The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 06:07 PM

Default Cut me a nut

Greetings, first timer here

I have a yamaha ntx700c. It has a 48mm nut, but the string spacing is a little narrow. I would like to purchase a new nut with wider spacing...

There must be someone who could cut me one, more precisely than I could do if I bought a set of nut cutting files and did it myself I fear There is def room to go wider on the fretboard.

Hope you're all doing ok in this crazycorona business. Peace
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 PM

I used these guys for the same reason on a Yamaha LS6M

https://graphtech.com/pages/tusq-nuts
Old 03-28-2020, 08:10 PM

I recently replaced the nut on my Ovation with a Graph Tech nut and chose a slightly wider string spacing and am very pleased with the results. The very small increase in string spacing made a big difference for me. Check their website and you'll see exacly which measurements you'll need. Measure precisely and match up your measurements to something they have that is at least big enough to fit and has the string spacing you want. You'll need to sand/file it to fit exactly, and you'll need nut slot files to get the strings to the exact height needed. Go slowly so as to not cut the slots too deep. If you're somewhat handy and take your time it's really not hard to do.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 03-28-2020, 08:35 PM

Well! Thanks, I knew you wouldn't let me down.. Seems like the one they have will be a perfect fit, hopefully. I wonder why Yamaha would install such a narrow string space. Maybe I have larger sausage like fingers than normal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion