The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Advice: Road Trip: Loosening Strings

Hi All,
I'm just looking for an opinion on this. I'll be taking a road trip this week and will be taking my guitar (Yamaha FG800) with me. The first day the guitar will be in the car for about 9 hrs. while I attend a training seminar and I can't get to my hotel until after that. This is in southern California. Should I loosen the strings at all or just leave things as is? The guitar will be in a nice protective gig bag and covered by a blanket also. Not really sure why I'm thinking about this. Any advice appreciated.

Don
Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM

How hot could it get in the car? I'd say loosen the strings, it won't hurt anything, but a couple of hours at 120°F with string tension could cause serious damage. Probably not a problem this time of year, but we've had some unseasonably warm weather the last couple of weeks.
et al
Old 02-21-2017, 04:22 PM

I agree with Rodger - the heat it'll be subjected to is the real source of concern. Make sure that all the windows are open an inch or so, and try to park in the shade.

whm
Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Dunno where you'll be in SoCal but the forecast this week in LA is just highs in the 60s...so don't park in direct sunlight and you should be fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion