't the string gauge going to determine the octave? if you just clip on your tuner and tune the first course (low e and not as low e) to an e they should be an octave apart.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikeflynn View Post
I could be wrong here, but isn't the string gauge going to determine the octave? if you just clip on your tuner and tune the first course (low e and not as low e) to an e they should be an octave apart.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Someone told me to just tune them the same and that the string thickness difference will take care of the Octave higher aspect but that doesn't sound right to me.

That kind of sounds what this person had told me.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Correct me if i'm wrong.

You are wrong. They will be 2 octaves apart.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz1 View Post
You are wrong. They will be 2 octaves apart.
Ok 2 octaves apart. but you still just tune it to an e and let the string thickness take care of the rest right?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM

My experience is that most 12-string players spend about half of their time tuning . . . and the other half playing out of tune. Enjoy!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Ok 2 octaves apart. but you still just tune it to an e and let the string thickness take care of the rest right?
This is what is causing the confusion for me. There seems to be no agreement on how best to achieve the +1 octave.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 PM

You can't just tune both to the same pitch and let the difference in gauge take care of the +1 octave because tuners aren't that smart. What if the octave string is sharp and the person tuning it doesn't realize it? They might try to bring it further sharp instead of slacking the string, which will result in a broken string.

When you've been playing a 12-string for a while, this will become a non-issue. However, until you reach that point, Wade had the best way: Tune the main strings like you would a 6-string, then fret the main strings at the 12th fret to tune the octave strings (or at least get them close). Once the octave strings are close, you can use the tuner to dial in the exact pitch.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousti999 View Post
An E is still an E no matter what octave it's in. If you just tune the octave strings to E, A, D, and G, it should be fine.

Oh dear......

listen to Wade man!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Everyone who owns a 12-string knows that you can't tune a 12-string.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM

I don't understand your dilemma. When you tune a low E and a high E on a six string, I am sure you do not over think it and you just look at the tuner to tell you if you hit the note. Why would it be any different on the low course of strings on a twelve?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion