The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Default Martin om 28

Hi guys,
I was wondering what are gonna be the differences between a new martin om28 and a 1997 model?
Of course the wood aged.
Is there different in the building?
I only ever played new ones from a store and I liked it.
I have a good opportunity to get 1997 one for a fair price
Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

The string spacing at the bridge will be narrower on the new one. Most likely the neck profile will be different; Martin keeps swapping these around. They usually use the "low profile, performing artist taper" now, which didn't exist back in '97. If it were me, I'd prefer the '97.
Steve
Old 03-24-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Lots of changes, I assume. The latest version of has 1 3/4" nut width, different string spacing, etc.

Given discounts, you can get now before stores are forced to close and sitting on big inventory, the used unit has to be priced VERY well to justify buying a used one instead of a new one with a warranty.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Lots of changes, I assume. The latest version of has 1 3/4" nut width, different string spacing, etc.

Given discounts, you can get now before stores are forced to close and sitting on big inventory, the used unit has to be priced VERY well to justify buying a used one instead of a new one with a warranty.
Yep, you can get a brand new one for around $2,350 from forum sponsors. I saw one from the late 90s listed on Reverb for $2,400 the other day, seemed kinda ridiculous.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 PM

You might prefer the older one. Can you play them both?

I got a used, pre-re-imagined model D35, not long ago. I preferred everything about it over the new model hanging in the store including neck, nut width, neck, sound, price, neck. If the price had been the same, I would have still bought the older one.

Someone else might have preferred the new model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion