The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2001, 11:31 AM

Question Interior label question

Hi folks,

I own a 1997 814c and was considering adding an active pickup system (possibly a Baggs I-Beam) that would require the installation of a 9 volt battery inside of my guitar.

I would like to mount the battery directly behind the heel area of the interior of my guitar but, to do this, I would have to cover up my Taylor serial number label.

If I tried to remove this label to re-position it, I'm sure it would tear into pieces.

I wonder if Taylor would send me a new label that I could glue to the interior back of my guitar (like what is done with the new Taylors).

Has anyone ever requested a new serial number label from Taylor for this purpose? I guess the battery issue was the reason that Taylor changed the positioning of their labels.

God bless,
Louisiana
Old 07-28-2001, 06:58 PM

Cool

Although your intentions are honorable the fact is that some people are not. I dont think Taylor or any other builder would duplicate a serial # tag due to use in a stolen guitar. It would be like asking GM to give me a VIN# Tag for a 70 Corvette and puting it in a stolen car. They might do it but I just dont think they would. I would find another place to mount the battery, like the on the side in the upper bout. Without a serial# in your guitar I dont think Taylor would even do repairs. Just my thoughts but Id call taylor to be sure..JW
Old 07-28-2001, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Louisiana:
<STRONG>Hi folks,

I own a 1997 814c and was considering adding an active pickup system (possibly a Baggs I-Beam) that would require the installation of a 9 volt battery inside of my guitar.

I would like to mount the battery directly behind the heel area of the interior of my guitar but, to do this, I would have to cover up my Taylor serial number label.

If I tried to remove this label to re-position it, I'm sure it would tear into pieces.

I wonder if Taylor would send me a new label that I could glue to the interior back of my guitar (like what is done with the new Taylors).

Has anyone ever requested a new serial number label from Taylor for this purpose? I guess the battery issue was the reason that Taylor changed the positioning of their labels.

God bless,
Louisiana </STRONG>
i got another label. i had my guitar to taylor to put a pick-up in it and in the process of giving it a general overhaul they took off the original sticker. it was also in theheel area. the replacement sticker was also for the heel, so i don't know about the new type. i can't imagine they wouldn't, however as they should have all your info from the registration card you sent in. call their 800 number and talk to mike tobin. he has always been really helpful to me.
Matthew 6:33
(formerly cc)
Old 07-29-2001, 12:58 PM
Jim

In addition to criminals altering stolen guitars they could also use authentic Taylor labels to put into homemade or altered cheapo brand guitars and sell them to unsuspecting buyers as real Taylors.

By not just handing these out, Taylor is protecting all of us.

You may want to call Taylor and find out what their procedure is when there is a legitimate need to replace a label. I'm sure there must be one of some kind or other, though you may need to have it done by one of their authorized repair guys.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:24 PM

If it is necessary to reset a Taylor neck, it is often necessary to replace a torn paper label. (Under that label, the serial number of the guitar is deeply impressed in the neck block.)

Taylor regularly supplies replacement labels to qualified Taylor warranty service techs "in the field." So, I suspect that you'd have no difficulty with your label situation if the installation is done by such a repair person. I wouldn't expect Taylor to ship a label to anyone else, though.

Most of the time, we install preamp batteries over the label, allowing the serial number to be visible. Later, if the battery clip is removed, we can get a replacement label to make things look neat again.

Cheers,

Frank Ford www.frets.com

I personally write, photograph, produce, maintain and serve FRETS.COM in my spare time.

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion