The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
There's a lot of praise for the Japanese Sigma's here and it's justifiable for the most part, they were nice guitars. The only thing I'd worry about is how the neck is situated. Check it thoroughly to make sure it's not a candidate for a reset. After all, it's pushing 40 years old.
See my signature- I own a DR9 I purchased in 1977.
Sigma's were put together with epoxy glue back in those days- which means a neck reset (which is very likely on this guitar) is going to be a bear to do and ultimately quite costly.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM

I had a MIJ Sigma in the late 70s that I bought new, paid $300.00 for it. I sold it about 10 years later for $400.00, but nevertheless have regretted selling it ever since.

I don't remember the model number, but this was an ALL SOLID, spruce top, flamed maple b&s, flamed maple headstock overlay, herringbone purfling, faux tortoise binding on the neck, headstock and front & back on the body, slotted diamond and snowflake position dots. This also had the Martin-style diamond volute under the headstock, which I really like. It had a very bright and focused tone with a lot of mid punch that was very easy to record well and didn't compress or get in its own way no matter how aggressively it was played.

Just a gorgeous guitar, and one of the best playing and best recording axes I've ever played. Excuse me while I go kick myself again...
Old 04-22-2024, 02:40 PM

Hello! I have a Sigma with strange model number like KDM1, made in Korea. Can anyone help me to identify this guitar?
Old 04-22-2024, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

My son still plays my old 1990 MIJ Sigma DM-18. I gave it to him at least a decade ago. I think it still sounds good at nearly 35 years old. He used it recently on some tracks that his band was recording.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
My son still plays my old 1990 MIJ Sigma DM-18. I gave it to him at least a decade ago. I think it still sounds good at nearly 35 years old. He used it recently on some tracks that his band was recording.
It must be a Korea model, i believe they stopped production in Japan around 1985, then Korea. I have a 91 Korea Sigma HD28 clone that sounds and plays great.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
It must be a Korea model, i believe they stopped production in Japan around 1985, then Korea. I have a 91 Korea Sigma HD28 clone that sounds and plays great.
Nope - made in Japan. It may have been in my buddy’s store for a while when I bought it. I purchased it in 1990.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Nope - made in Japan. It may have been in my buddy’s store for a while when I bought it. I purchased it in 1990.
Yes, you purchased it in 90, but it must be from before 85 then, maybe the serial number can tell you the exact year.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Yes, you purchased it in 90, but it must be from before 85 then, maybe the serial number can tell you the exact year.
I’ll have to get my son to take a picture of the serial # and the center brace that has the Martin stamp on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion