The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 03:45 PM

Congrats on a beautiful Martin!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Wow - Congrats on getting your dream guitar! It looks truly awesome. As one who knows what it's like to receive one's dream guitar - I'm really happy for you. Have fun with it!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Congrats -- love the amber colored top! Very cool you used a thermal scanner on it, LOL. Hey, it beats waiting unnecessarily!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-01-2017, 02:35 AM

Default NGD: 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 VTS

Everyone in the house, including me, has a bad cold right now. And, I can't sleep. So, why not take this time to share some initial impressions of the guitar? If I can't sleep, at least my cork sniffing can put you to sleep.

I'll compare it to the Marquis for the time being because it is my reference point. I've also had an HD35, HD28V, HD28E Retro, so I have some experience with the Martin dread.

The playability is great. This neck fits my hands surprisingly well. I don't spend a ton of time on the high frets accompanying my own vocals, but it feels nice up there for chord work. I was worried. But, I didn't need to be.

Martin VTS, or at least this specific example, works. I've only played a few really old Martins. Each time I was always taken by the responsiveness and the "bell" like clarity and harmonic content that comes with old wood. Now, don't get me wrong, the Marquis sounded better than anything I've every owned. But, this guitar is different. Really different. The power of the fundamental notes are pretty close, but the harmonic content with this '37A is off the charts. In fact, I can provide a few objective, concrete, examples.

I have NS micro tuners on the headstocks of all my guitars. They're cheap and small and work well for basic tuning. They've worked well for every guitar I've ever owned. Not this one. The harmonics are so prevalent that the inexpensive guitar tuner spins and can't hone in on the note. I tried three of them to be sure. Same deal. I tired an iPhone tuner app. Same deal. Luckily, the Peterson StroboClip picked it up immediately. I was ready to buy a tuning fork and do it by ear like the old days. I need to try the TC Polytune tomorrow.

Another example is my hearing devices. I bought the best that money could buy last year, when I lost some of my hearing. These devices are amazing. They have multiple modes for speech and music. The speech mode always sounded a little funny when playing the Marquis because of the harmonic content. The Taylors were mostly fine in speech mode. The D/A converter, in speech mode, has a hard time processing and filtering those Martin dread overtone frequencies. The music setting acts like a linear device, for contrast. This guitar, played quietly, was totally overloading the circuit in speech setting.

I remember Tony Rice describing the Clarance White D-28 and having unlimited power. I didn't quite understand that. This artificially aged wood has so much oomph, that the harder you play a note the more volume and harmonic content you get. It sort of blooms or balloons, is the best way I can describe it. I sort of understand the hyperbolic description. I don't think all this stuff gets picked up by instrument mics.

I have tried Monel and Nickel Bronze strings and was not a fan because they seemed to dampen some of that harmonic content. Now, I know why Tony Rice plays them on the D-28. If you're not careful, this "aged" wood is almost too resonant. Never thought I'd be writing that!

Lots of us write about our guitar search ending when we buy a new guitar. It's a little dramatic, in some sense. I can be accused of that. And, I won't suggest that I'll never buy another guitar. But, I'll likely never buy another Martin Dread. I can't imagine anything, that I can afford, sounding more rich and lush.

Allow me now to wax poetic. Kudos to Martin and Willcutt guitars. Thank you to the Martin custom shop who selected the woods and lovingly built this instrument. When you consider how differentiated these guitars are, It's sort of surprising they're charging what they are. The woods on this guitar look and feel like they belong on an 80 year old guitar. The finish makes it feel like an 80 year old guitar. The tone is that of an 80 year old guitar. Only the pristine condition tells the truth. KyDave and I were blessed to get wood sets like this. You just don't see them that often. They were so distinct, for instance, that we compared serial numbers. We're 4 guitars apart! I suspect these were selected and sat on the benches at the same time. They both look like Brazilian rosewood that belongs in the Martin museum.

I NEVER thought I'd spend this much on a guitar. Now, I think it was sort of under priced! :-)

I guess guitar dreams come true.

Now, hopefully, I can get to sleep and have some other guitar dreams.

Night

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-01-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

So, David, are you trying to say you love your new Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 VTS? Congratulations & Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 AM

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
So, David, are you trying to say you love your new Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 VTS? Congratulations & Enjoy!

I find it mildly entertaining. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 AM

You don't have to convince me, my OM-18 A '33 is actually the least expensive Martin I currently own (don't count the GPCPA1), and it has ruled the roost since the day I got it almost 3 years ago, it set the responsiveness benchmark.

Martin Authentics are the BEST !~!~!

Enjoy your D-28 A '37, they are beasts..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Dave,

You are really affecting my GAS level for wanting one of these D-28 Authentic 1937 models. I have been lusting after one of these since they came out and you and kydave are only making things worse for me.

As some of the baseball radio announcers have commented after a big grand slam home run, "My, Oh MY!!!"

Seriously, I am so glad you are happy with your new D-28A 1937. What a wonderful dreadnought to have sitting right there in your house, just waiting for you to pick it up and make it sing!

Good for you! I am sorry about your cold, however.

- Glenn
Old 02-01-2017, 01:39 PM

There are nice guitars and others where you just go 'oh wow....'

Happy for you!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:17 PM

Glenn,

There ain't no pockets in the coffin!! (stolen line from a friend's song)

You KNOW you should!!!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow, Dave,

You are really affecting my GAS level for wanting one of these D-28 Authentic 1937 models. I have been lusting after one of these since they came out and you and kydave are only making things worse for me.

As some of the baseball radio announcers have commented after a big grand slam home run, "My, Oh MY!!!"

Seriously, I am so glad you are happy with your new D-28A 1937. What a wonderful dreadnought to have sitting right there in your house, just waiting for you to pick it up and make it sing!

Good for you! I am sorry about your cold, however.

- Glenn

At first, I figured a guitar like this was unobtainable. Then, the more I considered it, I decided that I only live once. It will be nice to focus my attention on one guitar.

To swing it, I sold everything but the 12 string, including some other gear. I think it was worth it. And, I may actually need to trade down on the 12 string too.

It's a good thing I played it yesterday. I'm so congested I can't hear a thing. I might have thought it was a dud! :-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-01-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Glenn,

There ain't no pockets in the coffin!! (stolen line from a friend's song)

You KNOW you should!!!

Amen. Your decision inspired me to "just do it." Plus, I didn't realize they had any that looked as nice as yours until you posted.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:16 PM

Btw, I installed a Schatten HFN active pickup in the guitar this afternoon. There is exactly enough room for this unit on the bridge plate. It's narrower than K&K discs. It sounds very good so far. Based on this initial impression, I'm a bit surprised they aren't more popular. Thanks Mike and Ken.

Of course, I'll know better when my cold clears. It installed it with the VBH tape. I used the K&K designed jig to line it up. I got a little misty eyed reaming the end pin jack. Guitar gods please forgive me.

I hope to be in a position to recommend it as a solution for future '37A owners.

I'm playing Saturday in a band situation, so I'll learn really quickly if it can stay in there.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-01-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Dave, major congrats on finding your guitar. There is nothing better than coming together with an instrument that was made for you. I feel like I am one of the lucky few.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion