The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
For years now I've made several round trips/yr between San Francisco and London Heathrow, always on United Airlines. I've always taken a high end dread with me.

Sometimes I got my guitar onboard, sometimes gate checked, and twice checked with regular baggage. Never had a single problem.

My guitars live/travel in Hiscox Pro II cases.
Would you say it's been allowed onboard more since the "United Breaks Guitars" video about a decade ago?

Having a good case, like you do, is the best one can do. Flashing paperwork and the like isn't going to make checked bag fees disappear; folks are going to max out their carry-on limit -- even try to exceed it, as others have mentioned. And of course, when flying abroad like you do, those DOT guidelines don't apply anyway.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:06 AM

30 odd years of regular worldwide flying and I've always checked-in my guitar with the rest of my luggage and never had any damage. For most of that period I've used a Hiscox Pro II case. The only precaution I take is to slacken off the strings - if I remember.

The big advantage is that you don't have to lug it around with you. The disadvantage - and it's not insignificant - is that heart-stopping moment of terror when (occasionally) it doesn't appear on the carousel at the other end. That's a real pain.
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1

Last edited by TBone-Idle; 02-02-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Family-friendly language
Old 02-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone-Idle View Post
..... The disadvantage is that heart-stopping moment of terror- ... - when (occasionally) it doesn't appear on the carousel at the other end. That's a real suspense.
love it. Just that minor, heart-stopping moment......
Old 02-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

When I checked a Martin 15 to Italy it wasn't on the carousel when all the bags were offloaded. Of course I was concerned but one of the support staff informed me the larger sized items were located at the end of the baggage claim area. Sure enough...there sat my guitar along with several baby seat/carriers that had been flown over as well. It survived the flight (both ways) just fine.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 AM

"Carriers must allow passengers to stow their small musical instruments in an approved stowage area..."

I'd think that's pretty much a deal-breaker right there, if an airline rep really wants to keep your guitar off the plane. On the scale of musical instruments, there are certainly ones larger than guitars, but I'd never call anything close to a normal-sized guitar "small." Definitely subject to interpretation -- and theirs will matter more than yours or mine, for sure...

Crap-shoot, indeed!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I invested in a smaller CF guitar (Rainsong) with a sturdy travel case so if overhead or closet space is not available, gate check is not traumatic. Never had any issues.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have never once been able to bring my guitar on board a flight - even a small travel guitar. The times I fly, the flight is always booked to capacity (usually overbooked) and I gate check my guitar and it gets put in with the strollers. I give it to them on the jet way and I pick it up from them on the jet way. I always pack the guitar per suggested protocol and always have it in a hard shell case and a case cover. So far so good.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
"Carriers must allow passengers to stow their small musical instruments in an approved stowage area..."
I think by small they mean violins and mandolins - I have seen folks carry those on and store them in the overhead bins or under their seat without a problem.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Default "United Breaks Guitars" video

I just listened to the great video "United Breaks Guitars". So funny! I don't know how I missed it the first time it came out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion