The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 08:18 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

You can actually appreciate the guitars without being a fan of the company.

There are some pretty awesome Martin guitars. Just sayin'
Old 04-29-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Thing is, Martin guitar sales have INCEASED every year since the binding issue became known...Numbers don't lie...
I'd be curious to see which models are responsible for the sales increases, as well as the (hopefully independent) source of the sales stats - I know/know of a lot of people (who aren't as broadly informed as those of us here on the AGF) who bought into the Martin name/reputation and purchased one of the entry-level MIM instruments, and as stated previously the Authentics are in a class by themselves...
Old 04-29-2024, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd be curious to see which models are responsible for the sales increases, as well as the (hopefully independent) source of the sales stats - I know/know of a lot of people (who aren't as broadly informed as those of us here on the AGF) who bought into the Martin name/reputation and purchased one of the entry-level MIM instruments, and as stated previously the Authentics are in a class by themselves...
I believe it's only the more expensive made-in-Nazareth guitars that had/have the binding issue because of stricter environmental regulations restricting glue use in the US.

I'm not a Martin insider, but unofficial sales data and conversation over on the Martin forum suggests that guitar sales have increased every year for at least a decade at BOTH the Mexico and Nazareth factories. (We did see the CFO say in an interview that sales at both facilities exploded during that covid boom 2020-2022.) That would mean people are buying more new Martins with potential binding issues than ever before.

When I look at this as a human being, in terms of what's the Right thing to do, I am outraged by how Martin has remained silent. But when I remove that and look at it as a business, given their sales numbers, it's obvious why they've taken the approach they have. Chris is interested in preserving and growing his inherited company for another 200 years. There's no way they're not working like crazy to fix this binding issue, but it also makes sense why he's not running around apologizing to everyone when sales are through the roof.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

It's great if Martin isn't just sitting on its laurels. I just don't know to what extent anything in the article is the basis of real, long-term innovation.

I'm just piling on at this point but they sure seem overly pleased with themselves about Inception.

Hope they figure it out. For sure, as stated above, most of us here aren't the future.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:07 AM

Pretty difficult to be the historical benchmark, by which others are judged, and be the innovator the future needs.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Pretty difficult to be the historical benchmark, by which others are judged, and be the innovator the future needs.
Well said, Dave. That is a tough spot to be in.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
You can actually appreciate the guitars without being a fan of the company.

There are some pretty awesome Martin guitars. Just sayin'
I am not a fan of some of their comments recently, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate their guitars. I am not going to fire sale my Martins just because I think the CEO is misguided.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-29-2024, 02:52 PM

No laurels are being sat on, just management backsides.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

What is going on now at Martin sadly reminds me of when Henry tried to turn Gibson into a “lifestyle company”. When a company gets too far away from their core business model chasing something new, it invariably ends up damaging their overall brand. The problem with new CEOs is they always have to put their stamp on the company, making big changes when tweaks would have been more appropriate.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-29-2024, 03:21 PM

Compared to even five years ago, the acoustic guitar market is just incredibly competitive and robust, with new, interesting, affordable, and decent guitars coming in from literally all over the world, particularly China and other countries on the Pac Rim. Just look at Eastman and Alvarez to name a couple of companies. I can't fault Martin for trying to stay even with the curve, or even a little ahead. If you don't innovate in this global environment, you die. Now I think you can also innovate backward, so to speak, back to your roots and your founding vision. Maybe Martin is trying to do both, innovate both forward and backward, which seems pretty smart to me. Time will tell, I guess, but just standing still and hoping and wishing you keep your market share and your customer base is probably not such a good idea. I don't think this new guitar is designed for guys like me in our late 50s and 60s, who have already been inculcated in the great historical tradition of the Martin guitars and the Martin company; I think it's designed for younger folks who appreciate innovation and creativity in design and who are looking for a "cool" guitar that has a decent pickup installed but that is still an excellent guitar. Good quality Euro spruce, as others have mentioned, is nothing to sneeze at as a top wood, and the rest of the guitar looks to be the outcome of a lot of thought and experimentation and tinkering. Maybe it won't exactly appeal to me, but I applaud the effort and the general direction.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Martin should focus on building solid Martins. They have no reason to "innovate" new body shapes and bracing patterns that are far afield from their traditional models: 0, 00, 000, OM, D. Tradition is the foundation of Martin's business model and its success.

Love them or hate hate them, to the average person, consumer or listener, Martin and Gibson are the most well known guitar brands. Most people see a dreadnaught body shape, and they think it's a Martin. A good portion (most?) don't care about mahogany, rosewood, ebony, or what species spruce is used.

To a limited extent, Martin has already built guitars with: maple, cherry, walnut, oak, and ash. They should more regularly use those domestic woods, as well as osage, myrtle, and Mexican katalox (for bridges and fretboards). Long ago Martin should have been using domestic woods out of an ethical desire to source, allocate, and utilize limited natural resources, as well as limiting transportation of materials, and supporting local/regional businesses and industry.

I hope Martin will double down on what it is as a brand, by addressing and fixing the binding and neck reset issues, while leaving the faux innovations to Taylor. After all, Andy Powers innovated a new body design, the slope shoulder dreadnought, a full 100 years after Martin built the first Ditson dreadnaught in 1916 and after Gibson built its first Jumbo in 1934. Prodigious! Andy also innovated the V bracing pattern a century after Gibson introduced similarly placed tone bars in their F hole mandolins and arch top guitars. Eureka!
Old 04-30-2024, 07:25 AM

Default a thought

I see we're visiited by a Bash-Taylor-at-every-chance operator. What's Taylor got to do with Martin?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I see we're visiited by a Bash-Taylor-at-every-chance operator. What's Taylor got to do with Martin?
Read back through the thread. He's responding to the challenge of being the traditional standard bearer while innovating. Taylor is another large guitar maker with a different production philosophy and marketing strategy--totally in-bounds to point out any slight of hand Taylor may be using in that effort. Super helpful comparing industry giants to understand why Martin might be doing some of the things they're doing under new leadership.

Last edited by zoopeda; 04-30-2024 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:54 AM

martingitdave dave wote:
"Pretty difficult to be the historical benchmark, by which others are judged, and be the innovator the future needs."

One marketing book I read many years ago pointed out that anybody can claim to be the best, but only one can be the first. Chris based his resurrection strategy on that when he took over an ailing company, and it worked.

I don't see exploring the use of 'new' woods as an abrogation of that philosophy. Modern technology and measurement methods might well show ways in which those could be more intelligently integrated into the line without jumping on the the 'innovation' bandwagon.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:58 AM

This is my own warped view of Martin (and applies to all manufacturers).

When I (anyone) pays, say, $4000 for a nice instrument from a manufacturer, part of that cost is for the “lifetime” warranty…ok?
Now, this is where it gets kinky (no, not THAT kind of kinky). To remain in the marketplace a manufacturer needs to be selling new instruments, as this is what generates profits. No way around that.
Now, let’s say I bought a new guitar from ABC Guitar Makers company (for that $4000) last year with a “lifetime” warranty. Fast forward one year and there is a person at a music store that wants to buy a similar instrument to the one I have. The ABC company is out of that model, so they need to get one built in order to take the $ from the new customer. ABC company is letting you know that for the $ you are spending they will deliver what they said they would- a nice instrument that sounds and plays well (with a warranty). Nothing strange here, this is the way it should go.
Now, let’s say I have an issue with MY instrument and it needs to go back to the manufacturer for warranty service. These things happen, but I have a warranty, so all is good. Maybe….
Is the ABC company going to focus on the new customer so they can make the $ needed to keep making instruments? They HAVE to, if they want to stay in business. But….. What about me? The issue I have is that ABC ALREADY HAS MY MONEY. Do they not owe me anything AFTER the sale? Like dealing with my instrument in a fair and timely manner?
There ARE companies that have struck a good balance with this warranty/sales issue. I understand this is a difficult issue with some manufacturers, but for myself, I have already PAID for the service when I made the original purchase.
As a footnote, I am wondering how long it takes the ABC company to manufacture a new instrument as opposed to taking care of mine? Tone and playability is the sought after goal with guitars, but it’s not everything.
Instruments are a passion for many of us, I hope the brands I buy feel the same…..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion