The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM

Default Alvarez, Ibanez, Seagull...oh my.

Hey all... back from a short medical hiatus.

Been searching for quite a while now for a #1 git for my stable (which is pretty bare, so that's not saying much). Right now my top git is a Taylor 214ce. I like it a lot for what it is, but it doesn't have the specs I'm looking for. Already found a buyer for it. That said, I also have an Ibanez Artwood 240e hogtop which does. Fingerpicks like butter. Ultra warm (almost too warm). But as much as I love the playability, it's a $400 guitar. I want basically the same guitar (a touch less warm), but far better quality. $1K-2K range. Short scale, 1.75 nut, hog or cedar or similar, OM/000 body, electronics, cutaway preferable. You would think that's easy to find stock in the top manufacturers. Nope. Taylor is close with the 322ce, but the upper bout is too narrow to be considered an OM/000 equivalent in my view. Martin doesn't really have much with those specs until you get well over 2K. I've looked into special ordering a Taylor 324ce with the 1.75 nut, short scale. I can do it within my price range, but I HATE the idea of ordering something sight unseen/unplayed, that would be non-returnable. If I order a stock guitar from GC/MF, etc. I can return it for full refund if I'm not happy.

For stock guitars that come close to my specs, I've found the Alvarez MFA66CESHB. It has all the specs...but for some reason there are no Youtube reviews on this guitar? And it's been out for a while. That's a big red flag for me. Plus, my local shop no longer carries Alvarez acoustics (or Ibanez for that matter) in stock because of initial quality issues. (FYI, I ordered my 240 from them and had to have several frets fixed when I had it set up initially.) Anyone own this Alvarez? Have a vid of it? A review? Know why the info on it is so limited?

Ibanez has changed their catalog for 2017 and offers a few more gits with the beloved 45mm/1.75+ nut width, short scale. With these, I'd be afraid I'm just getting a different version of the same thing I have, no better quality.

Seagull has an Artist Mosaic Folk Cedar that also fits the bill (1.8" nut), but again, there isn't a lot of information or reviews on this guitar either. A couple of vids, but nothing helpful. Another local shop carries Seagulls, but not this model. Only some of the lesser models, and I was not blown away with the quality/tone of those.

I suppose one option is to order all 3 from GC, play them, and keep one if one happens to speak to me. Otherwise I can return them all. That sounds really painful.

Any suggestions?
2009 Ibanez AS73B w/Piezo
Old 01-31-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmay View Post

Been searching for quite a while now for a #1 git for my stable (which is pretty bare, so that's not saying much). Right now my top git is a Taylor 214ce. I like it a lot for what it is, but it doesn't have the specs I'm looking for. Already found a buyer for it. That said, I also have an Ibanez Artwood 240e hogtop which does. Fingerpicks like butter. Ultra warm (almost too warm). But as much as I love the playability, it's a $400 guitar. I want basically the same guitar (a touch less warm), but far better quality. $1K-2K range. Short scale, 1.75 nut, hog or cedar or similar, OM/000 body, electronics, cutaway preferable. You would think that's easy to find stock in the top manufacturers. Nope. Taylor is close with the 322ce, but the upper bout is too narrow to be considered an OM/000 equivalent in my view. Martin doesn't really have much with those specs until you get well over 2K. I've looked into special ordering a Taylor 324ce with the 1.75 nut, short scale. I can do it within my price range, but I HATE the idea of ordering something sight unseen/unplayed, that would be non-returnable. If I order a stock guitar from GC/MF, etc. I can return it for full refund if I'm not happy.

For stock guitars that come close to my specs, I've found the Alvarez MFA66CESHB. It has all the specs...but for some reason there are no Youtube reviews on this guitar? And it's been out for a while. That's a big red flag for me. Plus, my local shop no longer carries Alvarez acoustics (or Ibanez for that matter) in stock because of initial quality issues. (FYI, I ordered my 240 from them and had to have several frets fixed when I had it set up initially.) Anyone own this Alvarez? Have a vid of it? A review? Know why the info on it is so limited?

Ibanez has changed their catalog for 2017 and offers a few more gits with the beloved 45mm/1.75+ nut width, short scale. With these, I'd be afraid I'm just getting a different version of the same thing I have, no better quality.

Seagull has an Artist Mosaic Folk Cedar that also fits the bill (1.8" nut), but again, there isn't a lot of information or reviews on this guitar either. A couple of vids, but nothing helpful. Another local shop carries Seagulls, but not this model. Only some of the lesser models, and I was not blown away with the quality/tone of those.

I suppose one option is to order all 3 from GC, play them, and keep one if one happens to speak to me. Otherwise I can return them all. That sounds really painful.

Any suggestions?
Taylor 322ce, all boxes ticked. 12 fret, even better.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-31-2017, 08:49 AM

Just bought one. Returned it. Had to fight to keep it positioned properly on my lap while playing through my set, cause the upper bout was far too narrow. If I used a strap, I would have kept it.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM

Hi jimmay - me again - we seem to have such similar preferences!

I also owned the Alvarez MFA66CESHB for a few short weeks (and the no electonics, non cutaway MFA66 for a few more short weeks). I love the way these masterworks guitars look, but couldn't quite adjust to 2 things: 1) the string spacing at the saddle is only 2 and 1/8th inches. I was able to widen it slightly by replacing the saddle and creating new string slots, but not enough to truly suit my tastes. 2) bigger issue - they just retained too much "brightness" for a hog. Objectively, it was a good punchy sound, but unlike the Ibanez hog tops, they just never warmed up, even with many string choices. I like warmth.

I have the Taylor 322ce 12-fret now and though I love it, I can agree that it's very small and needs to be worn with a strap for performance. I wouldn't want to use a capo on it either, so I totally get that it's out for you.

The Seagull is intriguing - IMO a completely different animal. I played one of these (the Artist Mosaic Folk with Quantum II electronics) in a local shop and was quite impressed, both by its looks and its sound/feel. If you are 80% or more finger style, this one is worth checking into further. However, although Seagull cedar tops are pressure treated and designed to handle a beating, there is no way around the fact that hog top (or even better spruce) will be better strummed and have a more immediate attack with more headroom.

Good luck on your continued search!
Martin OMC-18E
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 AM

Hey CT77!

Yeah...thanks for the info on the Alvarez. What little info I could find on the guitar (mostly here) said the same thing. I do not want a really bright guitar. Definitely want the warmer tone to match my vox/style. I think I've heard enough to veer away from this one.

If I can't find any other options, I may order the Gull and give it a whirl. I can always return it. But, that's like a month's effort. Wish there were some good video reviews on it.

I also wish some other manufacturers offered these specs. I'm heading down to my local shop to check out a new line (for them) a rep is bringing in. Faith guitars. Lots of good info on those and they look/sound pretty amazing on my monitor, but they use the standard 25.5 scale, 1-11/16nut for just about every git they make. UGh....
Old 01-31-2017, 12:52 PM

Since you are open to a cedar top, you might consider Pono. I have a 000 (now essentially their "C" body) that checks your boxes once the optional electronics are added. They have a few options, but if cedar is the top wood I think the only b/s option is acacia. They are moving toward custom orders on these (plenty of info if you search the forums), but you might check their stock and you do see them show up on AGF classifieds occasionally.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmay View Post

Any suggestions?
Gibson J-45 cutaway. The nut is slightly narrower, but not by much.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-31-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanks guys...will check the specs on both of those.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:10 PM

There's always a Eastman E20OMCE, that should have most your specs. OM/000 style body, 24.9 scale, Adirondack top, 1 3/4" width nut, electronics, cutaway.
It has Rosewood back & sides, and 2 5/32" saddle string spacing. All for under $1,300 new. And great tone.

Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 02-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Dan - Charter Member

The Taylor xx2 is relatively small and the Alvarez AP series even smaller (00). If you find it too small without a strap, try a NeckUp or other guitar support.

I like that size of guitar but when played horizontally the neck is too low for me. The guitar support brings the neck up nicely without slight awkwardness of having to use a strap.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:32 PM

Dhalbert.... Thanks for the info. I will definitely check that out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion