The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvereagles View Post
looking from the outside I feel I always needed to be that rough and tough guy so to speak. I'm not but that is the image I feel I portray. When I play and sing I feel a lot of the stuff I like to play is on the softer side
I'm with you, I like the soft stuff too but if you're gigging in clubs, ya gotta do more.

I've often said that all performing is acting to some degree and interpreting songs is acting. The short cut is to be a method actor, i.e., gotta feel rage to portray rage, gotta feel sadness to portray it, etc. But that can wear you out in a hurry. The best way, IMO, is to learn to control the exterior. Learn what the outward manifestations of the emotions are for you and learn to turn them on and off at will.

Not easy, you do have to practice it. Just as playing the guitar does not automatically confer the ability to sing (although many seem to think so) it likewise does not confer acting ability. It too, must be honed and refined, just like your voice.

As with everything we do here, there are many instructive resources on the internet. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Try it in the key of G
It flat picks well in the key of G as well.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:52 AM

I'll sing any good song that I feel I can deliver.

I sing songs from a youthful perspective that are full of doubt and angst; I sing tough, libertarian songs that are courageous and provocative; I sing heartbroken, unrequited songs; I sing tenderhearted beautiful songs that take a female perspective; I sing hopeful, positive songs; I sing lay-your-heart-on-the-line songs full of dopey (or sincere) love declarations; I sing songs that celebrate or mourn the end of life.

More than anything else, I try to sing great songs that move people. A musician's job is to interpret stories in a musical way. I believe it's a bit like acting - one doesn't have to hold the convictions of every part played, you just try to understand and let that position resonate within you. I'm pretty sure John Prine isn't singing Angel From Montgomery from his own perspective.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 01-31-2017, 08:55 AM

This guy writes and sings love songs and he's rich.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

One of the things that I always loved about Jim Croce was how he could completely own a song like Bad, Bad Leroy Brown and then knock my socks off with Time in a Bottle.

I think that it takes some outside support to help a songwriter be as authentic as they can be. And many times that support does not come from family and friends but from other performers and musicians. It took me a while to find a few other singer songwriters who have supported me in expressing more sides of myself.

Best of luck on the journey.
Jayne
Old 01-31-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanks for all the Great responses to my question!

What you all made me realize is tough is way to strong of a word to use for what i think I'm feeling. I would replace that word with emotional guy, i think It's more about letting strangers or people i don't know hear a emotional side of me, i leave to only (seems like my Wife) or very small amount of people

this is what doesn't come easy to me i think, because seeing how singing and playing the guitar creates a lot of emotion and passion the people who would be listening is what i think is the problem, not being a tough guy, god knows I'm not, nor would claim to be, got my butt kicked a few times...... I'm only a legend in my own mind......

I really have wanted to play for my Mother just haven't stuck up the nerve yet. I hoping someday soon......

Dennis
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 AM

Sometimes when somebody doesn't "look" like the music they make, I find it even more interesting.

Me, I look like a lumberjack who showed up 40 something years too late to woodstock, but I play mostly 1930's-50's standards and swing tunes. I go with it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
What exactly is tough guy music?
When I started playing four years ago, all I could play were slow songs.
It has stuck with me.

Currently learning versions of-

Wild Horses
Love Me Tender
Killing Me Softly

Play for your Mom, I wish I had that chance.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:23 AM

[/QUOTE]I really have wanted to play for my Mother just haven't stuck up the nerve yet. I hoping someday soon...... Dennis[/QUOTE]

Two of the rules I live my life by are: If I do something, I tell my wife as soon as possible so that there are NO secrets. & Don't do it if you can't tell your mom.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the Great responses to my question!

What you all made me realize is tough is way to strong of a word to use for what i think I'm feeling. I would replace that word with emotional guy, i think It's more about letting strangers or people i don't know hear a emotional side of me, i leave to only (seems like my Wife) or very small amount of people

this is what doesn't come easy to me i think, because seeing how singing and playing the guitar creates a lot of emotion and passion the people who would be listening is what i think is the problem, not being a tough guy, god knows I'm not, nor would claim to be, got my butt kicked a few times...... I'm only a legend in my own mind......

I really have wanted to play for my Mother just haven't stuck up the nerve yet. I hoping someday soon......

Dennis
Well, would you be embarrassed to cry while singing or listening to a song? I have done both. Nothing wrong with either. I'm still alive.

if you want to do it, you should. Embrace the awkwardness.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Play for your mom, she'll love it AND she's the ONLY person it's still OK to drop yer pick in yer soundhole in front of.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Play for your mom, she'll love it AND she's the ONLY person it's still OK to drop yer pick in yer soundhole in front of.
Yes, play for your Mom. I don't know how old you or your mother is but, play for her as you never know what twists and turns life will bring. I started learning guitar in August of 2014. I didn't tell my Mom. She passed away in November 2014 never hearing me play or even knowing I was taking lessons.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
looking from the outside I feel I always needed to be that rough and tough guy so to speak. I'm not but that is the image I feel I portray. When I play and sing I feel a lot of the stuff I like to play is on the softer side of music like John Denver to name one of many, but you get the picture I hope

My comment is does anyone else struggle with this? I sure there are, I feel I'm making headway, but struggle with song choices. I feel I really cater to playing for my Wife and this is ok, but want to play in front of others and I want to move past the self mind image thing and come out of the closet so to speak......

I think its so bad, I've been playing for 5 /12 years and my own Mother still doesn't know I play. Now I haven't lived with her for 32 years so unless I told her she wouldn't know.....

Dennis
What you're talking about happens with recording artist all the time. When songwriters try to shop a new song to Tim McGraw, Jason Aldean, etc.. it's not uncommon to be told "Great song, but it's not right for my artist brand". The image the song projects of the artist is thought about at least in Country Music and Pop Music. Independent artist probably care much less.

In private the songs I pick to learn and play match who I am so I've never really thought about it other than to consciously try to learn a few popular tunes just because I know others will want to hear them. At this point I'm just playing open mics. If I were to start doing paid gigs at clubs and wine bars I would form my set list based on what would be best for the audience at the venue (mostly up tempo songs which acoustic songwriters tend to shy from), because I'd want to be invited back.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 01-31-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilts View Post
Yes, play for your Mom. I don't know how old you or your mother is but, play for her as you never know what twists and turns life will bring. I started learning guitar in August of 2014. I didn't tell my Mom. She passed away in November 2014 never hearing me play or even knowing I was taking lessons.
Wow, Sorry Dave.

OP, are you listening??

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-31-2017, 09:49 AM

When I get in the mood to play "soft" songs, I put on a dress. Sometimes a man just likes to feel pretty.

I haven't done this with my banjo yet, still working up the courage.

.........Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion