The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2024, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
I teach guitar, and if I have a student who wants to upgrade his/her guitar, I always recommend a Yamaha LS6M or an LL6M ARE, something along those lines. The quality is fantastic. I've never run into a bad one yet. Yamaha takes a lot of pride in the whole of their guitar line, from the least to the most expensive. This has been my experience. Hopefully, Yamaha can breathe some life into Guild, which would be super!
No complaint about Yamaha buying the company, but I've never heard that Guild needed life breathed into it.

I'm going to quote you at the Guild forum and let you know what folks over there say. Stay tuned! . . . .

MONDAY REPORT:

Folks don't seem unhappy with the quality of newer US Guilds. But Cordoba's marketing hasn't inspired comfidence. Yamaha knows how to make guitars, and this isn't the first time Guild has changed hands. Each iteration is different. Some comments:
"I don't accept the premise that Guild needed new life breathed into it. But, since the move to Cordoba after 2014, fans like many of us have had some serious gripes and I would say that we've been unheard."

"I'd rather have a foreign parent company making guitars in the US than an American company making guitars offshore. (I for one, only have any interest in domestic made Guilds, no matter who owns them..(.the rest are Squiers to me . . . ."

"I see some potential synergy here. . . ."

"There are to me many benefits. Yamaha's significant distribution network for one. In the SF Bay area, the only store selling US Guilds is a good two or three hours away. Add three more stores in every major metro area and Oxnard gets an expansion to meet demand. Yamaha has superb QC. Guild imports get moved to Yamaha production facilities. Yamaha has not been historically a buy and burn outfit like Fender and Gibson. Like Toyota, Yamaha needs a big US production presence. . . ."
There's a lot more. So my impression is that some Guild groupies are unhappy with Cordoba's marketing. So it looks like you're on to something. I remember when the big three were Martin, Gibson, and Guild. Now Taylor is number three, and not many guitar players think about Guild anymore.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-22-2024 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCary View Post
they can't do worse than fender
Well, Fender stood by the "Lifetime Warranty" my Guild D35 had when I bought it new in 1969. About 15 years ago the bridge was starting to peel off. I took it to Guitar Works in Evanston, IL, and they confirmed that Fender would honor the repair. Maybe Yamaha will do the same, if I should ever need another warranty repair.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weeks View Post
Well, Fender stood by the "Lifetime Warranty" my Guild D35 had when I bought it new in 1969. About 15 years ago the bridge was starting to peel off. I took it to Guitar Works in Evanston, IL, and they confirmed that Fender would honor the repair. Maybe Yamaha will do the same, if I should ever need another warranty repair.

Great post! Also, I’m a big fan of Guitar Works.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I can't see Yamaha just turning Guild into a clone, but maintaining its' distinctive qualities and doing better marketing and distribution is to be welcomed.
Yamaha builds guitars in several countries, and it is notable they still make and market the Japanese builds as their premium models.
If they can keep the better Guild US builds (12 strings?) going that's a real plus. They have a real strong reputation to build on, as we all know.
My first quality guitar was a used Guild F512 12 string bought in 1969. The sound is still with me. Like a harpsichord on steroids. I wish I still had that one!
Old 05-06-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest 61722 View Post
I think this is actually terrible news. :/

I would have been a lot happier to read "Martin Acquires Guild," or something along those lines.

No knock on Yamahas; they are fine guitars. I just hate to see a small US-based company that produces quality products get swallowed up by a foreign corporate giant.
I think the 'company' represented by the Guild name exists as a collection of file cabinets and maybe copyrights. I have no idea whether there are any individuals who had their employment passed from one corporate owner to the next. Same for any production equipment. I'd like to read some comments about the handoffs and what, and who, were transferred.

For example, Bourgeois was bought out by Eastman but the Bourgeois factory in Maine still builds Bourgeois guitars with the same staff. I think that isn't the sort of buyouts that happened with Guild, but I'd like to learn what in fact happened along the way.

Last edited by phavriluk; 05-06-2024 at 12:12 PM. Reason: additions
Old 05-06-2024, 12:22 PM

I think this is good news to have a strong stable company buy Guild which has been sold countless times. Maybe this will lend the stability needed to rebuild the Guild name and reputation along with the great guitars they have been, at times, throughout the years.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

I’m planning a D-55 for my 50th birthday gift to myself (in 4 years if you’re asking) so I’m hopeful the company goes from strength to strength.

I don’t see any reason why it would not.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-06-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
I’m planning a D-55 for my 50th birthday gift to myself (in 4 years if you’re asking) so I’m hopeful the company goes from strength to strength.

I have a D-50 — the structurally identical abalone-free version of the D-55.

I've had a Martin-35 and a Martin D-28, and the D-50 blows them both out of the water. Prepare to be amazed.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:45 AM

The people who don't think Guild needed new life breathed into them are not privy to the internal financial reporting and circumstances.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-07-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post

You're going to love it! I have a Tacoma built D55 which is sublime. If you're planning on buying a new one I suspect it will be outstanding. Played a new D40 traditional which blew my socks off!
Old 05-07-2024, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
The people who don't think Guild needed new life breathed into them are not privy to the internal financial reporting and circumstances.
If you are privy, please point us to that information.

I've seen no change since the sale. Guild builds good guitars of all kinds. Oxnard gets great reviews. Yamaha might just have the good sense to leave well enough alone. I would like more Guild dealers though.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-07-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
If you are privy, please point us to that information.

I've seen no change since the sale. Guild builds good guitars of all kinds. Oxnard gets great reviews. Yamaha might just have the good sense to leave well enough alone. I would like more Guild dealers though.
I will say that the QC on their Chinese-made models was sometimes very hit-or-miss. Hopefully Yamaha improves that aspect of Guild's production. As far as their American-made models, you really don't need to do anything. Those are incredible generally.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:11 PM

I love Guild and have owned three of them with another two passing through. Still have an F-30 and D-40, both from the New Hartford era, which I consider to be a high mark.

But the guitars now are great also. The D-40 Traditional compares well to the Martin D-18s, although they are not a 1:1 comparison since they will not sound alike. They aren't supposed to.

The D-40 Standard is also priced well and would be a great guitar, but on that one you have the African mahogany and not I guess "real" mahogany, but I would imagine it would sound great.

I had an M-20 and thought it was fantastic.

There are some gaps in the lineup, the F-30 is missing, so is the F-20/M-40 or whatever you want to call that.

Of course the import lines cover pretty much all bases.

Huge fan of Guild.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion