The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Default Help with Tuners and nut

I was given a 1977 Takamine Dread F-340... I want to upgrade the tuners and nut but I don't know what size tuners to order... Anyone have some advice for me? Same with the nut...Don't they make them precut?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 PM

The tuners on there are probably Gotohs, as Takamine has used Gotohs for as long as I can remember. The Gotoh gears that are available nowadays are significantly better quality than anything they made in the 1970's, or in the 1990's, either, for that matter. Gotoh is one of those rare firms that has continually improved the quality of their products.

Given that the guitar was made more than thirty years ago now, it may well be that the exact same model tuner with the exact same footprint is no longer in production. But go to Allparts.com and see what they have that looks similar.

whm
Old 07-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The tuners on there are probably Gotohs, as Takamine has used Gotohs for as long as I can remember. The Gotoh gears that are available nowadays are significantly better quality than anything they made in the 1970's, or in the 1990's, either, for that matter. Gotoh is one of those rare firms that has continually improved the quality of their products.

Given that the guitar was made more than thirty years ago now, it may well be that the exact same model tuner with the exact same footprint is no longer in production. But go to Allparts.com and see what they have that looks similar.

whm
Thanks for the reply Wade... What model Gotoh would I look for? I would like to replace the whole works, bushings and all... Just never did it before and I don't really know what to look for...
Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 PM

These will work:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...ers_3L_3R.html

As I said, I don't know whether these will be an exact match, but I personally don't worry much about that - I'm more concerned with functionality than anything else. This is something that has changed in the past few decades: a growing percentage of participants on these forums seem more deeply concerned about whether the screwholes will line up than whether the guitar will work better as a musical instrument with better tuners.

I'd say replace the gears, and make the guitar easier to get and keep in tune.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-05-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks Wade... I'll measure the post holes tomorrow... I really appreciate this...
Stay well.....
Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 PM

I ended up taking some 4 aught steel wool to the fretboard... Got all the cheese off... Used some linseed oil on the rosewood and it sucked it up... cleaned and polished the body and neck and then slapped a set of Elixir 12 Nano's on it... The tuners are holding fine... The intonation is perfect for a 33 year old guitar... Sooo...I think I'll just leave well enough alone... This thing sounds just fine... I really like it... Here's how she looks now...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion