The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Preferred Top Wood?
Spruce 57 26.27%
Mahogany 79 36.41%
Koa 53 24.42%
Engelmann 28 12.90%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I bought the spruce top / rosewood model. I didn't care for the mahogany or koa as much, but they are nice. I'm not sure any of these can compete with a standard sized guitar. But, they certain have their advantages in comparison to other travel sized instruments.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Bought one of those as a farewell present for a friend. Several people chipped in. I had it for a week. I was very impressed. I have a spruce/mahogany myself. I liked spruce/rosewood a lot. But particularly the ES2 system in it. I thought that sounded excellent plugged in. And the control buttons are nice and unobtrusive. And the removable battery compartment is the BOMB.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
I have never tried any other GSM other than the Holden Village (Eng. Spruce top). I do love the bright yet warm responsiveness. Interestingly, right now I am leaning toward the Alvarez AP70, not because of the sound, but the neck and string spacing. Just more comfy as I learn fingerstyle from the AMAZING Steven King (kingofguitar.com). In person, no less!

I expect that I will return to the GSM, as I have before, as well as the Seagull and the Wechter and the Teton. What can I say....I'm fickle!
The string spacing and scale length is why I settled on the Alvarez parlors as well. And, I did like the tone better than any of the mini's. I think the Holden Village is my favorite of the mini's.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-12-2016, 08:42 AM

I prefer the mahogany top. The sitka was a bit too bright for my taste and I don't recall whether I liked the Koa or not. The choice when purchasing was between sitka and mahogany for me.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:58 AM

Default GS Mini: Spruce v. Mahogany v. Koa v. Engelmann

It's interesting for me to read about people on here not enjoying the koa version of the GS Mini as much as the others. Personally when I played all three versions, I instantly fell in love with the koa warmth and strong midrange. The sitka was a bit brighter than I would prefer, and the mahogany felt just a little too dull of a sound to me. All are wonderful guitars, but the koa sound in combination with the solid koa wood top having the potential to open up with more bass really had me sold! Not to mention how beautiful the wood is to look at But perhaps I am biased (I've always had a mesmerizing affinity towards koa on anything heh). Either way, I absolutely love my koa GS Mini
Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 PM

Ran into this Koa a few days ago. GAS hit me pretty bad...

Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 AM
BanGuest23456

Just bought a mahogany on Saturday, my first guitar. Worked on it so much this weekend my fingers are numb so its actually a bit hard to type this, so I'll keep it short.

Tried the spruce top also, found it to be a little tinny, and the mahogany had a more uniform, balanced sound (at least to my untrained ears). No Koas in any stores around me to test, so I can't speak about them, but given the consistent excellence of Taylor guitars, I'm sure they are outstanding as well. The reality is that for the money, I'd take the worst-sounding Taylor over any other guitar, though as a lefty the number of available to demo in a store can be admittedly few in number. No matter which of them you choose, all the minis sound great.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:41 PM

I've played most all varieties (not Koa), but to my ears the Holden Village mini is still my favorite tonally speaking.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
Just bought a mahogany on Saturday, my first guitar. Worked on it so much this weekend my fingers are numb so its actually a bit hard to type this, so I'll keep it short.

Tried the spruce top also, found it to be a little tinny, and the mahogany had a more uniform, balanced sound (at least to my untrained ears). No Koas in any stores around me to test, so I can't speak about them, but given the consistent excellence of Taylor guitars, I'm sure they are outstanding as well. The reality is that for the money, I'd take the worst-sounding Taylor over any other guitar, though as a lefty the number of available to demo in a store can be admittedly few in number. No matter which of them you choose, all the minis sound great.
Your first guitar and you already feel confident enough to make that statement?
Old 10-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Came to my senses and passed on that Koa I mentioned recently. Back to loving my GS Mini Mahogany. I'm proud of myself for not falling victim to GAS
Old 10-24-2016, 08:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I don't own one, but I played a few and I liked the koa best.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-25-2016, 09:07 PM

Tried all except the engelmann and went with the mahogany. I find the mahogany has the best sound for the gs mini body, more solid sound and louder than the koa. The 2 koas i tried sound muffed a bit. The spruce is a bright sounding wood already and put in a smaller body tend to produce a thin bright sound, like jangly sound and makes me feel like playing a small guitar, unlike the mahogany makes you sound like you are holding a bigger guitar. Btw i was interested at first with the spruce but did not work for me. I tried these guitars side by side in 3 guitar shops, and it was mahogany all the way. thanks
Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 PM

I change my vote to the Koa!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 PM

I think the mini's are generally great but the hog is the line's sweetspot IMO.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:08 PM

Mahogany for me over the spruce and koa top ones. mahogany has fuller sound and does not sound like you are playing a small guitar. Spruce sounds thin. the koa did not impress me. kept going back to the mahogany so I got one. that was in June 2016.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:34 AM

I agree with Spruce sounding too thin and mahogany sounding very full.

Last edited by DaveJTR; 06-11-2020 at 07:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion