The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Larrivee necks

Hi All -

Can anyone tell me if the necks on larrivee guitars are all the same?

I tried an OM-03 A few weeks ago that I was kicking my self for not buying.. I love the way the guitar played and sounded. Went back to buy it and it was gone..

I came across the om-40r online that sounded interesting with rosewood and the hybrid bracing - so I ordered it. The guitar sounds completely amazing but the neck does not feel the way I remember the om-03 feeling... It feels bigger to me and a bit more difficult to stretch for some chords mainly in the 7thfret and higher.

I ended up putting this guitar up for sale, but I am really trying to get used to it! It really sounds stellar, especially for the price paid.. Im wondering if I should buy an om-03, but if the necks are the same I wont bother at this point..
Old 02-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a number of Larrivees and their necks were all the same, save for width. Measure the nut to see if you ended up with some sort of custom with a wide neck, but I think you'll find it's the same as the other you tried.
The OM40r is extremely popular. Stick with it and I'm sure the effort will pay off.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 AM

The California-made Larrivee's have a slightly bulkier neck profile than the Canadian-made Larrivee OM-03W I own. Maybe that's what you encountered.

whm
Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Possible... NOt sure where the previous was made.. Now that i think about it though - The om-o3 I did try was a limited run though.. I wonder if the neck may have been different on it..

The selections of larrivee in my area is pretty bad... closet dealer to me only has a few models at a time..
Old 02-01-2017, 01:06 PM

My only experience with Larrivee guitars is the dreadnought model. The nut width is supposed to be 1 11/16" compared to 1 3/4" for the OM model.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

All Larrivée models have the same consistent neck profile. This was standardized around 1997 and has remained the same since. Nut width will always affect the profile of course as "Bowie" mentioned. It is extremely rare for us to accept a custom neck profile order.

Larrivée
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM

As the Voice of Larrivee said, all necks are CNC machined and should be identical.

Early OM-03 and L-03 instruments had 1 11/16" dreadnought necks instead of the now standard 1 3/4" necks. So it is possible that if the OM-03 you played was a late 90's model that the neck would be narrower.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I saw your OM-40R for sale, those are really nice guitars btw.

If you really like the sound, but need the neck shaped a little different(and this is important)-and you know how you would like the neck reshaped, its not difficult to remove just a little(usually from the sides or remove a little of the depth) and there you go. Of course, that may effect resale.

We do this all the time with mandolins. You will end up with a "speedneck" and I love how they feel. Do it with banjos also. The neck can be left bare wood and feel really slick and smooth, or you can refinish.

Its a definite plan to know exactly where the truss rod lays-its not so important if you are removing from the sides, but from the bottom, yes, know where the TR is. If you have a friend that works in an xray department, they can do one view from the side and show the TR exactly. If you don't know someone, check out your local hospital radiology-best to check night shift or weekends, and they might swing it for you-buy'm a pizza, take the guitar, it won't take 2 minutes to do this.

below check out this Collings mandolin neck I xrayed for TR placement

Just some thoughts
d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07569.jpg (4.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrivée Guitars View Post
All Larrivée models have the same consistent neck profile. This was standardized around 1997 and has remained the same since. Nut width will always affect the profile of course as "Bowie" mentioned. It is extremely rare for us to accept a custom neck profile order.

Larrivée
I must be me or I simply can't explain it. I played my first larrivee (parlor) and really liked the way it felt so much that I ordered a L-03R. The neck felt thick right off the bat. I gave it a try for a few weeks but couldn't take to it. I would like to give them an AB someday at the dealer.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 PM

Wow - Thanks! Straight from the source! Thanks for all the replies!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
I must be me or I simply can't explain it. I played my first larrivee (parlor) and really liked the way it felt so much that I ordered a L-03R. The neck felt thick right off the bat. I gave it a try for a few weeks but couldn't take to it. I would like to give them an AB someday at the dealer.
Perhaps the addl string tension, from the difference in scale, made it feel as if the neck was tougher to play?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
I saw your OM-40R for sale, those are really nice guitars btw.

If you really like the sound, but need the neck shaped a little different(and this is important)-and you know how you would like the neck reshaped, its not difficult to remove just a little(usually from the sides or remove a little of the depth) and there you go. Of course, that may effect resale.

We do this all the time with mandolins. You will end up with a "speedneck" and I love how they feel. Do it with banjos also. The neck can be left bare wood and feel really slick and smooth, or you can refinish.

Its a definite plan to know exactly where the truss rod lays-its not so important if you are removing from the sides, but from the bottom, yes, know where the TR is. If you have a friend that works in an xray department, they can do one view from the side and show the TR exactly. If you don't know someone, check out your local hospital radiology-best to check night shift or weekends, and they might swing it for you-buy'm a pizza, take the guitar, it won't take 2 minutes to do this.

below check out this Collings mandolin neck I xrayed for TR placement

Just some thoughts
d

Thansk for the suggestion - something to consider... Id be too scared to do that though... My guitar would probably talk me out of too...
Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 PM

I have four Larrivees, not counting the late-70s L09 with the 1 11/16", and I think it's psychological. They all are the same neck carve but feel different from the gloss 00-09 to the satin J03. Sometimes the hand lies to you.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:14 PM

I have a P-01 Walnut and a friend has a P-01 Maple. We played them, found both wonderful, but the necks are quite different - his is larger and rounder. Nut width is the same....

They're not that many serial numbers apart, either - something like two or three hundred as I recall.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:20 AM

I bought a new L-03 about 8 years ago but traded it for an OM-03. Although nut width was the same, the L-03 had a chunkier, fatter neck.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion