The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 07:40 AM

Is buying selling trading of musical gear your hobby?

IF so I suppose the platforms and avenues to engage in the hobby would influence how much enjoyment one gets from such a hobby.

One of my hobbies is trying to play music. I'm not very good at it but I'm better than when I started. I've a handful of instruments that I've picked up. I've sold at least one and traded in another so I have done the buy sell trade at least a little.

I have done a whole lot of buying selling trading in outdoor gear. The hassles of the whole process have turned me off from such activities. I'm saving a lot of money. I'm also more careful/selective when I do buy sell or trade.

I have found for myself that transactions on topic specific websites go much better for me than wide open reselling type sites. I do use local Craigslist occasionally with some success and local MusicGoRound locations.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:19 AM

I had a bad experience with them and I won't use them again even if it turned out Okay..
Bought a MINT Fender Frontman 25 R w/manual what I got was a beat up Frontman 25R even the serial numbers weren't the same by the pictures ..Well Reverb took care of it.... But I couldn't leave a neg review after I received the refund... I mean how is that right, this guy will only do it again..

Well anyway I'm done with them

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 04-02-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
"If the buyer doesn't pay for this order within 5 days from the offer being accepted, we will automatically cancel the order so you can relist your item for sale."

It should say, "we'll pull your add off the system for 5 days, then it will reappear and buyers will be suspicious as to why, but assume the product was returned cuz it is tainted or something."
Add this to the description: “Relisted due to non-payment from buyer."
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 04-02-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
Curious if you sold this "as is." I guess technically the buyer could still say it was a discrepancy from the listing description and get his money back. I've learned that selling the item "as is" with no returns unless it shows up differently, keeps some people from trying to return. I say 'some' people because as we've already said there are people who try to do it every time no matter what.
It was listed 'no returns'....because it was as new, in stellar mint condition. Some people are really Odd. I don't see what a random mark on a case has to do with the condition or value of a guitar?
Old 04-02-2024, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Add this to the description: “Relisted due to non-payment from buyer."
I've considered a more snarky "Relisted due to deadbeat time-waster" :P
Old 04-02-2024, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I have bought pre-owned clothing on a site called Grailed. When you make the seller an offer which is accepted, or accept the sellers price, the transaction is completed, and your credit card is automatically charged. I believe the funds are not released to the seller until three days has passed following delivery. I imagine this reduces the deadbeat buyers to zero.

David
Old 04-02-2024, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I have bought pre-owned clothing on a site called Grailed. When you make the seller an offer which is accepted, or accept the sellers price, the transaction is completed, and your credit card is automatically charged. I believe the funds are not released to the seller until three days has passed following delivery. I imagine this reduces the deadbeat buyers to zero.

David
Reverb's order of operations is messed up on the front side in that regard. They just recently added a feature that you can agree to when you make an offer that will charge you immediately when the seller accepts. That should be the rule, not an option. Maybe they are working toward that and testing the functionality, but that would solve the problem immediately. I don't really get the idea of making an offer, having to click that you agree to pay if accepted and then giving them 5 days to think about it and then not follow through. It's ludicrous.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Reverb's order of operations is messed up on the front side in that regard. They just recently added a feature that you can agree to when you make an offer that will charge you immediately when the seller accepts. That should be the rule, not an option. Maybe they are working toward that and testing the functionality, but that would solve the problem immediately. I don't really get the idea of making an offer, having to click that you agree to pay if accepted and then giving them 5 days to think about it and then not follow through. It's ludicrous.
I noticed they started doing that, I haven't seen an offer come through with that yet but I assume they notify you if the buyer has selected that option.

100% agree that it should be the SOP, but until it is they should really pivot to keeping listings live until someone has actually paid, as opposed to removing listings when an offer is accepted. Maybe could include a small text snippet on the product page of "offer has been accepted pending payment", similar to the "this item is in one person's cart" that they already have. Like I said earlier in the thread I usually cancel an order if someone hasn't paid within 24ish hours of an accepted offer, but even then you usually lose at least a few watchers.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
I noticed they started doing that, I haven't seen an offer come through with that yet but I assume they notify you if the buyer has selected that option.
It does notify you - there is a big message that says something like "This buyer has agreed to pay instantly when you accept the offer."

Seems like a stupid thing to be excited bout because that should be the only way this works.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:03 PM

Sorry to hear that reverb has gone downhill. How do eBay fees compared to reverb these days?
Old 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

As a follow-up to my comments above regarding Grailed, that platform also will not allow a potential purchaser to submit a lowball offer to the seller. It has to be within a certain percentage of the asking price, or it is a no-go.

David
Old 04-02-2024, 07:22 PM

Step 1: list your gear at higher than the going rate.
Step 2: make several fake reverb accounts.
Step 3: make very friendly offers on all competing gear priced lower than yours.
Step 4: offers are accepted, don't pay on any of them.
Step 5: now your gear is the cheapest one, or at least has a lot less competition.
Step 6: repeat as needed.

This has been a big problem on reverb with effects pedals and electronic music gear, for years and years.

The solution is to just turn off offers and price your gear fairly for what it is. It'll sell eventually. If it doesn't, your price is probably too high.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:51 AM

I believe there are 2 factors at work here:

The used market for guitars is extremely soft right now. It's a buyer's market and people will take advantage of that. Change their mind, continue to look for a better deal as there is not a lot of buyer competition for the used guitar and there's a lot of guitars available.

This will upset some people, sorry. A lot of people are just flaky. Their word or commitment means nothing, especially when they are insulated from confrontation by the internet and a computer screen. My wife buys and sells used furniture on Facebook marketplace. This kind of stuff happens frequently. No shows, no calls. Your time wasted staying home waiting for someone that's not coming.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
It was listed 'no returns'....because it was as new, in stellar mint condition. Some people are really Odd. I don't see what a random mark on a case has to do with the condition or value of a guitar?
I buy and sell a lot of guitar stuff, and FWIW I have never and would never list an item as "MINT." My perception of mint is based on being a young coin collector back in the day, and mint mean straight from the place where it was minted. Translate that into guitars and in my mind would mean straight from the factory or dealer before being opened or played. I realize that not everybody uses my narrow definition...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-03-2024, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

hey - guess what just happened again today???? This time the person actually paid but asked for a refund before I got it shipped, which I was literally just about to leave to go drop off. It was a pedal, so way less work, but another example of the nonsense that flies at Reverb these days. So dumb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion