The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Has your Martin had binding problems?
I'm a 2010-2020 Martin owner, but no plastic/celluloid binding problem experienced 119 50.42%
Binding problem experienced on one or more of my 2010-2020 Martins 117 49.58%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2024, 06:06 AM

Great. Now I’m convinced that the binding will separate on my HD28.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:13 AM

I don't own a Martin and really have no desire to. They just aren't for me.

I know several folks that own Martins and no one has complained of the binding separating. However, one gentleman who's guitar doesn't have binding has a nasty crack in the top.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 04-13-2024, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
Yeah, I agree. It's just that Martin or Martinesque guitars really fit this type of music. If I played general singer-songwriter stuff, for example, I might get a Gibson, Taylor, Guild, etc.
I'm just commenting on the statement that you play a Martin regardless of the binding problem because you play bluegrass and I guess I thought that you inferred that you would play something else if you didn't. So what I'm saying is that you can show up to play bluegrass with any of those others and be just as accepted as you would be bringing in a Martin. But that said, if it is a Martin helping you feel more of a bluegrass player, then by all means, do what makes you feel more a part of it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-13-2024, 08:57 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Well, what are the odds? LOL...

I just pulled out the 000-28EC to change strings and give it good once over... and what do I discover?

Yep. Binding is starting to separate on the back on both the upper and lower... Looks like I caught it early, though.

Guess it's my turn... time to walk the walk... I'll get the hair dryer, toothpick, CA medium glue, tape, and clamps...

Had to happen, didn't? I said if it happened, I deal with it. So, I'll deal with it.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw it... Happy Saturday! Time to get busy on the fixing...

Since I cannot change my vote... add one to the HAS EXPERIENCED group and subtract one from the NO group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Binding.jpg (42.9 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by TheGITM; 04-13-2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:29 AM

Hey, that looks like my 000-28EC. The back seems to be where it started on mine too. Hope your DIY repair works out. I'm scared to heat the binding on mine. The double-sided tape I used is holding the binding well enough. It's not getting snagged on my pants or vibrating.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post

I just pulled out the 000-28EC to change strings and give it good once over... and what do I discover?

Yep. Binding is starting to separate on the back on both the upper and lower... Looks like I caught it early, though.

Guess it's my turn... time to walk the walk... I'll get the hair dryer, toothpick, CA medium glue, tape, and clamps...

Had to happen, didn't? I said if it happened, I deal with it. So, I'll deal with it.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw it... Happy Saturday! Time to get busy on the fixing...

Since I cannot change my vote... add one to the HAS EXPERIENCED group and subtract one from the NO group.
AAARRRGH! Sorry to see that! Good luck with repairs. Not sure that qualifies as “early”, though.

You can see the geometry of the problem. Imagine snipping the binding, then laying it in the groove. You’d have approximately 2-3mm gap. That would relieve the pressure. Wonder if thats a bad idea? Then fill the gap with some colored epoxy, or even a bridge of similar binding. Kind of like the expansion joints on bridges, except shrinkage joints?
Beware- your method is exactly what my hog Tweedy had done, and despite meticulous clean up, the CA glue oxidized and there is a rather visible white residue left.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-13-2024, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
AAARRRGH! Sorry to see that! Good luck with repairs. Not sure that qualifies as “early”, though.

You can see the geometry of the problem. Imagine snipping the binding, then laying it in the groove. You’d have approximately 2-3mm gap. That would relieve the pressure. Wonder if thats a bad idea? Then fill the gap with some colored epoxy, or even a bridge of similar binding. Kind of like the expansion joints on bridges, except shrinkage joints?
Beware- your method is exactly what my hog Tweedy had done, and despite meticulous clean up, the CA glue oxidized and there is a rather visible white residue left.
I agree -- I don't think that qualifies as "early." My 2022 Ceo-7 has a length that's about 30% of yours and the gap is much smaller between the body and the binding. You can just fit a fingernail in the space, but it's clearly going to release a much longer portion, as I can see a raised line of finish between the binding and the body along a larger portion.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:17 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Here it is... took all of 15 minutes to get it ready, lightly heat, apply the glue, press with thumb and wipe off the squeeze out, tape, and clamp.

I'll let it sit for a few hours and then see how it looks... assuming it works as well as I expect, I can see why it's only a $70 warranty repair from Martin (I think that's what someone said Martin pays the repair shop). If I were setup to work on guitars I could do this all day and make a ton of dough!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BindingFix.jpg (44.6 KB, 104 views)
Old 04-13-2024, 11:25 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlueEMT View Post
Hey, that looks like my 000-28EC. The back seems to be where it started on mine too. Hope your DIY repair works out. I'm scared to heat the binding on mine. The double-sided tape I used is holding the binding well enough. It's not getting snagged on my pants or vibrating.
I hope it works out, too! I'm done... now it's just wait and see...
Old 04-13-2024, 11:29 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

I swear it wasn't like that a few weeks ago when I last played it... or maybe I just didn't notice since it was only on the back. I guess that's possible.

Since I pulled it out this time specifically to change strings and give it a clean and polish... I noticed.

Not surprised, though. It is a thing...
Old 04-13-2024, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post

Now that's karma in all its glory...
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 04-13-2024, 02:24 PM

I owned a few Martin’s from the era of the poll and didn’t experience the binding issue. It’s too bad to hear about so many folks having this problem with their guitars.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
I agree -- I don't think that qualifies as "early." My 2022 Ceo-7 has a length that's about 30% of yours and the gap is much smaller between the body and the binding. You can just fit a fingernail in the space, but it's clearly going to release a much longer portion, as I can see a raised line of finish between the binding and the body along a larger portion.
2022!! Oh no....

Is the binding Grained Ivoroid as per the Martin Specs for the Ceo-7 or Off white Boltaron ?

My 2023 Eric Clapton has Off White Boltaron like the standard series even though the specs say Grained Ivoroid....it seems the tortoise and iveroid bindings are still causing issues which is maybe ? why the 18 series now has black binding and the EC change to Boltaron

Last edited by Direstrats; 04-13-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:05 PM

Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 04-13-2024 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:23 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

It's passable. I'm not thrilled with the left side. I think I will touch that up tomorrow... I don't think I kept enough pressure on it. Oh, well.

I also need to do a little scraping and buffing. Just a few glue bumps that need to come down, and some blending back with polish.

Not horrible for a first try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BindingFix2.jpg (52.7 KB, 66 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion