The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 PM

Default Open B

I've got 13's on my Yamaha and, for a certain song, I tuned it all the way down to open B (started with open D and just kept going). I play mostly fingerstyle. There's no buzzing or anything. Any problem with leaving it there? Like causing damage to the guitar over time?
Fender GDP100 Parlor
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-30-2013, 04:16 AM

nop wayne

13-56 on my guitars for many years in tunings ranging from 'B' up to standard pitch - all's fine
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM

When I saw the title I was afraid you meant moving Open G up 2 to Open B! "Heck yeah you'll blow your guitar up!" I thought!

But no, what you are proposing is fine. But if you leave it there permanently you'll probably need to adjust the truss rod if it was set up for standard if it's going to stay there.

But your guitar will tell you what you need to do. It will probably"capo itself" at the 5th fret or above As long as you don't make the neck "work too hard" by moving back and forth regularly you have no worries.

Sounds like you need to invest in a cheap baritone and see if it's for you. Mine, a 27 inch scale one, is kept with the low string at B. Whether I'm playing an open tuning or standard guitar "shaped" tuning, it starts at B.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion