The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I understand completely how you feel about the Stanford guy.

There was *one* guy who returned his Silver Creek something like 5 times and then posted a thread about how happy he finally was. He later admitted that he was trying to get a "perfect" one and the others had unspecified cosmetic flaws that he didn't like.

You're not the first person to take that hear-say as evidence of QC problems, but this is how unjustified bad reps get perpetuated.

The threads I was referring to took place before you were a member here. I tried to find them and can't because they are well over a year old now.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 PM

I've had a Rogue cheapy for about a year now. Paid $59 for it. Forget what the model is, but it's auditorium size, real tacky orange sunburst, but it sounds great, real good set-up, no string buzz, and the fishman pickup works fine. It's not my J150 or my HD28, but I'm not afraid to take it out in the heat or cold or rain, etc. It plays it's role well. Some of the imports are fine.

http://www.family-friendly-music.com/

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 AM

Default light vs mediums

i love my medium elixir nanos,but they tear my fingers up,if i switch to lights,do i have to lower the saddle any?also,how much volume do you really lose from a step down to lights?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 AM

Default Bltprf502...

I am quite happy for you. It is nice that there are quality imports coming in to the states. We have an embarassment of choices...Silver Creek, Eastman, The Loar, Morgan Creek, Blueridge, Republic and Recording King. I am sure that I left someone out and I apologize.

Most of these appear to have good build quality and the amount of models that feature solid back and sides is impressive. I don't know how long the gold rush will last, but I remember when some of the earlier imports coming in from Japan were quite impressive and gave the local boys some competition. History repeats itself.

I hope your Silver Creek brings you many hours of joy!

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...

Last edited by Idaho John; 07-02-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Have you noticed the price MF wants for the Silver Creeks now. They went UP!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:11 PM

I saw that today! I thought it was an error... Maybe there are different ones coming in that something is different? Ah who knows..

I played mine today some more... I tried it in std tuning, but it sounds better tuned a half step down. They are pretty good, but definitely not up to par with a Martin. I think I am remembering why I sold all of my small bodied guitars...

Last edited by Bltprf502; 07-02-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bltprf502 View Post
They are pretty good, but definitely up to par with a Martin. I think I am remembering why I sold all of my small bodied guitars...
If you have a Martin, compare the bracing of the two. Then get out your pocket knife and attack the Silver Creek -- you'll get pretty close.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 AM

Well I wanted to update you all on the Silvercreek T-160 I purchased. After only a day on the Tone Rite it did open just a tad like any new instrument would in the first couple of days of being brand new. Anyway, I was not too pleased with it during the couple of days of playing. So, it went on the TR for another 4-5 days. I took it off yesterday and of course the strings were dead. It sounded somewhat different, but hard to say with the dead strings.

I had a set of Elixer nano PB lights I had on a guitar all of 15 min a week or 2 before and had taken them off. I just cannot like those things on a nice guitar. Defeats the purpose to me. So, I put them on the Silvercreek, tuned it up and I was beyond surprised at what I heard! The Tone Rite for those days made a huge difference in the volume and those Elixer's were just the ticket for that guitar. It is now much louder, more sparkle and alas...more BASS which this guitar did not have. That bothered me, but now I think its fixed as much as it will be except for time taking its toll. It now is much, much more Martin like and I am enjoying it. Some may think this is all subjective, but I will attest that these changes have yielded some very good results.. I would put this up against some guitars costing much more.

I don't want to start cuttting on it yet until I know its a keeper. I'm sure there are many things I could do to improve the sound. If you notice MF doesn't even list the T-160 any more... Wonder why?

***** My back ordered case came today. WOW! These are nice cases for the price. Its as good as a Geib as for as I can tell. However made in China****

Last edited by Bltprf502; 07-08-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
...If you notice MF doesn't even list the T-160 any more... Wonder why?
What's this, Chopped liver?

Quote:
...However made in China****
That really shouldn't be any surprise. Everything is made in China now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion