The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Yes, Another Taylor Grand Auditorium

I'm sure that some of you with multiple guitars will probably think I'm nuts for garnering multiple models from the same manufacturer and the same body shape to boot. But heck, I know what I like and my four Grand Auditoriums make it easy to switch back and forth between guitars while still offering a modicum of variety. Today's acquisition is actually a(nother) reacquisition of a Taylor 414. I'd previously owned a Taylor GA4 (=414) which had the satin ovangkol back and sides (which I prefer), and it was on my list of those I wish I hadn't sold. With rosewood creeping into the 4XX breeding stock and the question about the disappearance of ovangkol from the lineup, I decided to look for a used 414/GA4 because the new ones have glossy back and sides.

I looked on Ebay, Reverb, and Craigslist(s) until my internet search for a used 414/GA4 led me to Washington Music Center, which PRS fans may recognize as Paul's first employer as a service tech way back when. At WMC I found what I thought to be a used 2013 414, but it turned out to be a NOS model. Unfortunately, it also turned out to be sold, but the good news was they had another. The other good news was I got a great deal comparable to the prices of some of the used ones I saw online. Thanks to the relatively short distance between Wheaton, MD and my home, it ended up being an overnight shipment which I received this morning after sealing the deal yesterday around 3:30 pm. It's a dandy guitar, and clicked off all the right boxes for me. Cudos to the folks at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-01-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Nothing wrong with staying with what you really like, RP. I have three different Taylor GA's myself - a 354 LTD maple 12 string, an ovangkol / spruce 414, and a 424LTD all-koa. I have seriously considered a pre-Andy 814 too and a post-Andy revoiced 614. Along the way an all mahogany 524 nearly followed me home, as well as a K24 in all koa.

What originally got me into Taylor was a rosewood / cedar 714 around 2000, but they quit making that combo by the time I could actually afford one. The GA body is "just right". I can dig in and get plenty of flat-picked volume, it has nicely balanced tone for finger picking, and it is comfortable to hold.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

So, WHAT'S the problem??
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 02-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm sure that some of you with multiple guitars will probably think I'm nuts for garnering multiple models from the same manufacturer and the same body shape to boot. But heck, I know what I like and my four Grand Auditoriums make it easy to switch back and forth between guitars while still offering a modicum of variety.
Why would you apologize or make excuses for your preference in manufacturer or body type? You like what you like. Rock on completely.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

RP....you like what you like, thats all that matters. If we all liked the same thing there would be only one model guitar from one manufacturer available.

I really like the Taylor GA's as well. So comfortable and the Taylor playability.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion