The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Delay unit for doing a acoustic solo gig

I'm looking to get some input as far as a delay stomp/floor unit. I must've looked through 100 pedals of all sizes, shapes features, etc., till my head is spinning. Is there anyone out there that has had (practical use, and knowledge of the features that are useful)? Not just an extra bell or whistle, features that will apply to the gig that I'm doing with tasteful application?

So far I've narrowed it down to a used Walrus Bellwether (maybe more than what I need, but in the same price range as lesser units), that can be gotten for a REALLY GOOD deal, and a couple more that are bare bones, but very utilitarian, that may be more suited for my gig. Can anyone weigh in?

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 AM

I have used a Boss DD7 which offers a lot of features including 40 seconds of looping. Look at one here:
http://www.bestguitareffects.com/bos...l-delay-pedal/

PM me if you're interested

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 AM

I've got an older Ibanez DE7 delay/echo pedal that I like a lot. Very basic but does the job admirably. I also have a Zoom A3 that has so many features that I won't go into it here but it has tons of delay types that you can mess around with until you thoroughly confuse yourself as to which one your prefer. Good luck with your quest.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrummed View Post
I've got an older Ibanez DE7 delay/echo pedal that I like a lot. Very basic but does the job admirably. I also have a Zoom A3 that has so many features that I won't go into it here but it has tons of delay types that you can mess around with until you thoroughly confuse yourself as to which one your prefer. Good luck with your quest.
The Zoom A3 is an awesome little device. Got one of those as well.
I found that at the end of the day, you don't really use 90% of what any of these boxes can do including the Boss which has a lot.
The biggest advantage with the digital stuff is the programmable aspect of it.
I ended up using some delay and reverb with the Boss and that was about it. A lot depends on how crazy you want to get with your effects. In acoustic playing, for me and a lot of folks, less is more. I don't need it anymore because my little Yamaha mixer has all that stuff. We also use Fishman amps sometimes and they have all of that as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon53 View Post
I'm looking to get some input as far as a delay stomp/floor unit. I must've looked through 100 pedals of all sizes, shapes features, etc., till my head is spinning. Is there anyone out there that has had (practical use, and knowledge of the features that are useful)? Not just an extra bell or whistle, features that will apply to the gig that I'm doing with tasteful application?

So far I've narrowed it down to a used Walrus Bellwether (maybe more than what I need, but in the same price range as lesser units), that can be gotten for a REALLY GOOD deal, and a couple more that are bare bones, but very utilitarian, that may be more suited for my gig. Can anyone weigh in?

Thanks
Jimmy
One other thing to consider (especially if your gig involves singing) - the Play Acoustic. It can do several types of delay as well as a lot of other stuff (reverb, BodyRez) and also has vocal processing as well. It's not as convenient as a dedicated delay box with knobs, but if you can set up your presets ahead of time, it's very nice.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Depends on what you are after. I would think most acoustic players aren't looking for ambient infinite loops so something like a Boss pedal would easily cover it. I think you can pretty much get anything and find a setting you like. I've had the same Boss DD2 for 25 years. Analog pedals might sound a bit more natural with an acoustic guitar.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I have used a Boss DD7 which offers a lot of features including 40 seconds of looping. Look at one here:
http://www.bestguitareffects.com/bos...l-delay-pedal/

PM me if you're interested
+1 the DD7.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
One other thing to consider (especially if your gig involves singing) - the Play Acoustic. It can do several types of delay as well as a lot of other stuff (reverb, BodyRez) and also has vocal processing as well. It's not as convenient as a dedicated delay box with knobs, but if you can set up your presets ahead of time, it's very nice.

And once again, it really depends on your personal goals.
Vocal effects are cool, but they won't take the place of talent or a raw
performance. These tools provide flexibility if you feel the need and there is nothing wrong with that. Most of the time, the listening audience could care.
It's more about what you want.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
And once again, it really depends on your personal goals.
Vocal effects are cool, but they won't take the place of talent or a raw
performance. These tools provide flexibility if you feel the need and there is nothing wrong with that. Most of the time, the listening audience could care.
It's more about what you want.
I agree - you could say that about *anything* - it depends on what your goals are. Sometimes a touch of reverb or chorus on the voice sounds nice. I like the all-in-one concept, as it's simple.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:34 AM

While the Boss DD7 is a good choice and I considered it when choosing a delay, I went for the TC Electronics Flashback. It too has a looper feature. It operates a bit differently than the Boss delay and the way you interface with it may make the difference. I'm not sure how they compare in price any longer.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM

That's a great pedal as well. The Boss allows for more "fine-tuning" if that's important. It requires a more patience as well. They have great videos showing all of that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
While the Boss DD7 is a good choice and I considered it when choosing a delay, I went for the TC Electronics Flashback. It too has a looper feature. It operates a bit differently than the Boss delay and the way you interface with it may make the difference. I'm not sure how they compare in price any longer.
Wow! I'm happy with my DD7, but if I had been aware of this Flashback I'd likely have gotten it....still may. The Flashback is only about $20 more at Sweetwater, but from the photo it has pingpong delay. I had been looking for pingpong but couldn't find it in a unit/brand or price I liked. That's one feature I'm missing on the DD7.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM

I like the Strymon pedals. Tons of delay and chorus options.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion