The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 03:51 PM

Default Songwriter review… for the rest of us

Right off the top- do we really need another picture of an instrument that all of us have seen before? Combine this with the fact that I always seem to have issues with posting pictures and could use a bit of slack, OK? If I get enough pressure it could happen, I guess.
On to the good part. It’s a NEW Gibson Songwriter. Made out of wood. There is light wood on the top and then there is dark wood on the back and sides. Rosewood and spruce is the common term and I am thinking that I do not need the scientific names. I know some of you folks out there know the names (I have admiration for you) but I have no clue and I am fine with it. Let’s move on, I am want to get to changing the strings soon. Letting the cat out of the bag here so you know I do not care for the supplied strings. If someone from Gibson would have consulted myself prior to installing the strings this would not be an issue, but being a forgiving soul and all that…..
I understand that some are going to want to know how it sounds and plays. I can do this. I am, by the way, a PROFESSIONAL musician. I get paid to play (usually, though this is not a hard and fast rule by any means) so you can trust me.
I had a Gibson a long time ago. It was a J-50 I believe and the last time I played it was around 40 years ago. It was the only guitar I owned for a long time. Keep in mind that this was long before the intra-web and this forum existed. I had no clue that a person could have more than one instrument (thanks for that). It had a sound (tone is the word if you know the scientific names of wood) that was almost haunting at times. I could not say what it was but I loved it. I could get lost in that sound for hours. I lost that sound due to poor decisions in my youth and have since discovered that there are many instruments around that are easily as good and sound very nice (I have a few now). I played this new guitar for a bit before lowering the action (yes, I am old) and will swap out the strings here in a bit. The bottom line of this review is this: Most anyone can tell you that “you can’t go back there.” Perhaps you should play a Gibson dread before you decide for yourself. Mine just took me back there. I understand I cannot live in the past, but I can visit there at times.
It is going to be a special instrument.

Wade and many others suggested that this Songwriter was a worthwhile instrument. Glad I listened.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new guitar - I enjoyed reading about it - you write very well.

Now make the pics already man!
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 04-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I haven’t played a Songwriter in 15 years. It belonged to a friend of a friend who barely played. I remember it being a really great guitar.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 04-26-2024, 06:52 PM

Lowered the saddle and changed the strings to nickel wound. That was OK but not for me. I had a set of 10’s (Diadario) XS hanging around and decided to try those. I know these strings are too light but it was that or head to the local music store for some 11’s. Being old and slow I went the easy route…..I will try the 11’s in a few days, but right now it sings well.
You folks were right about the Gibson. Sounds remarkable to me.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:28 PM

Great thread. Congrats on the new guitar and enjoy your diversion into the past.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:37 PM

I’m glad that my positive comments about the Songwriter model helped encourage you to try one out.

whm
Old 04-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

‘Light wood on the top and darker wood on the back and sides,’ eh? Sounds like a guitar I wood like!
Nice, refreshingly down-to earth description, thank you!
Old 04-26-2024, 09:16 PM

Love it!

A year ago I was in Nashville for a few days and while there I fell in love with a Songwriter at the Gibson Garage. I played 4-5 acoustics there (and a bunch at another shop specializing in a different brand) before picking up the Songwriter and was instantly smitten! I left without the guitar but went back the next day with the intention of purchasing it but, it was gone.

A couple months ago I righted that wrong and became the owner of a beautiful new Songwriter. I'm in love with the sound (yes tone) and the looks of this wonderful work of art. I know Gibson has a reputation of being somewhat inconsistent in years past and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that but it seems Gibson has made some improvements in their processes and procedures, QA, however you want to explain it. I've played a bunch of Gibson acoustics over the last year or so and most, not all, but most were wonderful.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congratulations! I hear that the medium wood on the top and sides is not nearly as nice as the light and dark model because it has “in ‘tan’ ation” issues. :-)
Nicely done! Enjoy.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion