The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveCorduroy View Post

With all that said, what has been the most successful for you and what do you like and dislike about the methods you have used?

Thanks, George
I never had luck with school or the education system for that matter.
Doesn't work for me.
So I draw my own path, for better or worse.
50 years ago, you put the needle on the record, memorized 10 seconds, tried to find a way to reproduce the sound on your guitar. You would repeat the process until you heard something vaguely pleasing. At that moment you would go outside, find somebody else playing the guitar, show what you just learned, and learn from the guy too if he had something new.
After a while you were playing in a band, 10 years later you were owner of the studio, and 20 years later you were burned out.
So you quit.

The real difference between then and now :
- then, you had one record (well, 3 or 5, ok), so you had to go deep.
- now, you have immediate access to all the music you would want and then some, all the lessons, all the knowledge, so you go from one to another *in the hope* that finally you'll find *the* great whatever you're looking for.

And you never find it because what you need is plow deep inside yourself.

I'm grateful for all that knowledge we have at our fingertips.
But now you need the auto-discipline of a monk to progress.
Then, you had no choice, and I find it easier.
Or maybe I'm going old. So get off my lawn.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveCorduroy View Post
This has been great feedback for me...thank you. Aside from a lot of the comments recommending that I look into getting an instructor to help me, a lot of the comments centered around me figuring out what direction I want to go and setting goals based on that. This has helped, so here goes:

At this point, I can play my open chords (maj, min, dom7, and sus2/sus4) and I am able to make the changes between them all fairly well. I can play my barre chords(E-shape and A-shape, maj and min) and I can make those changes fairly well also. Recently, I started looking at triads(maj and min) on the highest four strings and can make them but the changes are rather slow, clean but slow. Lastly, I understand how the major scale works with chord progressions (I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii) and the possible variations.

My long term goal would be to play rhythm guitar or accompanying myself or something else singing. Not so much in a full out band setting but more like in a coffee shop or open mic. like setting.

To get there, I think my short term goals would be as such:
1. Continue to strengthen straight chord progressions using open chords and barre chords.
2. Improve my strumming with more accuracy and variation.
3. Learn dynamics and how to apply them to chord progressions.
4. Learn single note picking and chord embellishments to add character and flavor to straight chord progressions.
5. Learn passing chords
6. Continue to work on triads so I can add different voicings to chord progressions.

I can find a lot of lessons on chords, progressions, and strumming so I know how to get there. Where I find the biggest struggles is finding lessons on dynamics and chord embellishments. There just doesn't seem to be very many or I am just looking in the wrong places. This frustrates me and the harder I look the more overwhelmed I get with all the material out there. Quite simply, it paralyzed me.

Again, thank you for all of your comments. I have never put in writing what it is I am trying to do. It really has helped.

Thanks, George
Continue to practice what you are doing until it becomes second nature. (Do it sitting in front of the TV if you have to as most of this stuff is repetition). At the same time, get the know the makeup of your guitar fret board (where each note is which is not that difficult as you will begin to realise there are patterns across the board) and take in some music theory. (Understanding the makeup and relationships between chords, scales and notes will free you up to play and improvise).

That's probably enough to keep you busy for a while and good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion