The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Music Villa (The Acoustic Letter) has filmed a video review of the new J-35 and will be posting it soon according to their Facebook page.

I can't wait to hear it. I really want this to be a nice sounding Gibson at an attractive price point.

It'll be tough to resist, although Music Villa is firm on the $1699 pricing and they seem to be everywhere else for $100 or more less.

That disappointed me because I really wanted to get one from them, I was really happy with the J45 I purchased there.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson Reissues the J50!

Here are the specs from Wildwood:

Brand: Gibson
Model #: J-35
Finish Color: Natural
Finish Type: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Top Wood: Solid Sitka Spruce
Bracing: Sitka Spruce Forward Shifted, Scalloped, Advanced Bracing
Back & Sides Wood: Solid GENUINE Mahogany
Neck Wood: Solid GENUINE Mahogany
Neck Joint: Hot Hide Glue Dovetail Neck Joint to Body Construction
Neck Shape: Vintage J-35 Neck Profile (.870 1st - .940 9th)
Fretboard Material: 1-Piece Rosewood
Fingerboard Inlays: Mother-of-Pearl Dot
Scale Length: 24 3/4"
Width at Nut: 1.725"
Headstock: Gibson Script and Banner Headstock Logo
Electronics: LR Baggs Element
Tuners: Nickel Vintage w/Cream Buttons
Bridge: 1-Piece Rosewood
Pickguard: Firestripe
Case: Gibson Deluxe Hardshell Case with Blue Interior
Old 03-03-2013, 02:55 AM

Gibson's crack marketing team is really pathetic. At a minimum, they should go out and buy a copy of "Gibson's Fabulous Flat Top Guitars" to use as a general reference. (Or at least give John Thomas a call to review the literature before it goes to print. )

The ad posted in this thread would lead one to believe that the J-35 was the first round shoulder guitar model built by Gibson. It was actually the "Jumbo" as opposed to the J-35 (Jumbo-35). Like the original, this one features the rectangular bridge, but unlike that design, the new bridge does not taper in thickness from the bass to the treble side. This one features a drop-in saddle as opposed to the original's longer through saddle. I suppose that these changes were likely made to accomodate the built-in pickup. I also can't figure out why they refer to the "J-45 Family line" when the J-35 proceeded the J-45, both of which were proceeded by the Jumbo of course. If anything they should simply call it the round shoulder family line or the jumbo family line . I guess that's due to the fact that more people are familiar with the J-45?

Marketing aside, I like the guitar and think this is a good move on Gibson's part. I've always liked J-35s and have owned one myself in the past (a re-issue run made for Fullers in Houston complete with a beautiful sunburst finish). This one will probably sell very well for Gibson.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 AM

I thought a J-50 was just a J-45 without a burst finish, and J-45 was an upgrade from th J-35.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

I have the Gibson J-50 Modern Classic - I bought mine from Fuller's. I have been playing the heck out of it these last few weeks and it is an incredible guitar.

I would LOVE to know just for information's sake what the difference between these two guitars are besides the tuners and the pickguards (My J-50 has ROTOs and a bigazz Texas pickguard).

J45 Naturals, and my J-50 both come in around that $2100-$2250 mark - so I would love to understand the difference in price. I have a feeling not much, but that won't stop me from enjoying my J-50...

Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 AM

The J45 & J50 are essentially the same guitar.

The apparent main difference between the "new" J35 and yours is in the bracing.

The "new" J35 uses Sitka Spruce Forward Shifted, Scalloped, Advanced Bracing. The J45 uses standard x bracing.

The will sound different, but how much remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I have the Gibson J-50 Modern Classic - I bought mine from Fuller's. I have been playing the heck out of it these last few weeks and it is an incredible guitar.

I would LOVE to know just for information's sake what the difference between these two guitars are besides the tuners and the pickguards (My J-50 has ROTOs and a bigazz Texas pickguard).

J45 Naturals, and my J-50 both come in around that $2100-$2250 mark - so I would love to understand the difference in price. I have a feeling not much, but that won't stop me from enjoying my J-50...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion