The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchpkr View Post
Anyone else got this problem?
If you do some research on epistemology and take the time to explore some of the theories then you will discover that reflection is an important component of continuous development. Thinking about what you have done and how you can do something different is a widely accepted theory in those circles.

Martin Simpson plays all his tunes in his head when travelling, working out new approaches, routines. It does work.

Most of us do it subconsciously, the secret is to be purposeful with reflection rather than let it drift in an out of focus when it occurs in your sub conscience

J
Old 01-28-2017, 05:53 PM

I carry a D'addario finger exerciser in my vehicle with me to use while I am on the road (I am on the road for many hours weekly.) And finding time to play/practice is often difficult, but once I get started, it is often several hours before I notice how long I have been at it between mandolins and guitars. But the exerciser at least lets me feel like I am doing something other than waste time while driving from location to location (and has a side benefit of my pinky finger getting stronger.)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:18 PM

For years I was a "casual" guitar player at most. I never took the time to really study the instrument. One day I woke up and thought about all those wasted years and what I could have accomplished.

Now at 34, 2 young kids, several businesses and virtually no time I've made a commitment to really learning the guitar. I'm doing exercises I did on the trumpet when I was 7... and it's challenging. But I'm learning more and enjoying playing more than I ever did when I just focused on playing chords. So for me... I think about practicing a lot. I try to get in as much as possible although it's challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 09:03 PM

I hated practicing until I turned 50 last year and was blessed to be able to upgrade from my decades old very modest fender dreadnought to a Taylor and a Martin -- I love them both for different reasons! Taylor 314 ce and Martin MMV. (Thanks to my lovely wife!) I can't believe how much difference it makes when you have guitars you love and still smell good!!

That said, it helps me to work on songs I like, exploring and practicing different styles, and taking joy in making the most of simple exercises, trying to see it all as music not just mechanical exercises. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Life gets in the way of practicing sometimes. There are a lot of times I will suddenly say to myself "Why am I reading about guitars (here) instead of playing one?" So then I will close my browser and grab a guitar......

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 PM

Yeah, it's funny how when one hits their 50s, you are willing to do what you either didn't have time for in your 20s or weren't willing to tackle back then.
That's exactly right, Barry!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:12 AM

re: mental practice

I watched a clip recently of Steve Vai, IDK if it was from a guitar clinic or a lesson course (like Truefire), but he said he practices "in his head" all the time (or did)... he says, for example, when he's lying in bed and can't sleep, he would go over scales and such in his head, or a piece he was working on. It's just visualization, as some have mentioned.

I think it works for some people better than others. I do it, but not on purpose- it just happens, because I can't stop thinking about music.

As to the OP: yes. So many days go buy when I don't pick it up... no time, too tired, etc... and I feel guilt for it, which doubles the negativity. Interestingly, I found a recent cure: I got asked to fill-in for someone who can't make a gig, and I've HAD to spend every extra moment learning a setlist. Because I HAVE to. I've played every day for 3 weeks, whether it was for 30 minutes or 3 hours.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 AM

From Animal Crackers -

Groucho: What do you get an hour?

Chico: For playing, we get-a ten dollars an hour.

Groucho: I see. What do you get for not playing?

Chico: Twelve dollars an hour. Now for rehearsing we make special rates. That’s-a fifteen dollars an hour.

Groucho: And what do you get for not rehearsing?

Chico: You couldn’t afford it. You see, if we don’t rehearse, and if we don’t-a play, that runs into money.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:33 PM

In the past I played with a group every few weeks and that was motivation enough to practice... because you sort of had to, or at least had reason to. And it felt rewarded to play in front of people.

Many years ago I stepped out to reclaim my time to other endeavors, now I don't pick up my guitars much anymore. It is amazing how you actually lose your edge as well over time.

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 02-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm talking about being so busy during the day and looking forward to practicing. But when I get home it doesn't happen.
I hear you. Sometimes it seems there isn't enough time, and then you can only get 15 or 20 minutes.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about being so busy during the day and looking forward to practicing. But when I get home it doesn't happen.
Oh man, I can't remember seeing many posts around here that pack so much truth in such a short statement.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion