The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
Not sure I see why performance has to equate to personal character. If that were the case, Gary Oldman, Christopher Lee, Alan Rickman, etc. is/were some pretty bad people. No one believes he/they were, just because he/they played some bad apples on the big screen....
Actually from what I've heard most of the guys that play the bad guys are actually the nicest guys in real life.

To the OP, I think it depends on what you want to get out of your music. If you are wanting to make it big, you might need to better fit your image. If all you care about is playing in some small gigs, coffee shops, and what not then it doesn't matter at all.... just play what you want.

It's like the audition rounds for the show "The Voice," it is always funny when they turn around and are shocked about what the person looks like. They have certain expectations because of the voice, and it is funny when the person is completely different.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 PM

Let me say again, thank you for all the responses, second just want to let everyone know, I told my Mom I play guitar. She is happy for me
and wants me to bring my guitar over next time a play for her....

Thanks again,
Dennis
Old 02-01-2017, 08:43 PM

I can soooo relate to the OP, except I have the opposite problem, it seems. I sing and play songs about shotguns, whiskey and lose women in the Wild West, but my real persona is the exact opposite: I'm a science geek with two advanced degrees who studied Latin and Greek in middle school, is 5 foot 8 "tall," thoroughly unathletic and, to top it off, of German nationality. Need I say more?

I sometimes really struggle with this, especially when I attempt songs by guys like Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle or the like.

In my opinion, being the tough guy taking on the role of the sensitive, mellow guy is much more likely to come across as authentic than the other way around, so in that sense, I really envy the OP, and my advice would be to not worry about the "disconnect," as I feel there isn't much of one.

I dunno... what do people think?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
At one time, I scrapped all love songs from my repertoire.

It occurred to me that as a fat middle aged chap, singing love songs seemed inappropriate.

Then, one day at a bluegrass workshop, I was approached by a beautiful German woman who grabbed me (literally) and declared "I vant you to be in my bandt" (Scratch bands for the last night concert were encouraged - and my favourite part of the week).

She was big on Hank Williams songs and "vonted" me to sing in close harmony with her. I said that I'm too old and ugly to sing such songs any more.

A big strong smack of a kiss told me that I was mistaken. I did as bid.

I sing songs about being in prison (Ninety nine years) and other such experiences totally foreign to me, but a song is a story...any story ..and can be well told if told with empathy and commitment.
Hahaha, I saw this post after I posted mine. This made my day. Thanks for sharing. I guess ve Germuns should not vorry so much, huh?

(Just as a side note: I don't really talk with a strong German accent. In my first lesson with a vocal teacher, he looked at me, seemingly bewildered, and asked, "Do you realize you have a Southern drawl when you sing bluegrass songs?")

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion