The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Flying with a Guitar - A tale of woe

Today I was boarding for another flight for work.
Plane was a 737, full flight.

Coming down the jet bridge you can start to hear some rather boisterous communication. As I get closer it is a man with a guitar in a hardshell case, essentially arguing with the handlers and flight crew- across the plane entrance - that his guitar CAN and SHALL be allowed on the plane as per regulations (he also had a copy of the revised regulations in hand).

Needless to say when the door to the aircraft closed he was not aboard.

Be prepared.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Which airline?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Here is a quote from U.S. DoT website. It says a musical instrument can be stowed if space is available and that they are not required to give musical instruments priority over other carry-on baggage. So if space was not available (full flight) then the airline was acting properly by refusing to allow the guitar in the cabin. It sounds like the guitar guy had a misplaced feeling of entitlement.

"Carriers must allow passengers to stow their small musical instruments in an approved stowage area in the cabin if at the time the passenger boards the aircraft such stowage space is available. Under the rule, musical instruments as carry-on items are treated no differently from other carry-on items and the stowage space should be made available for all carry-on items on a “first come, first served” basis. Carriers are not required to give musical instruments priority over other carry-on baggage, therefore passengers traveling with musical instruments may want to buy the pre-boarding option offered by many carriers to ensure that space will be available for them to safely stow their instruments in the cabin. "
Old 02-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I rarely fly with more than my all laminate Voyage-Air VA02 so if it's a commuter flight (which a lot of ours are getting to Atlanta or Charlotte) I'm used to it being gate checked. The bigger planes I always put it in the overhead. Not an issue either way? I once took my Martin 15 series to Italy but I checked it.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 PM

I've never had a problem but a lot has to do with how you approach them. I'm always very humble and ask nicely if they wouldn't mind putting it in the garment closet. Almost every time they have. However I always travel with a gig bag, not a hard case. That seems less obtrustive to them I guess.

Not sure I would do it with my higher end guitars but with my sub 1K guitars I have no issue.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
Today I was boarding for another flight for work.
Plane was a 737, full flight.

Coming down the jet bridge you can start to hear some rather boisterous communication. As I get closer it is a man with a guitar in a hardshell case, essentially arguing with the handlers and flight crew- across the plane entrance - that his guitar CAN and SHALL be allowed on the plane as per regulations (he also had a copy of the revised regulations in hand).

Needless to say when the door to the aircraft closed he was not aboard.

Be prepared.
Flew with my D-28 to Freeport, Bahamas two years ago in April. Delta put it in the garment closet from Pittsburgh to Atlanta but Bahamasair used a smaller plane from Atlanta to Freeport and they had to put it in baggage. It was cold to the touch when I got it out of the case on the tarmac in Freeport. It survived, but had to have the truss rod tweaked and a fret tapped back down after I got home. Taking a folding guitar or a laminate that won't be so affected next time.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 02-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Arguing will get you everywhere, except where you'd probably like to go.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Successful air travel with guitar requires one part right-sized instrument (matched to your risk tolerance), one part early boarding mechanism (status or purchased perk), and two parts friendly, "grateful for your consideration" attitude towards the airline staff. Bonus points for flying guitar-friendly Southwest.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:28 PM

I just spent 3.5 weeks flying all around America. Hawaii, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, Boston, New York and back down under.

Took my Journey OF660 and used it as my carry on baggage. It was scanned and never was I asked by TSA to open the bag. And it means I got to play it during those endless waits in the departure lounge.

Very happy with it for travel.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
..Coming down the jet bridge you can start to hear some rather boisterous communication. .... across the plane entrance - that his guitar CAN and SHALL be allowed on the plane as per regulations (he also had a copy of the revised regulations in hand).
I believe that you, many times, get what you give........And he didn't know the regulation.

Quote:
.. prepared.
I'm always prepared. If it gets on, it's a good flight. If not, then.....it's their plane.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:58 PM

Don't worry. In the spring United will start charging for carry on luggage and there will be plenty of room for our guitars... for a fee.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 PM

For years now I've made several round trips/yr between San Francisco and London Heathrow, always on United Airlines. I've always taken a high end dread with me.

Sometimes I got my guitar onboard, sometimes gate checked, and twice checked with regular baggage. Never had a single problem.

My guitars live/travel in Hiscox Pro II cases.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:18 AM

The flight crew has the final say on whether a guitar comes aboard or not. Period.

And the second you start arguing with the flight crew, you lose.

This guy was an idiot.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:06 AM

I travel with either of my VoyageAir models (an 02 and 06), or a recently acquired Journey Overhead.

Everyone should read flaggerphil's comments before they leave for the airport with a guitar.
Frankly, I am very glad that flight crews are not intimidated by anyone for any reason.
They have my utmost respect, support and compliance.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Had a rather heated conversation with a guy gate attendant on a Jet Blue flight from Boston to FLL two weeks ago. The guitar in question was a 000 size in a padded gig bag. He was pretty much demanding EVERYONE with a carry-on larger than a back pack gate check their bags. A woman supervisor stepped in after I quoted the law and informed the man of the law, and stated that no, they weren't demanding that I gate check it (which man WAS) but they were only "offering me the opportunity" to gate check it. I took it on board. As I was in the last row of the plane I was one of the first on in the general boarding group so I managed to find overhead space. Behind me was a guy with a 12-string in a large hard shell case. I don't know if he made it on. The bottom line is that in spite of the new law it is a crap shoot. I have a Hiscox Lite that I will check on my next flight down in April (with a better guitar) as I did last year without problems. I doubt I'll try to carry on again as it is just not worth the possibility of a similar confrontation as I had a couple weeks ago. At the same time, it totally burns my @ss that MANY people go right on with huge, overstuffed carry-ons PLUS an over stuffed back pack, which there is no way will "fit under the seat in front of you" as per the airlines regulations, and they get away with no questions asked. I have seen it many, many times as I travel a lot. In spite of the relatively new law, it is a crap shoot at best. FWIW, I did try a Travel Aire guitar a couple years ago and it did NOT fit in the overhead on a smaller connecting flight and had to be gate checked. That, plus the fact that the guitar sounded pretty lousy made me return that one to the place where purchased when I returned from that trip. I guess you just have to decide how much you want/need a guitar on a particular trip.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion