The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2022, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
It sounded okay in the YouTube demos I've watched so far. My local shop got one of the new 514CEs in and I'm going to check it out in person today.

Regarding Ironbark, some good info here: https://www.woodsolutions.com.au/woo...d/ironbark-red
Hi Jeremy,

I will be very interested in your reaction to the new Taylor 514CE after you've had a chance to play it. To me, this is an interesting development.

- Glenn
Old 09-30-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I think the confusion was thinking Iron Bark and Ironwood were the same

I have used ironwood for deck construction and it is so heavy it would IMO not be at all good for guitar
That is probably ipe (AKA Brazilian ironwood) which is yet another species with that very common moniker.
AFAIK, 'muscle wood' is a common name for hornbeam, because the fluted trunk and limbs along with the smooth bark resemble the body of a muscular animal. Hophornbeam does not exhibit this growth habit.

Last edited by John Arnold; 09-30-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:56 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Jeremy,

I will be very interested in your reaction to the new Taylor 514CE after you've had a chance to play it. To me, this is an interesting development.

- Glenn
Hey Glenn,

I picked up the guitar this afternoon and will be spending some time with it tonight. My initial impression was that it felt pretty tight like a koa guitar but less bright and glassy than a K24. It’s got a nice low end but I had to dig in pretty good to get it out. I can see why Andy Powers chose to put a torrefied top on it. The high end had a bit of a stereo effect to it, like the 816CE Builder’s Edition but without the soundport. Strange and interesting.

I’ll post more thoughts as I spend some more time with it.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Glenn,

I picked up the guitar this afternoon and will be spending some time with it tonight. My initial impression was that it felt pretty tight like a koa guitar but less bright and glassy than a K24. It’s got a nice low end but I had to dig in pretty good to get it out. I can see why Andy Powers chose to put a torrefied top on it. The high end had a bit of a stereo effect to it, like the 816CE Builder’s Edition but without the soundport. Strange and interesting.

Thanks Jeremy!

Fascinating; I'll wait to read more!

- Glenn
Old 09-30-2022, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

I listened to the Youtube demo by Acoustic Letter. I was not impressed with the voice or tone. I was especially non-plussed by the smaller 512CE. In all fairness, I need to play the new 500 series in person to offer a more fair personal assessment. But I don't find it all that compelling.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-01-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
That is probably ipe (AKA Brazilian ironwood) which is yet another species with that very common moniker.
AFAIK, 'muscle wood' is a common name for hornbeam, because the fluted trunk and limbs along with the smooth bark resemble the body of a muscular animal. Hophornbeam does not exhibit this growth habit.
Thank you. Another common name for Ipe is Lapacho. You will find it extremely dense and hard (think heavy, but also think hard-to-dent). It can make a great guitar.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Hey Glenn,

Does your local shop just let you take a guitar home over night to try it out??? If so, that's awesome. It'll be interesting to hear how you like it.

Turtle
Old 10-01-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I listened to the Youtube demo by Acoustic Letter. I was not impressed with the voice or tone. I was especially non-plussed by the smaller 512CE. In all fairness, I need to play the new 500 series in person to offer a more fair personal assessment. But I don't find it all that compelling.
I thought the 512 sounded good until I heard the 514, it sounded great but not sure it would let my voice come through, I have the same problem with my Alvarez MD60eBG it blurs my vocals, because of the bigger bottom end.
But being of a wood that's similar to Rosewood maybe not??
I don't have that problem with my AD17e

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 10-01-2022, 12:18 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
Does your local shop just let you take a guitar home over night to try it out??? If so, that's awesome. It'll be interesting to hear how you like it.

Turtle
No, I had to buy it. I have a good relationship with the owner but not that good.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I was going to say, hey why doesn't my guy do that for me??? I guess that would be quite a stretch to let a high end number out of the store for a test drive.

Turtle
Old 10-01-2022, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Old railroad ties, telephone poles, picnic tables and park benches.
I think this is it, who's cutting down big trees in urban areas? No one is.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
I think this is it, who's cutting down big trees in urban areas? No one is.
They cut down big trees in urban areas all the time, especially after storms... Mature trees that get into water / sewer lines, and foundations, have to be taken down frequently.... They mostly end up as firewood, or barn sized piles of mulch in city yards.....

Don
Old 10-02-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
They cut down big trees in urban areas all the time, especially after storms... Mature trees that get into water / sewer lines, and foundations, have to be taken down frequently.... They mostly end up as firewood, or barn sized piles of mulch in city yards.....

Don
This. Even a smallish city like Albany NY takes down enough trees to offer residents mulch for pickup. Does anyone really think Taylor is making these things out of rotted picnic tables or discarded utility poles?
Old 10-02-2022, 09:07 AM

Other luthiers are moving into sustainable woods/ composites territory. It will be the way to do business moving into the future whether we like it or we don't.

I guess one would eventually have to succumb, shell out the premium for vintage instruments..... or watch the rest of us play from the sidelines.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I like to dabble in woodworking and earlier this week, even before I saw this thread, I went to this wood supplier here in Southern Cal for the first time to look at some slabs. It turns out that they supplied the urban ash to Taylor for a previous run of guitars. They actually had a Taylor guitar on display in the showroom and if you page down on the website you can see them detail their partnership with Taylor. I'm thinking that it might be possible that the Urban Iron Bark might be from this outfit and I hope that a quick perusal of this company's website shows that big trees are taken down all the time and I for one am glad that they are repurposed for anything and especially happy that they turn into great guitars.

www.streettreerevival.com

Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion