The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2019, 05:03 AM

Smile NGD - Waterloo WL-12 Mahogony

I grew up before the Internet <gasp> and all I knew was Martin Dreadnaughts and Gibson Jumbos. I have a Gibson Hummingbird I bought new in 1973.

I took a brief hiatus (having kids around) and bought an OM as inspiration to use my hand after breaking my wrist. I'm completely in love with the size (and more importantly) the sound. No regrets.

Having read a lot of the forum posts from some amazingly knowledgeable and helpful members I played some Collings and some 12-fretters.

I decided on a Waterloo (price being a large consideration). Since I already had a Martin OM, I decided on the all Mahogany WL-12.

I am in awe. I don't know if it's the fact that it's a Waterloo or a 12-Fret (or a combination) but just a gentle coax of the strings and they just sing out with a sustain that rings forever. I am greatly indebted to all the wiser minds here and in particular one friend.

I've gone on quite enough. I wish everyone a good day!
Old 04-05-2019, 05:17 AM

Congrats, That is a great sounding guitar. I am planning a home built guitar and I am modeling it after this particular guitar. I know the lower bout is 14.75" but can not find anywhere the width of the upper bout. If you would measure the width of the upper bout I would greatly appreciate it. Have fun with your new Waterloo.

Last edited by Ozark; 04-05-2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: added question
Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 AM

The upper bout is ten inches.

Sorry it took a while, I've been busy playing. I'm not sure if it's because it's a 12-fret (first I've owned) or all mahogany (again, first I've owned) but he sustain is incredible as is the general vibration of the guitar. Wow!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Thumbs up

That is a great combo...I'd like to hear that sustain
Old 04-06-2019, 11:30 AM

You made an excellent choice. My absolute favorite guitar. A recommendation...consider D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings...they really work well on it.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Guest 728

Excellent guitar! If I didn't already have the spruce & maple version, I'd have one of those. Someday I might get one anyway!
Old 04-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Excellent guitar! If I didn't already have the spruce & maple version, I'd have one of those. Someday I might get one anyway!
I also owned the Maple/Spruce version and liked it a lot. But, this is a completely different animal. Wonderful fingerstyle guitar.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
You made an excellent choice. My absolute favorite guitar. A recommendation...consider D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings...they really work well on it.
I think I'm the only one that doesn't like D'Addario EJ16 . I put on a set of Thomas-Infeld Spectrums. GHS is a very close second-- they'd probably be my preferred set if I was looking at the price. Are the Nickle Bronze strings very different than the Phospher Bronze? (I don't want to start yet another thread on strings!) I'll let the Spectrums play in a bit.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
I also owned the Maple/Spruce version and liked it a lot. But, this is a completely different animal. Wonderful fingerstyle guitar.
There is definitely no duplication between those two animals. (Great reason to have both!)

At first, I was jumping between various dreadnaughts but I'm so darn happy with my OM-21, none of them sounded that different to my ears (at least).
Old 04-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
I think I'm the only one that doesn't like D'Addario EJ16 . I put on a set of Thomas-Infeld Spectrums. GHS is a very close second-- they'd probably be my preferred set if I was looking at the price. Are the Nickle Bronze strings very different than the Phospher Bronze? (I don't want to start yet another thread on strings!) I'll let the Spectrums play in a bit.

Thanks
Oh, they are completely different. I absolutely despise EJ16's. And because of my dislike for regular D'Addario's I took a leap of faith to try the Nickel Bronze. Totally different strings. I use them on several guitars, and they sound great on the WL12 Mahogany.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Where are the pics????
Old 04-06-2019, 03:26 PM

Change your title to NGDNP....

New guitar day no pics. come on man...
Old 04-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Congratulations, I thought you would love it. Mine is my favorite guitar, over two other Waterloos, a Martin 0-18, and a couple of older Larrivees; I've tried several guitars and the WL-12Mh has always come out first!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion