The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Need advice for my Guild

I have a 1978 Guild Jumbo F-50 Bld that is about to go under the knife for some guitar work - fret replacement and set-up. The question was posed to me if I wanted to stay with the same fret width or try something a little narrower. When I asked him what the difference was, he gave me a technical explanation that sounded in layman's terms like there would be subtle tonal differences and not so much a difference in the action or playability. I could use some feedback from the wealth of knowledge on this forum before I proceed ahead. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:38 PM

I'm no expert but I LOVE the wide flat original frets on the D-55 I bought new in 1977.

Maybe it's psychological but it seems easier to play because of them, more like the neck of an electric guitar.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:41 PM

If you like the way it feels now, then tell the luthier to " Put in what it has now. "
I have no idea what frets are in ANY of my guitars. It must not matter than much to me. Electric or Acoustic.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I'm no expert but I LOVE the wide flat original frets on the D-55 I bought new in 1977.

Maybe it's psychological but it seems easier to play because of them, more like the neck of an electric guitar.
This is my answer.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I would just add that my 1979 F512 Guild 12 string was re-fretted recently for the first time. When looking for a choice in jumbo fretwire... I originally wanted to use the gold EVO fretwire. But the luthier said he couldn't get it in that size so In the end I stayed with the same size wire in standard material.. and am very happy I did. I am assuming that the jumbo fret wire was part of the reason that the frets lasted as long as they did.... just my assumption. If yours has the same size I would consider sticking with that.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-in-bako View Post
I have a 1978 Guild Jumbo F-50 Bld that is about to go under the knife for some guitar work - fret replacement and set-up. The question was posed to me if I wanted to stay with the same fret width or try something a little narrower. When I asked him what the difference was, he gave me a technical explanation that sounded in layman's terms like there would be subtle tonal differences and not so much a difference in the action or playability. I could use some feedback from the wealth of knowledge on this forum before I proceed ahead. Thanks.
I have fairly wide fretwire in my Angus F-40 (built off the template of a Guild F-40), and I have thinner wire on my newer Goodall Grand Concert.

I find the fatter wire to be a bit easier to play and a bit more "forgiving' when I'm slightly off with my fretting fingers... I favor the fatter wire, personally, even though I LOVE my little Goodall!

If you love what's in there, then don't change it for a different size fretwire. But ONE THING I will heartily recommend is to have your tech use EVO fretwire! It's a tad more expensive, but the stuff wears like iron - I've had my Goodall (w/ Evo Gold) since 2011, have played it a lot... and there isn't even the beginning of wear, not even on the second or third frets on the B string!

You may pay slightly more for the EVO stuff, but it is well worth it!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion